Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63195 - 06/12/07 07:05 PM New Strunts/springs and bushings?
NMPatronis Offline
Loc: Charlotte NC.
Hey guys, I am sitting at 185k on original springs and struts. I was looking at a 2005 Bonneville GXP but I can't get past the $500/month payment. I decided to spend a little money on my GTP. I was looking to do the struts/springs and replace all the bushings. Any ideas on where to get the bushings and what Struts/springs do you all recommend. Better than stock performance would be nice but money is an issue. Plus can you guys think of anything else I might want to look at replacing / upgrading.

Thanks a lot
Nick
#63196 - 06/12/07 09:49 PM Re: New Strunts/springs and bushings?
Drew521 Offline
Loc: New Jersey
Do a search....

but i'll help you out anyway -
GR-2 Struts, ZZP mounts, and stock replacement springs (or GMPP springs if you want a little drop) will get the job done for about $500.
There are no bushings for the strut assembly.

And I can think of a thousand things you'd want to replace at 185k, starting with your car. Are you sure you want to put money into this? Your car better be in really good condition to put more money into it.
#63197 - 06/13/07 05:11 AM Re: New Strunts/springs and bushings?
Hal_396 Offline
Loc: Iowa
I bought these quick struts for my GT. Best price I could find. $156 ea, (rear ones) to my door. They are stock replacements so keep that in mind.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
#63198 - 06/13/07 11:19 AM Re: New Strunts/springs and bushings?
Digitallyphoenix Offline
Loc: Daytona beach, Fl
springs dont normally wear out... struts do.

i would leave your springs and get a set of the KYB GR2 struts. i have the GR2's on my Z34 i also have the eibach springs.

for suspension upgrades:
-sway bar bushings. OEM if you get the energy suspension bushings DO NOT USE the brackets that come with them... they will break! they are weak steel and crack. if you must use your stock brackets and a piece of the old bushing to fill up the gaps.

-Strut Tower braces. make a world of diff!
-wider tires atleast upfront. go to 245's by what ever fits. 16' 17' ect.

other things i would do are as follows:
-fuel filter
-flush the brake fluid wiht all new fluid
-check your engine mounts for cracks and replace if ness.
-trany fluid/filter change
-professional injector cleaning. they hook the car up to a machine that presure cleans them.
-plugs and wires
- check battery grounds and any Neg grounded to the body for corrosion and clean.
-deff coolent flush
-check the CV boost for tears on the axle
-look for any leaks

these are all the things i would do if i just got a new Used car.

96 Z34 (3.4L DOHC RIP PB 14.81@92.2): www.cardomain.com/id/z34phoenix
L36 swap SD header, 2.5" exhaust, HV3, PowrTuner, Wideband, topswap w/ ported heads to be installed
#63199 - 06/13/07 02:03 PM Re: New Strunts/springs and bushings?
NMPatronis Offline
The car is in great condition and I take pretty good care of it. The engine is strong and so is the tranny. Paint is ok but I wouldn't mind doing it. I am sure the struts are going and I was thinking of doing the lowering springs. As far as the other things i.e Fuel fliter tranny fluid and flilter, I keep the car maintained. I did the Idler pullies and SC coupler last year. I will do a shearch on those items. thanks for the info.
#63200 - 06/17/07 01:15 PM Re: New Strunts/springs and bushings?
NMPatronis Offline
I did a search like you guys suggested. I think I am looking at the KYB GR-2. From looking, it seems that if I lower my car I will start haveing vibrations and other issues that will require more work. So I guess my question is how much more work/replacement will I have to do if I use a lowering spring?