Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#67110 - 03/10/04 04:30 PM Rear Rotors
why2kmax Offline
Loc: Bel Air Maryland
Any opinions on what to get for new rear rotors? Im going with the GMPP 12" front rotor upgrade

My rear rotors are scored and the pads are almost shot so I figured ID do them at the same time.

GM doesnt seem to have anything but stock rear rotors. Id maybe try powerslots but where is a good place to get em? GP store? Any other places?

Thanks
Jeff
#67111 - 03/10/04 10:50 PM Re: Rear Rotors
Adam S. Offline
Loc: Milwaukee, Wi
Hey, Jeff. I'd just go with stock-style ones. Brembo from Italy makes a nice quality, good priced rotor, which is as good as OE. As for the slotted rotors, the rears don't get nearly as much of a workout as the fronts, especially since you're upgrading the fronts. The slotted or drilled rotors don't really offer any benefit, especially on the rear, unless you're really doing some serious performance driving or roadracing. All that the slots do is allow the hot pad gasses to vent a little easier. They really don't help out stopping distance or performance unless they really get hot; then the tendency to "fade" will be less. The stockers will do fine, but remember that the OE GM rotors will have a painted center section, which won't rust as fast, which may make a cosmetic appearance difference from the outside of the wheel. But, they are expensive, and the appearance part may not matter to you. Just so you know, GM has updated the design of the rear pads for these cars numerous times, mainly to make them quieter. Like I always preach (and no one listens), get the OE GM pads at least. You can expect about 70k or more out of the redesigned rear pads, and they'll work perfectly.
#67112 - 03/11/04 04:13 PM Re: Rear Rotors
why2kmax Offline
Loc: Bel Air Maryland
Adam, found these numbers but the description on them is vague. Can you shed any light on the difference between the two.

Rear Rotors
18038815 GM slotted/cross drilled rotors??
Are they slotted OR drilled OR both?

18060232 GM Rear OEM Rotors??

the OEM rotors are more expensive. ??

Rear Brake pads
88909660 GM Rear Durastop ceramic brake pads?
18029844 OEM Rear brake pads

again, the OEM pads are more expensive.

any thoughts on which is better?