Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63449 - 09/09/05 06:55 PM Ordered coolant bottle, now what?
nad Offline
Loc: Imperial MO
Alright, the 99+ coolant bottle should be here tomorrow or monday. Now I'm looking at the cheapest route to an open cone setup for now, then possibly a custom CAI such as many people have done on here. I've found a few on ebay, and I wanna see if they're worth buying or if I should go with the expensive setup from pfyc (k&n cone and install kit)

Here are the links, tell me what you think:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-97-98...998229029QQrdZ1

Comes with a K&N filter, but once again, I don't know if the intake itself is any good, so you people that know stuff about these things need to enlighten me. Thanks a bunch.

-Dan-

SOLD-1998 Grand Prix GT with 148K. Infinity Reference 5.25s, Pioneer 4 way 6x9s, Yokohama AS430s, Open cone K&N intake, Front strut bar,180* Powerstat, Dual glasspack mufflers w/ removed resonator, and painted under-hood components.-SOLD-

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 81K, 3" turbo-back exhaust, open cone intake, hard IC piping, boost controller, GReddy Type-S BOV, more to come.
#63450 - 09/09/05 10:27 PM Re: Ordered coolant bottle, now what?
ScottGTP Offline
Loc: Cambridge, ONT. CANADA
You are still going to get to much heat unless you go a real CAI. Make it yourself with PVC and a K&N cone. About $100- You don't have to pay 199-. But if you have it, do it
#63451 - 09/09/05 10:30 PM Re: Ordered coolant bottle, now what?
nad Offline
I know I'm going to get heat with an open cone, which is why I plan on fabricating my own type of CAI in the future. The intake on the bay auction is cheaper than $100 and bascially the same thing as pvc and k&n filter. Any other suggestions?

-Dan-

SOLD-1998 Grand Prix GT with 148K. Infinity Reference 5.25s, Pioneer 4 way 6x9s, Yokohama AS430s, Open cone K&N intake, Front strut bar,180* Powerstat, Dual glasspack mufflers w/ removed resonator, and painted under-hood components.-SOLD-

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 81K, 3" turbo-back exhaust, open cone intake, hard IC piping, boost controller, GReddy Type-S BOV, more to come.
#63452 - 09/09/05 11:08 PM Re: Ordered coolant bottle, now what?
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
That pic shows the IAT sensor mounted closer to the filter. I don't think there's enough wire for the sensor to reach. You may have to buy the IAT extension, at $24. here , but I could be completely wrong.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#63453 - 09/09/05 11:55 PM Re: Ordered coolant bottle, now what?
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Hello,

If you want to save a few bucks, check this out.
[img]http://www.pdxcgp.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=367[/img]
This is a 9" cone... K&N RE8070(I think) with a rubber coupler, and a 45* fitting. I think $55 would be more then I paid for it all, and as you can see, I was able to build around it.
If you would like to see what it looks like now, you can go here. http://www.pdxcgp.com/forum/album_personal.php?user_id=2
There are also some pictures of a FWI that I made without cutting anything on the car.

Later now,
Clint

http://pdxcgp.com
#63454 - 09/10/05 12:13 AM Re: Ordered coolant bottle, now what?
nad Offline
Hmm, that doesn't look bad crimpton. See, I'm mechanically declined, so when it comes to finding the right coupler and fittings and stuff, I'll screw up. That's why I want something that's relatively cheap, yet already fabricated and ready for assembly.

-Dan-

#63455 - 09/10/05 12:19 AM Re: Ordered coolant bottle, now what?
nad Offline
I figured that in order to get the old coolant bottle out, you have to remove the stock air box. So I don't see any point in removing the stock air box, then removing the coolant bottle, and replacing the stock air box, when that's a perfect opportunity for me to throw an open cone on there and go from there. I'm just trying to find the cheapest and easiest route to a decent open cone setup. I'd like to build my own like that Crimpton, but like I said, I'm not smart enough....

-Dan-

#63456 - 09/10/05 12:41 AM Re: Ordered coolant bottle, now what?
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Dan,

FWIW.....
The part number on the filter is actually RE0870(I looked it up)
The Rubber coupler is a 3" coupling found at most hardware stores.
The 45* is a 3" Street 45*. This means that it has a hub at one end, and is pipe size at the other.
That's 2 fittings, and a filter.
The only thing you have to deal with is figuring out how to plug your IAT sensor into it. This usually involves a grommet, and drilling a hole to fit the IAT grommet into.
Or, you can spoof your PCM with a resistor, and not worry about plugging in your IAT sensor..... Not my preferred choice on the street, but I've used it at the track.

Later now,
Clint

http://pdxcgp.com
#63457 - 09/10/05 06:43 AM Re: Ordered coolant bottle, now what?
DoberManJT Offline
Loc: North Carolina - Raleigh/Cary
A couple quick points about that ebay intake:

1. it comes with a small K&N (only 6.5in length)
2. it is a very generic setup, and the "chrome" piece has a very sharp turn right at the filter
3. you'd be much better off getting the components and assembling yourself compared to the quality of what they're selling -- you might be surprised at how easy a basic open-cone intake is to put together

04 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, LPE intake system, headers, dyno tune from "RPM"

http://photobucket.com/albums/v221/Dobermanjt/GrandPrix/
#63458 - 09/10/05 04:45 PM Re: Ordered coolant bottle, now what?
nad Offline
Crimpton, what type of grommet would I need to use for the IAT sensor?? Thanks for explaining the parts to me, now the only thing that makes me think is the IAT sensor hole. How to go about drilling it and what type of grommet to buy and install so the IAT sensor attaches and sits properly. Any suggestions?

-Dan-