Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#61185 - 03/22/09 10:06 PM Re: Bridgestone / Firestone Warning
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Didn't firestone have this problem like back in 2000-2002? I remember about the ford explorers and the sports having problems with blow outs. Im glad he is okay.
#61186 - 03/22/09 11:05 PM Re: Bridgestone / Firestone Warning
palsut Offline
Loc: Batavia, Ohio
Good explain. wink

Dre da GP man: Yes, I do remember about Ford Explorers problem. I never forget that story. I don't know if you still remember that.

The boy's parent driving Ford Explorer. They both DIDN'T wear seat belt. When the tire blown then they got flipping over. They were thrown out. The boy blame tire as title "Firestone kill my parent". I was thinking boy is confused because his parent didn't wear seat belt which it is their fault. I wish I could find that link. That's how I remember that little bit. I know they cause few death and lot of accident. It was really shame. I thought Firestore will be out of business after that.
#61187 - 03/22/09 11:13 PM Re: Bridgestone / Firestone Warning
MAC GTP Offline
Loc: Willow Grove,PA
good lookin out rick.

ill check mine tonight, hope everything works out for ya, im happy you and the car are safe.
#61188 - 03/23/09 12:06 AM Re: Bridgestone / Firestone Warning
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by palsut:
Good explain. wink

Dre da GP man: Yes, I do remember about Ford Explorers problem. I never forget that story. I don't know if you still remember that.

The boy's parent driving Ford Explorer. They both DIDN'T wear seat belt. When the tire blown then they got flipping over. They were thrown out. The boy blame tire as title "Firestone kill my parent". I was thinking boy is confused because his parent didn't wear seat belt which it is their fault. I wish I could find that link. That's how I remember that little bit. I know they cause few death and lot of accident. It was really shame. I thought Firestore will be out of business after that.
There were hundreds of deaths before they did the recall. In Arizona it seemed to happen almost weekly you would hear about another fatal due to a Firestone blowout. It was the Firestone tires not able to take the heat in warmer climates and the Ford Exploder having a high center of gravity.
#61189 - 03/23/09 01:00 AM Re: Bridgestone / Firestone Warning
98greenGT Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by 72chevman:
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Candelario:
[b] The spare is still 39.

Moral of the story: INSPECT YOUR BRIDGESTONE/FIRESTONE TIRES!!!
Do you have a full size spare? I thought temp spares were to be 60 PSI.

Moral of the story. INSPECT YOUR TIRES! Any brand, poo happens.

cheers No hate here Richard cheers [/b]
Yes Richard has a full size spare. Looks like it finally came in handy Richard haha, sucks under the circumstances though.

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
WizAired CAI, Impala 12" Brake Upgrade, ZZP Alternator Rewire and Voltage Booster, Rotated Dogbone Mounts, Kicker KS690 6x9s, JBL GTO427 4s, JBL P652S 6.5s
2001 Ford F150 XLT SuperCab
Stock, LineX, 212K
#61190 - 03/23/09 02:09 AM Re: Bridgestone / Firestone Warning
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by palsut:
Good explain. wink

While it was partly their fault for not buckling up, it WAS Firestones fault also. Not only did they have this problem for a long time before recalling it, it's believed they tried to cover it up too. Or tried to cover up their knowledge about it. Or something like that.

But like I said a few posts back, that wasn't the first time Firestone had blowout problems & a recall. I will NEVER put Firestone tires on my car, period. Ever. At all.
#61191 - 03/23/09 07:42 AM Re: Bridgestone / Firestone Warning
72chevman Offline
Loc: Where Dorthy,Toto & Wicked Wit...
I challenge everyone to pay attention as they drive today. I bet you will find at least one vehicle that has a visibly under inflated tire. The average driver does not check their own tires. I bet I saw over 10 on the highway this past trip. One was so bad I sped up to 90+ to warn this guy in a newer GXP. He was running pretty hard and I was going 78 with the cruise on. There were two pickups behind him, so it took me awhile to get to hime
03 GT, STB, GM HD sway bars, 35% tint, GE893(37watt)fogs, Flowtech Terminators, 180 T-stat, ZZP DP & PCM, Ceramic PLOG & Crossover, 18" glasspack, 2007 17" Mustang Bullits 235/55/17 Pirelli PZero Nero, 12" R1 D\S rotors, gutted air box, GTP radiator
#61192 - 03/23/09 08:49 AM Re: Bridgestone / Firestone Warning
andrew383 Offline
Loc: so. indiana
Quote:
Originally posted by ifitwasnt4u:
There were hundreds of deaths before they did the recall. In Arizona it seemed to happen almost weekly you would hear about another fatal due to a Firestone blowout. It was the Firestone tires not able to take the heat in warmer climates and the Ford Exploder having a high center of gravity.
the problem was that ford put the tire pressure 28/29 psi.When you run a tire that low it cant cool itself properly and it will blow out,no matter what tire you have.im glad richard is ok but you guys need to read the real facts behide the whole ford/firestone deal.In my opinion its 60/40 ford being most at fault.

On a side note i used to work in the tire business and i had a guy buy a set of tires for his 3/4 ton chevy and come back a week later with a blow out.It was a dueler at load range E.The guy had been hauling 2 cars worth about $500k when it happened.i asked the guy what he was doing or if he had hit anything and he said no.then i asked him what the pressures were when he started the trip and he stated he lowered the rears to 60 psi from the 80 psi i put in them,why?because it rode better.

03 slp-fwi-udp-gmpp-aeroforce
#61193 - 03/23/09 08:51 AM Re: Bridgestone / Firestone Warning
andrew383 Offline
Richard you said you heard a "rumble then drove 1 mile" so you drove on a tire that was flat or goin flat?

#61194 - 03/23/09 09:18 AM Re: Bridgestone / Firestone Warning
Richard Candelario Offline
I suppose the tire was going flat. I dunno, I wasnt outside the car watching the tire. That and the bridge I was on had a small-ish shoulder. I was NOT gonna pull over ON the bridge.

Yes, I own 5 Torque Star rims. As of Saturday morning, I had 5 Potenza RE92 tires. As of Saturday afternoon, I have 4 Potenzas and some other Firestone loaner tire. The Discount Tire here in Lufkin has another RE92 to replace my blow out. THAT RE92 is gonna stay in the trunk until I can replace it with a Goodyear Eagle.

98GreenGT: you are right, but at least I had it. The wife has spent a bit of time poking fun at me because I couldnt fit the spare in the well. Glad she was proven wrong, but it sucks that I had to prove her wrong like this.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#61195 - 03/23/09 08:50 PM Re: Bridgestone / Firestone Warning
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by andrew383:
Quote:
Originally posted by ifitwasnt4u:
[b] There were hundreds of deaths before they did the recall. In Arizona it seemed to happen almost weekly you would hear about another fatal due to a Firestone blowout. It was the Firestone tires not able to take the heat in warmer climates and the Ford Exploder having a high center of gravity.
the problem was that ford put the tire pressure 28/29 psi.When you run a tire that low it cant cool itself properly and it will blow out,no matter what tire you have.im glad richard is ok but you guys need to read the real facts behide the whole ford/firestone deal.In my opinion its 60/40 ford being most at fault.[/b]
That's Firestone's accusation. Ford, on the other hand, says that Firestone failed to include a nylon overlay that would have changed things.

Frankly, I'm more inclined to believe Ford for two reasons:
1. Firestone was the only brand it happened on. If it would happen on any tire, like you say, then why didn't it?
2. Again, that was NOT the first time Firestone has had problems with their tires.

We may have to agree to disagree on this one, but I believe Firestone was mostly (if not totally) at fault.
#61196 - 03/24/09 08:20 PM Re: Bridgestone / Firestone Warning
andrew383 Offline
i wont debate the fact that firestone had a part in it because it was proved that a part of the tire was left out.My point is that its not all the tires problem it was fords as well,would the tires held up if the pressures were 35psi and not 28psi?Allof the wreck's happened AT hwy speed not rollin through town.I know there was plenty on aired up firestones that came into the shop that got replaced. cheers

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3