Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#68157 - 11/14/02 10:42 AM Very cheap upgrade
Neo GTP Offline
Loc: Niagara Falls
A friend of mine told me of a very cheap upgrade. You need a resistor the colour code is yellow/brown/red/gold. Not sure what that is but ask your local electronics store, should only be a few bucks. Next find your intake air temp sensor. Unplug it with the keys out of the ignition and bend the resistor into a "U" so you can plug each end into the harnes (female end) then seal with electrical tape and fasten somewhere so it does not fly into your belts. what this does is tells your cars computer that tha air comming in is colder than it really is.. thus advancing your timing and giving you a little more hp at warmer temps. Do not use this if the temp is below 50 Deg. F. I tried it and noticed a little bit more punch. Will not trigger any codes or fry anything.
#68158 - 11/14/02 03:22 PM Re: Very cheap upgrade
Chew Offline
Loc: Washington, DC
Just an FYI - This is what some "cheese monkeys" are selling on Ebay as "Performance Mods" or "Mod Chips".

It's pretty funny that some people are willing to pay (I think) $20 for a $0.50 resistor!!!

If you do it yourself, great! But definitely don't buy it from Ebay! wink

Chew

2007 Sly Silver Pontiac Solstice GXP
#68159 - 11/14/02 04:22 PM Re: Very cheap upgrade
Neo GTP Offline
Loc: Niagara Falls
LOL smile I'll have to ask him if that is where he got his info. I think he is smarter than that though.
#68160 - 11/21/02 12:23 AM Re: Very cheap upgrade
EVIL98GT Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
I have heard of people doing this...However if you live in a state that inspects your car head to tow, you might want to be careful. my friend lives in NY and they constantly pull him over for random inspections. they got him cuz he had a craked wiper blad on the passenger side (25$) blah just to start they check everything there. just an FYI
#68161 - 11/21/02 08:34 AM Re: Very cheap upgrade
Charles Weber Offline
Loc: Ankeny, Iowa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by EVIL98GT:
I have heard of people doing this...However if you live in a state that inspects your car head to tow, you might want to be careful. my friend lives in NY and they constantly pull him over for random inspections. they got him cuz he had a craked wiper blad on the passenger side (25$) blah just to start they check everything there. just an FYI
Man, I see some cars running around here that they could balance the budget with. NY sounds a little extreme, but some of the junk should be off the road.

Charles
#68162 - 11/23/02 05:14 PM Re: Very cheap upgrade
BeaSSt Offline
Loc: Savannah, GA
Yea, I remember something like this resistor thing w/ the f-body gang, too. back whe3n I was over there and owned my now total '98 M6 TransAm. Which btw, I did my share of mods on it and this was one of 'em. Thro I can't remember right off hand what size resistor it was we used. I purchase a pack of 'em and whats left should be in my toolboxes somewhere up North(in Chattanooga, Tn). But, I jad forgotten about that mod. til Neo GTP brought it up.

Anyhoo, once I installed the resistor in the LS1 of the TransAm, I just forgot about it. Maybe that why it never got mentioned in my mod list on the homepage.

Cheers,
Don cool

[size=1]'88 T-Top SSilver-n-Grey Monte Carlo SS 350ci/400hp-700r4 Dart SSportsman heads w/ Accel hi energy ignition w/ 8.8mm Accel wires & HEI SSuper coil w/ cap, Crane Hi Energy cam w/ 527 left, Performer Intake w/ a Eldabrock Comp. 680cfm carb., Dynomax headers - 2 1/2 dual flowmasters and a trunk load of speakers & amps[/size=1] cool
http://www.fbody.com/members/nuwnre/
#68163 - 11/25/02 02:22 PM Re: Very cheap upgrade
Littleman Offline
Loc: Alabama
The resistor is a 4.6k
black = 0
Brown = 1
Red = 2
Orange = 3
Yellow = 4
Green = 5
Blue = 6
Viloet = 7
Green = 9
White = 9

gold = 2%

First two numbers are the value, the third is the number of 0s and the fourth is the tolerance

4600Ohm 2% or 4.6k 2%
#68164 - 11/25/02 02:27 PM Re: Very cheap upgrade
Littleman Offline
Loc: Alabama
BTY, I wouldn't do that. It would be very seasonable. There is an old thread for an adjustment to that sensor (mod)
all the mod is, is a Pot (variable resistor) or a fixed resistor that adjust the value read allowing for the vehicle to still compensate when the temperature is very cold or hot out.