Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63098 - 07/31/04 02:24 PM Wishy-washy AC
cheetah Offline
Loc: Omaha, NE
In the last month or so, I've begun having the problem of the compressor shutting off while the AC is running, even on Max. You can tell because the air coming from the vents gets that feel of running over rapidly warming coils. Then the compressor will kick back on for a bit, then off, and so on. It seems worse on the humid days that are so prevalent here in the Midwest. I took it into a Ponitac dealer and they checked over the system. They had to add about a 1/2lb of R-134 to the system. It seemed to help some, but I'm still getting the on again/off again problem. I notice a somewhat musty smell when the AC first turns on, which leads me to think that the drain line is possibly partly blocked since I don't hear sloshing, nor have a wet passenger floor. It will sometimes kick off just a couple minutes after starting it up, especially after sitting in the lot at work all day. Besides a drain line, I've also read that a malfunctioning low-pressure sensor could cause problems like that too. I'm rather preplexed on what the true cause might be and if it would be something I could fix myself vs spending more at the dealer's shop. Thanks!
#63099 - 08/01/04 07:09 AM Re: Wishy-washy AC
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Sorry I have no clue.
#63100 - 08/01/04 08:12 PM Re: Wishy-washy AC
tallpaul Offline
Loc: waukee iowa
There is a tech bulletin out on this problem, in hot humid climates like ours in iowa and nebraska
those systems were undercharged at the factory.
to fix it right it needs to be evacuated and recharged with 2.25 lbs of r 134 to the system.
and also watch the outside air temp reading on your ac display sometimes they go erratic and not read the correct temp. i just had one do that on a 2000 olds intrique this week. paul in iowa. and by all means have the drain checked too. that is very important to have open.
1994 olds ciera s sedan
adriatic blue-drk blue interior
P195-70/R14 uniroyal tiger paw touring radials mounted on factory olds aluminum wheels.
#63101 - 08/01/04 08:23 PM Re: Wishy-washy AC
RawGTP Offline
Loc: HAYWARD,CA
Its going to a lot streesful and easy to take it to an A/C shop and let them take care of it, and if later on failes for anyreason they should warranty their job and you just take it back.

Just how I dreamed it to have it!!
#63102 - 08/03/04 10:55 PM Re: Wishy-washy AC
cheetah Offline
Loc: Omaha, NE
Thanks TallPaul. I took it back to the dealer today. They found out that they had undercharged the system when I had it in last time. The guy thinks the tech may have used an old spec. So they recharged it again, for free, to the correct amount. All the way home today, despite the oppressive humidity and heat, nothing but ice-cold air came out in a constant stream from the vents.
#63103 - 08/04/04 08:24 AM Re: Wishy-washy AC
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
friggin loser mechanics. Nice to here they corrected their mistake with out a hassle. Enjoy the summer while you can. The leaves are startin to turn colors here. Do I forsee snow in late september early october?