Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#67949 - 01/14/10 12:56 PM Re: Compression test finally
grandprix38 Offline
Loc: Seattle Wa
[/QUOTE]Stock head are cast iron,ZZP has aluminum heads for sale for around $2000.Chico(pops) [/QB][/QUOTE]

So stock 97 gp heads are cast iron, when my car overheated it never hit the red line so hopefully it is just the valve prob, and not warped or cracked head, gona start tearing apart today, and get those heads to a shop.

Thanks for editing my sig Blackarrow98gp great Job!
Now to get this babe back together!

1997 Grand Prix SE 3800 series 2
#67950 - 01/14/10 04:07 PM Re: Compression test finally
grandprix38 Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by grandprix38:
Stock head are cast iron,ZZP has aluminum heads for sale for around $2000.Chico(pops) [/QUOTE]

So stock 97 gp heads are cast iron, when my car overheated it never hit the red line so hopefully it is just the valve prob, and not warped or cracked head, gona start tearing apart today, and get those heads to a shop. [/QB][/QUOTE]
So much for that it started pooring here in seattle and all I have is street parking.

#67951 - 01/14/10 05:20 PM Re: Compression test finally
grandprix38 Offline
Start to finish how long does this job usually take, I have torn apart a few engines and put them back together, never a 3800 or any v6's for that matter. Time minus head jobs.
Thanks.

#67952 - 01/14/10 06:50 PM Re: Compression test finally
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
You cannot put a time on something when you have no idea what you're getting into. You don't know what you're going to run into when you pull the head.
#67953 - 01/14/10 07:13 PM Re: Compression test finally
grandprix38 Offline
Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
Originally posted by ordonez1307:
[b] You cannot put a time on something when you have no idea what you're getting into. You don't know what you're going to run into when you pull the head.
Thanks bud if no other problems, I am guesing 8 hrs on a nice sunny day, with no Beer!!! [/b]
[/b]

#67954 - 01/14/10 07:34 PM Re: Compression test finally
Richard Candelario Offline
still tryin to get used to the features this site offers?

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#67955 - 01/14/10 07:36 PM Re: Compression test finally
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:
You cannot put a time on something when you have no idea what you're getting into. You don't know what you're going to run into when you pull the head.
Thanks bud if no other problems, I am guesing 8 hrs on a nice sunny day, with no Beer!!! [/b]
[/b]

You could do it in a day, especially if you had experience with engines before. I really think you should get those heads checked, though. You could have to go through all of it again if they are unfortunately warped. Just post up here if you have any problems, as there are a few of us that can help you out at different times of the day.
#67956 - 01/14/10 07:47 PM Re: Compression test finally
Corey, did you not catch what the good sir had said? He said that he lives in Seattle, and that he does not have a garage available, and he's waiting for a sunny day to do all this. His car might get started in 3 years from now!

I used to live in Neah Bay, I understand.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#67957 - 01/14/10 09:59 PM Re: Compression test finally
grandprix38 Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Candelario:
Corey, did you not catch what the good sir had said? He said that he lives in Seattle, and that he does not have a garage available, and he's waiting for a sunny day to do all this. His car might get started in 3 years from now!

I used to live in Neah Bay, I understand.
Ha ha lol, I usally get a tarp and a drop light if nothing else, tore my 2.3 lt quad 4 and my chevy 5.7 350 engine apart, a few times in this seattle weather, just where the car is parked now its gonna be a little longer then usual.
I lived in Port Angeless for a while too been to neah bay quite a few times, what did you do over there.

Quote:
You could do it in a day, especially if you had experience with engines before. I really think you should get those heads checked, though. You could have to go through all of it again if they are unfortunately warped. Just post up here if you have any problems, as there are a few of us that can help you out at different times of the day.

Yea bringing heads to a machine shop once off, thanks for the advice and tips bud.
Mario

#67958 - 01/14/10 10:51 PM Re: Compression test finally
nyjets91 Offline
Loc: Wallingford/Hartford, CT
I know youre new(ish), but one of the big rules on this forum is language. Just pull out the A-word up there so you don't have any problems
#67959 - 01/15/10 09:00 AM Re: Compression test finally
Quote:
I lived in Port Angeless for a while too been to neah bay quite a few times, what did you do over there.
I was an Air Force brat. Dad was stationed at Makah AFS until it was shut down and turned over to the FAA. Beautiful country, especially if the sun decided to come out. Running down (or at least trying to) Bald Eagles on the beach at sunset while almost surrounded by those lush green cliffs...bummer I didnt appreciate what I was doing at the time. We went to Port Angeles and Calam Bay quite a bit, but that was almost out of necessity as Neah Bay really didnt have much else other than a gas station and a general store. Port Angeles was really nice, up until we went to the Navy yards. Those paper mills kinda killed it for me, ya know?

Since you're doing heads, I would suggest doing injector o-rings and valve cover gaskets while you're there. Cant remember if you're blown or N/A, but if your car is a GT, consider buying an HV3 insert, since your upper manifold would be better off removed. For all I know, it's a requirement on these cars, just like the 60* V6s, to remove the upper and lower intakes to get to the heads.

And yes, one of the biggest no-nos on this site is cussing, right in front of common courtesy/respect. Please remove the profanity from your above post and Herc or Austin wont hunt you down.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#67960 - 01/16/10 12:55 PM Re: Compression test finally
grandprix38 Offline
Quote:
Quote:
[b] I lived in Port Angeless for a while too been to neah bay quite a few times, what did you do over there.
I was an Air Force brat. Dad was stationed at Makah AFS until it was shut down and turned over to the FAA. Beautiful country, especially if the sun decided to come out. Running down (or at least trying to) Bald Eagles on the beach at sunset while almost surrounded by those lush green cliffs...bummer I didnt appreciate what I was doing at the time. We went to Port Angeles and Calam Bay quite a bit, but that was almost out of necessity as Neah Bay really didnt have much else other than a gas station and a general store. Port Angeles was really nice, up until we went to the Navy yards. Those paper mills kinda killed it for me, ya know?

Since you're doing heads, I would suggest doing injector o-rings and valve cover gaskets while you're there. Cant remember if you're blown or N/A, but if your car is a GT, consider buying an HV3 insert, since your upper manifold would be better off removed. For all I know, it's a requirement on these cars, just like the 60* V6s, to remove the upper and lower intakes to get to the heads.

And yes, one of the biggest no-nos on this site is cussing, right in front of common courtesy/respect. Please remove the profanity from your above post and Herc or Austin wont hunt you down. [/b]
Upper post edited, Sorry gentlemen:
No its not a gt so no worries about a hv3 insert, just a 97 grand prix se, which I see some members really put down this particular medel/year. My wife loves it so I will fix it.
Thanks for the advice and yea the paper mills in Port Angeless were a big nusence, lived right above one for years.

#67961 - 01/16/10 01:33 PM Re: Compression test finally
AH! the 3100. If you need, I do have the Chilton's and Haynes' manuals for my 96 Beretta, I'm willing to share info if you cant find the books on your own.

Nm the o-ring and valve cover gasket requirements. The 3100's biggest problem was that it kept spitting head gaskets. Strong, powerful engine, especially for it's size. I wasnt so lucky with the Beretta: The heads warped on mine, which is common with engine failures. Good luck.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#67962 - 01/16/10 05:44 PM Re: Compression test finally
grandprix38 Offline
Quote:
AH! the 3100. If you need, I do have the Chilton's and Haynes' manuals for my 96 Beretta, I'm willing to share info if you cant find the books on your own.

Nm the o-ring and valve cover gasket requirements. The 3100's biggest problem was that it kept spitting head gaskets. Strong, powerful engine, especially for it's size. I wasnt so lucky with the Beretta: The heads warped on mine, which is common with engine failures. Good luck.
I got the 3800 series 2 engine which I heard didn't have a head or hg problem, but since it overheated, and had to drive a bout a half a mile or so in that condition (no where to pull off, heavy traffic etc)could be anything I guese.

#67963 - 01/16/10 07:33 PM Re: Compression test finally
a 3800 v. II in a SE? They did that?

98 L36/MM5
RaC
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >