Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#66888 - 05/01/03 06:41 PM Intermittent rear speakers
why2kmax Offline
Loc: Bel Air Maryland
Hi guys,

I have a 2000 GTP with the 6 speaker (non bose) single CD with EQ and the rear speakers work intermittently.
They never work when cold but ONLY work after the car has been sitting in the sun for an hour or so. Temperature alone seems to have little to do with it. It was sunny and 70 yesterday and they worked after the car sat in the sun, but today it was 80 and cloudy but the rears wouldnt work at all. Same thing on one 50 deg day, it was sunny and they worked, but 60 and rainy, forget it.

Another anomaly is that the passenger side rear will shut down before the drivers side rear. Example, yesterday I drove the car to work at 5am, neither rear worked.. Drove home, after sitting in sun all day, both rears worked, 3/4 of the way home, right rear went out but drivers rear worked. Ive talked to a few others with 2000s also who have the problem but no solution. Does anyone know what is wrong? I figured I would ask first before tearing stuff up. confused Thanks

Jeff
#66889 - 06/14/03 11:55 AM Re: Intermittent rear speakers
He&She Offline
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Hey..OK, We have a 2000GT with same stuff in audio. Equilizer..etc. We just purchased it with 12K, and after one week the right rear went dead..on and off dead. They replaced it and now the left is "blown" sound dead.

Not that we have experienced the same anomolies, but it apppears GM had some audio problems that year.

On/Off is indicitive of wire-mating issues. Ya know, dirt on the connections. A better, user fixable problem.Or..it's a component overheating issue, requiring replacement.

Sorry I could not give you the failsafe solution.

Enjoy
#66890 - 06/14/03 04:46 PM Re: Intermittent rear speakers
why2kmax Offline
Loc: Bel Air Maryland
Well I had a dealer check it out after getting frustrated with it and they said the speakers were bad. I bought a set of kicker 6x9s off Ebay for $80 and put them in and they work great. No problems so far.

Be careful which speakers you buy though, not all 6x9s will fit back there with the rear deck in place.