Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#67345 - 06/30/05 04:08 PM knock retard on my GT
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
so I got my scan gauge today (i'll be writing more about it in the other thread after i get a good handle on it). first thing i did was warm up the car and take it for a spin.

i took it at WOT a few times from say 20-60mph or so. my knock retard is reading ~5.5. I don't know a ton about what's normal, cause i'm slightly new to the scanning thing. i read that you usually lose abour 2 hp per degree of KR...
its about 85 degrees outside with moderate humidity. air intake temps were sitting around 92.

my mods are: Intense PCM, wizaired CAI, 180* t-stat.
i've been running higher octane gas, but i have 87 in my tank now, so i could scan KR with it.

so i'm wondering if this is good, or bad, or normal. i know the intense messes with that stuff, and i'm tempted to swap my stock pcm back in and scan. maybe its just too frickin hot out.

by the way, the aeroforce scangauge is really cool! looks slick and seems to work nice. more about it later!

thanks,
Bill
#67346 - 06/30/05 04:38 PM Re: knock retard on my GT
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
I want to hear more about the amount of knock your aeroforce gauge reads vs. the scan tool. Are they similar?
#67347 - 06/30/05 04:45 PM Re: knock retard on my GT
zuulmusic Offline
the "scan-gauge", as they call it, is the only thing i'm using.

almost on empty...i'll probably throw a quarter tank of 94 in there tonight.
#67348 - 06/30/05 04:53 PM Re: knock retard on my GT
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Oh sorry, I misunderstood and thought you got a scan tool and the gauge.

Canadian GTP had a thread awhile ago where he was troubleshooting his KR (led to his purchase of a downpipe). You might find some things in that topic with regards to normal amounts of KR.
#67349 - 06/30/05 06:21 PM Re: knock retard on my GT
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Zuul, get that 87 octane out of your tank if you're running with a reprogrammed PCM.
I know the PCM's for GTP's require premium (92+ octane). The reason you might be getting KR is because of the low octane fuel matched up with reprogrammed settings from the PCM.
Put your stock PCM back in and scan it. See if your KR improves. If it does, then your problem is with the low octane fuel in your tank & your PCM.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#67350 - 06/30/05 07:26 PM Re: knock retard on my GT
bryanp Offline
Loc: Omaha
Quote:
Originally posted by Austin G T P:
Zuul, get that 87 octane out of your tank if you're running with a reprogrammed PCM.
I know the PCM's for GTP's require premium (92+ octane). The reason you might be getting KR is because of the low octane fuel matched up with reprogrammed settings from the PCM.
Put your stock PCM back in and scan it. See if your KR improves. If it does, then your problem is with the low octane fuel in your tank & your PCM.
What if the premium they offer around here is 91? Is that considored regular for you?

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/684818
#67351 - 06/30/05 07:51 PM Re: knock retard on my GT
AustinGTP Offline
I get 93 in Austin. I think most of TX gets 92.

ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#67352 - 06/30/05 08:16 PM Re: knock retard on my GT
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Fuel stations in the higher altitudes generally see lower octane at the pumps. It has to do with that whole air density issue. 91 in denver is like 93 in L.A. And yes if your running a reprogramed PCM you need to run higher octane fuel. Remember the reprogrammed PCM uses more aggressive timing and fuel tables so you need the high octane.
#67353 - 06/30/05 08:34 PM Re: knock retard on my GT
Daniel Offline
Loc: Virginia
91 is premium around here usually. I use the "Ultra" 93 though for ~ $0.05/gal more since I don't want to mix gas and some stations here use 93 as premium with no 91. Some of the Sunoco stations here offer 94 for ~ $0.20/gal more than 91 too, but it's not worth it.
#67354 - 06/30/05 08:50 PM Re: knock retard on my GT
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Higher octane is the one sure method of reducing KR for those that need to worry about it. If your not modded and running a stock pcm I wouldn't worry about going higher then what the owners manual calls for. A STOCK GT will be fine on 87 and see very little if any gain out of higher octane.
#67355 - 06/30/05 09:38 PM Re: knock retard on my GT
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
my car is mostly stock and I'll never put 87 in it...the cleaner that engine burns (read that more efficent) the longer its going to run without giving you problems...you can skimp when you go to the pump but it saves you nothing...more KR will mean poor mileage and less power...so you'll just use the cheap stuff faster...my car never gets anything less than 89 and if I modded it more it will move up to the premium stuff.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#67356 - 06/30/05 10:01 PM Re: knock retard on my GT
zuulmusic Offline
hey guys thanks...
i usually run 91 or 93, i just threw a quarter tank of 87 in to check the KR.
we have 87,89,91,93,94 in the area. 94 is usually 30-35 cents more than 89.
we'll have to see how things go with 91 now.
thanks again,
bill
#67357 - 06/30/05 10:12 PM Re: knock retard on my GT
AustinGTP Offline
I wish I could get 94 here. I'd gladly pay the extra money for it.

#67358 - 07/01/05 07:16 AM Re: knock retard on my GT
HercMan(Rob) Offline
we have 93 and 94 here and generally run 20 cents more a gallon then 87. And when you total it up for a 12 gallon fill up its $2.40 more a tank.
#67359 - 07/01/05 10:24 AM Re: knock retard on my GT
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBat:
my car is mostly stock and I'll never put 87 in it...the cleaner that engine burns (read that more efficent) the longer its going to run without giving you problems...you can skimp when you go to the pump but it saves you nothing...more KR will mean poor mileage and less power...so you'll just use the cheap stuff faster...my car never gets anything less than 89 and if I modded it more it will move up to the premium stuff.
Actually, if you don't need higher octane and experience no KR, there is no need for it.

Higher octane is just for reducing KR. Knock occurs when the gas explodes too soon during a piston compression. Once you get passed the point where the gas explodes correctly during a compression, anything more does no good.

Also, 93 contains just as much detergents as 87.
“But the advertising says Super gives me really clean gas”
Marketing strategy so you can buy the more expensive gas. Noticed they never advertise 93 contains more detergents than the lower 87.

Thunderbat:
If you have a mostly stock GT, you are just wasting your money by getting Super or racing fuel. It drives different because the higher octane explodes differently. Don’t believe me? Have someone put gas in your car for three times. Don’t let them tell you what they put in. You may like the quick responds of 87. You aren’t treating the car w/ Plus or Super. You can get a 87 and replace the fuel filter more often.

Zuul:
Now, you do need it because the reprogrammed PCM changed the ignition timing in the car. The web site where you got the reprogrammed PCM probably mentions this.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >