Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#68009 - 05/19/10 09:03 PM Re: Compression test finally
grandprix38 Offline
Loc: Seattle Wa
I just took it out, I will shrink and put it back up later thanks.

Thanks for editing my sig Blackarrow98gp great Job!
Now to get this babe back together!

1997 Grand Prix SE 3800 series 2
#68010 - 05/28/10 10:43 AM Re: Compression test finally
grandprix38 Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by grandprix38:
well can't complete do to injury, brought front head in to test and lightly deck and repair #3 valves. If it is cracked or warped I will pull rear head and replace with newer head's.
was going tpo check timing chain today but it started raining.
I just brought front head in and had it worked on, machinest called and said head is ready $50.00 so I am asuming that the 80 psi reading was from a leaking head gasket and not a valve prob for that price/Allthough he has done other heads/flywheels/ and sold me many parts before so he may have just given me a deal, when I pick head up I will ask what he did to head..

#68011 - 05/31/10 07:17 PM Re: Compression test finally
grandprix38 Offline
Quote:
Quote:
[b] well can't complete do to injury, brought front head in to test and lightly deck and repair #3 valves. If it is cracked or warped I will pull rear head and replace with newer head's.
was going tpo check timing chain today but it started raining.
I just brought front head in and had it worked on, machinist called and said head is ready $50.00 so I am assuming that the 80 psi reading was from a leaking head gasket and not a valve prob for that price/Although he has done other heads/flywheels/ and sold me many parts before so he may have just given me a deal, when I pick head up I will ask what he did to head.. [/b]
I pulled rear head off today, might as well go with plan(A), and do valve jobs on both heads. There was carbon build up on the rear cylinder walls not clean like the front, is that normal, how can I clean that carbon off?

And thanks for fixing my sig Blackarrow98gp I love it!!!!!!!!!!

#68012 - 06/17/10 10:47 PM Re: Compression test finally
grandprix38 Offline
I just used carb cleaner and cleaned the carbon off, most of it anyway, now waiting on funds to finish the job.

#68013 - 07/10/10 12:26 PM Re: Compression test finally
grandprix38 Offline
Ok #3 cylinder valves on front head was oil collored figured it was from wet compression test, now on rear head #2 valves are slightly darkened and slightly moist, would that be worn valve seals beings the compression was good If I remember about 160 psi.

Machinist said #3 valve took a hit, and had to be ground,so 80psi was due to a burnt/warped valve.Going to bring rear head in this weekend and do the valve work on both heads.

#68014 - 07/10/10 12:31 PM Re: Compression test finally
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
If #2 had 160psi, I wouldn't worry about it at all. #3 at 80psi is the one that should be machined (as it sounds like it was). It sounds like it's ready to go.
#68015 - 07/10/10 12:45 PM Re: Compression test finally
grandprix38 Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by ordonez1307:
If #2 had 160psi, I wouldn't worry about it at all. #3 at 80psi is the one that should be machined (as it sounds like it was). It sounds like it's ready to go.
Yea thanks, I am gonna bring rear head in also and have new seals and valve work done on both heads, someone mentioned a certain degree angle cut on the valves/seats, but I can't remember what it was, said about 6-10 bucks per valve, ahh to much money allready, forget that.I may just bring rear head in to just match up the shave and put new seals in, I thought I was going to be rolling in cash by now but my AK land sale didn't go through for the corperation.
Anyway it was a great experience in taring this engine apart.
Thanks for all the help

#212499 - 01/17/11 03:20 AM Re: Compression test finally [Re: grandprix38]
grandprix38 Offline
Well finally getting this engine back together, valve job on both heads.

Ready to put on Intake

hope this was just an extra gasket cause I can't find a home for it.

And I can't remember if I had rear head off when I pulled exhaust mani out, having trouble finding a way down in there, got to late try tomorrow.

Edited by grandprix38 (01/18/11 10:11 AM)

#212502 - 01/17/11 12:18 PM Re: Compression test finally [Re: grandprix38]
FordMan77 Offline
Loc: St. Louis
That "extra gasket" is one of the Lower Intake Manifold gaskets. There is one on each end where the LIM meets the block. I hope you have one on each end or you will need to tear the LIM off again and install it!
#212504 - 01/17/11 01:19 PM Re: Compression test finally [Re: FordMan77]
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Originally Posted By: FordMan77
That "extra gasket" is one of the Lower Intake Manifold gaskets. There is one on each end where the LIM meets the block. I hope you have one on each end or you will need to tear the LIM off again and install it!

shocked Not good man. Hopefully you just got an extra one, but there should be one of these underneath the front and back of the LIM (left and right side of the car). You should also use RTV on them, especially in the corners where the LIM/Block/Heads meet.
#212506 - 01/17/11 01:26 PM Re: Compression test finally [Re: grandprix38]
r.s.hutchinson Offline
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Yes that is an extra gasket. I actually got quite a few extra gaskets when I got my top end gasket kit. My best guess is that they are used in other applications as well (possibly even variations due to different years? ie, DBW TB on 04+ compared to 97-03) that use the same gaskets so rather than stocking different numbers they just throw all them in one.

I agree though, hope you used some rtv in the corners where the LIM mates to the heads.

As for the rear manifold, might have to ratchet strap the motor forward towards the rad support to get enough room for it to fit back there. Or try from underneath?
#212519 - 01/18/11 10:25 AM Re: Compression test finally [Re: r.s.hutchinson]
grandprix38 Offline

Originally Posted By: ordonez1307

shocked Not good man. Hopefully you just got an extra one, but there should be one of these underneath the front and back of the LIM (left and right side of the car). You should also use RTV on them, especially in the corners where the LIM/Block/Heads meet.

Originally Posted By: r.s.hutchinson
Yes that is an extra gasket. I actually got quite a few extra gaskets when I got my top end gasket kit. My best guess is that they are used in other applications as well (possibly even variations due to different years? ie, DBW TB on 04+ compared to 97-03) that use the same gaskets so rather than stocking different numbers they just throw all them in one.

I agree though, hope you used some rtv in the corners where the LIM mates to the heads.

As for the rear manifold, might have to ratchet strap the motor forward towards the rad support to get enough room for it to fit back there. Or try from underneath?

Thanks gentlemen I updated my pics in previous post to show I had the orange end seals in place and lim bolted down,

but I did pop back off cause I only put rtv under orange seal,(side gaskets were sealed to orange end seals) so swabbed some across the top and now she is back together.

I did rear head rockers and rods, did not put any lube on parts, should I pop off and lube, they been sitting since feb of last year(stupid and anctious(sp) to get rolling)

Can I take apart and just use petroleum jelly on rod ends and roller folcrum(sp) or should I go buy some type of lube?
Thanks again

Edited by grandprix38 (01/18/11 11:03 AM)

#212520 - 01/18/11 11:06 AM Re: Compression test finally [Re: grandprix38]
r.s.hutchinson Offline
Yes, I would use some assembly lube or fairly thick oil on all the drivetrain parts. Oil the lifters, ends of the pushrods and the rockers.

You've already bolted the LIM so forget about the lifters, they'll pump up once you start the car. Oil the rest though.
#212521 - 01/18/11 11:09 AM Re: Compression test finally [Re: grandprix38]
r.s.hutchinson Offline
Don't use vaseline (petroleum jelly).

If you don't have any assembly lube (Comp sells it most likely available at Autozone) then just use some regular oil and use a liberal amount. The thinner the oil, the quicker it's going to run down off of the parts so it's really all in how fast you are going to have this back running.
#212522 - 01/18/11 11:25 AM Re: Compression test finally [Re: r.s.hutchinson]
grandprix38 Offline
Originally Posted By: r.s.hutchinson
Yes, I would use some assembly lube or fairly thick oil on all the drivetrain parts. Oil the lifters, ends of the pushrods and the rockers.

You've already bolted the LIM so forget about the lifters, they'll pump up once you start the car. Oil the rest though.

Thanks r.s.hutchinson I am on my way to schucks. hope to start this by noon. any last minute to do's before I start her up, koeo a couple times or? Thanks again to everyone.

Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 >