Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#65611 - 07/07/02 11:49 PM Using OnStar antenna for cell phone
bobeeze Offline
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Is the onstar antenna acessable to use adapt for cell phone use? Two reasons, Onstar outrageous phone rates and my insurance company won't give me an additional discount for the auto theft tracking I get only a 5% discount for the kill switch I had installed.
Back to the question, has anyone tried this? If so let's hear on how & the outcome. I get some crappy reception in some areas of Las Vegas(Sprint PCS )
Thanks
#65612 - 07/09/02 09:48 AM Re: Using OnStar antenna for cell phone
Chrissy from MA Offline
Loc: Kingston, MA
I work for Verizon Wireless so I know the answer....sorry, but its No. Unfortunatlty the Onstar antenna can only pick up the 1200 range frequency. Sprints "PCS" is 1900 mghz. Verizon Wireless uses 800 and 1900 in some areas, same with Cingular and At&T. Either way, you will need a new antenna as well as obviously the phone. Technlogy is different so you will have to get a phone and handsfree kit from Sprint. (by, the way...why did you choose Sprint if they have crappy reception??) Hope this helps.....also one side note....for your new phone dont drill holes in your car....there is a special mount you can purchase from Panavise that is custom for each car...it uses the same screws that hold in your radio....no holes needed. The one for the GP is about $20.00. Email me off the list and I can see about getting you one if you want (like I said, I work for Verizon Wireless scheduling installs all day). ladyvyxen666@yahoo.com Chrissy

Mods: Thrasher CAI w/ Relocated IAT Sensor, STB's, 180-Tstat, RT High flow CAT, SLP Loudmouth Exhaust, DHP PCM, MSD Coils,GM Tranny Cooler, Painted calipers w/ Grandprix decals,MSD Coils,PIAA superwhite headlights and Superwhite fogs,clear corners, and a whole lotta bass....
#65613 - 07/09/02 09:54 AM Re: Using OnStar antenna for cell phone
Chrissy from MA Offline
Loc: Kingston, MA
One other note...in optimal conditions an installed handfree kit w/ glass mount antenna will increase reception by up to 30%. (but i did say UP TO....with Sprint only god knows...lol haahaa)

wink wink

Mods: Thrasher CAI w/ Relocated IAT Sensor, STB's, 180-Tstat, RT High flow CAT, SLP Loudmouth Exhaust, DHP PCM, MSD Coils,GM Tranny Cooler, Painted calipers w/ Grandprix decals,MSD Coils,PIAA superwhite headlights and Superwhite fogs,clear corners, and a whole lotta bass....