Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#68334 - 12/22/08 01:30 PM W2A or A2A for my turbo?
r.s.hutchinson Offline
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Well, selling my intercooler is seeming to be difficult.

I am contemplating just keeping the W2A I have and get some fuel rails and use it with my turbo.

I PM'ed cartuning and he said they have better results with A2A but never said how much.

I am seeing what your thoughts are and if anyone can provide some info that I haven't already seen that strongly suggests I will see much better benefits with the A2A over the W2A. I know the W2A will reduce lag a bit because of less piping from the turbo to the intake. Does anyone see the W2A not cooling the intake charge nearly enough compared to A2A?

I did a search and saw someone said his W2A was holding him back over 75 whp, that I don't believe though.
#68335 - 12/22/08 01:59 PM Re: W2A or A2A for my turbo?
r.s.hutchinson Offline
Well i've found some good places and everything says A2A is the way to go for the street. I'm still not sure if I should throw even more money away by selling my W2A and going to A2A.
#68336 - 12/22/08 02:33 PM Re: W2A or A2A for my turbo?
lonezergling Offline
Loc: Waterford, WI
The important thing to remember is that the system, w2a or a2a will NEVER be able to cool to or below ambient temperature.

If you want my personal opinion, you already have a w2a, it's efficient, it's smaller, it can be placed easier, you can add an ice box to cool even closer to ambient temperature, and you won't lose any boost in the piping.

Stick with the W2A.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/venomman/
"If you are asking if you can do it, you can't. When you have learned enough to know that you can do it, you are able to." -me
#68337 - 12/22/08 02:55 PM Re: W2A or A2A for my turbo?
r.s.hutchinson Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by lonezergling:
The important thing to remember is that the system, w2a or a2a will NEVER be able to cool to or below ambient temperature.

If you want my personal opinion, you already have a w2a, it's efficient, it's smaller, it can be placed easier, you can add an ice box to cool even closer to ambient temperature, and you won't lose any boost in the piping.

Stick with the W2A.
Yes, you are right.

It is a very hard decision to make. I need to get some fuel rails and longer bolts to be able to use my W2A, no biggie but their is also some added expense.

The W2A CAN cool closer to ambient with the addition of ice, but that is not very practical for a DD for obvious reasons.

The lag brought on by the extra piping is a factor but I think it would be minimal.

I guess if I can find a buyer for the W2A before I put everything on then I will go for it, if not, I will stick with my w2a.

Here is what I found that makes me wonder about W2A

Quote:
How can an air-to-air intercooler be more efficient than a water based intercooler?
There is an overwhelming quantity of ambient air available to cool an air-to-air core relative to the charge air thru the inside of the intercooler (The iced down water intercooler is the only exception to this argument.). At just 60 mph, with a 300 bhp engine at full tilt, the ambient air available to cool the intercooler is about ten times the amount of charge air needed to make the 300 hp. Whereas the water intercooler largely stores the heat in the water until off throttle allows a reverse exchange. Some heat is expelled from a front water cooler, but the temperature difference between the water and ambient air is not large enough to drive out much heat. Another way to view the situation is that ultimately the heat removed from the air charge must go into the atmosphere regardless of whether it's from an air intercooler or a water based intercooler. The problem with the water intercooler is that the heat has more barriers to cross to reach the atmosphere than the air intercooler. Like it or not, each barrier represents a resistance to the transfer of heat. The net result; more barriers, less heat transfer.

What are the relative merits of an air or water-cooled intercooler and which would suit my purposes best?
This depends on the circumstances. These circumstances are; street use, drag racing, or endurance racing (more than two minutes).

Street use: The air-to-air intercooler will prove superior in efficiency when sized properly.

Drag racing: The short spurt of power allows the iced water to cool the charge air to below ambient temperature.

Endurance racing: The air-to-air intercooler is clearly superior due to the shorter route of getting the heat out of the air charge and into the atmosphere. Endurance racing would preclude the use of ice water, thus negating the singular advantage of the water intercooler. Further, the air-to-air intercooler is (virtually, see comments below) maintenance free.
#68338 - 12/22/08 10:55 PM Re: W2A or A2A for my turbo?
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
keep in mind that ambient air temp is always much lower than the temp of a compressed air charge...the trick to getting rid of as much heat as possible is the intercooler size. This is where the A2A will win out even if the fluid in the W2A is cooled. The physical space to have the air charge contact the vanes of the intercooler is smaller.

We have many heat exchangers of industrial size here where I work at and they are all based on as much cross section as possible and most all oare cooled by fans that move ambient air across them...just like your radiator.

Turbo lag wont be an issue with remote mount IC as long as your exhaust is free flowing enough to allow the turbo to spool quickly. Use as few flexible pieces of piping as possible since bulging will reduce effective boost at the TB and intake manifold.

(I have learned a thing or two about turbos since I bought my Cruiser which uses an A2A IC) laugh

Good Luck on the build, I'd love a turbo setup myself but they are way pricey. thumbsup

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#68339 - 12/22/08 11:06 PM Re: W2A or A2A for my turbo?
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
Here are some valid points that haven't quite been pointed out yet.
keep in mind this is from a vendor who's trying to sell the stuff, haha.

[this is stolen off frozenboost.com]

Quote:
Water to air means incredibly low pressure drop.

Pressure drop on a standard water to air intercooler core is only .05 PSI.
Quote:
Water to air means better throttle response.

Instead of the horrible mess of pipes that is normally associated with an air to air intercooler, a water to air intercooler can be mounted in the engine bay, directly between the turbo outlet and the throttle body. A shorter intake route with fewer bends is beneficial in every way.
Quote:
Water to air means no heat soak.

A water to air intercooler setup circulates water through the core even when the car is not moving.
Quote:
Bugatti Veyron.

The Bugatti Veyron is equipped with a water to air intercooler. 1,001 horsepower, 250 MPH cars might be somewhat common at the drag strip, but that's not what the Veyron is about. The Veyron is an all-around car, not just a top-speed monster. That's the reason it is the most expensive car in the world and they still lose money on every one. Bugatti chose a water to air intercooler for this car because it is absolutely the best system available. The Ford GT and Ariel Atom also use water to air, for a more real-world example.
Quote:
Why does it work?

Water does a better job of drawing the heat out of metal than air. Look at engine cooling - how many air-cooled engines are there? Not many, because water does a much more effective job at cooling. So much more, in fact, that it is impossible to engineer a solution for a modern high performance engine that is air cooled.
#68340 - 12/22/08 11:44 PM Re: W2A or A2A for my turbo?
r.s.hutchinson Offline
A2A is obviously the route that everyone goes with when turboing.

However, I already have the W2A, and it is not as if A2A is FARRR superior to A2A intercooling. I think I am going to try the W2A since I already have it, and see how it performs. If it doesn't perform as well as I want it to, I will take it off and get the A2A.

They both have there advantages and disadvantages, I don't imagine that their can be an enormous difference between the two types.
#68341 - 12/23/08 12:36 AM Re: W2A or A2A for my turbo?
r.s.hutchinson Offline
If I really feel like it, I can keep the W2A on and use both W2A and A2A. It would work and would drop the temps some, I don't know if it would be worth it but that's always an option.
#68342 - 12/23/08 12:56 AM Re: W2A or A2A for my turbo?
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Any turbo I've ever put in a car has been A2A. That seems to be what everyone recommends.
#68343 - 12/23/08 08:03 PM Re: W2A or A2A for my turbo?
lonezergling Offline
Loc: Waterford, WI
http://www.stattama.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=browse&id=52262&pageid=53

ZZP's car is W2A.

Every super-higher performance turbo build uses a W2A IC because when you are dealing with that kind of power, W2A is the most efficient cooler.

A2A is good for the streets because it's zero maintenance. Put it in and never worry about it again. Plus the look of a fat heat exchanger on the front of a car is a scary look.

If you want serious power, stick with the W2A. It's what the big boys use.

You've already got it, don't go messing up a good thing when the best is already in front of you.

Hoowever, is your W2A IC an M90 IC and you are getting the block-off plate?

If that's the case, you may want to buy ZZP's prototype W2A IC core for turbos and csc's

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=714&catid=160

Or even the block-off plate IC. I wouldn't recommend using just an M90 IC core with the rotors pulled out.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/venomman/
"If you are asking if you can do it, you can't. When you have learned enough to know that you can do it, you are able to." -me
#68344 - 12/23/08 10:34 PM Re: W2A or A2A for my turbo?
r.s.hutchinson Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by lonezergling:
http://www.stattama.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=browse&id=52262&pageid=53

ZZP's car is W2A.

Every super-higher performance turbo build uses a W2A IC because when you are dealing with that kind of power, W2A is the most efficient cooler.

A2A is good for the streets because it's zero maintenance. Put it in and never worry about it again. Plus the look of a fat heat exchanger on the front of a car is a scary look.

If you want serious power, stick with the W2A. It's what the big boys use.

You've already got it, don't go messing up a good thing when the best is already in front of you.

Hoowever, is your W2A IC an M90 IC and you are getting the block-off plate?

If that's the case, you may want to buy ZZP's prototype W2A IC core for turbos and csc's

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=714&catid=160

Or even the block-off plate IC. I wouldn't recommend using just an M90 IC core with the rotors pulled out.
Yes, my W2A is for an m90. I am using the block off plate. My case will be far from a stock m90 case with the rotors removed though. I am completely gutting the inside and bottom. On a stock case if you look in the inlet, the air basically hits a wall (that the rotor bearings sit in) and then is forced up to the top of the case. That wall will be completely gone. The air will go in the inlet and right down into the LIM. I would love to do dual fullsize i/c if I can get another core for the right price as hood clearance wouldn't be an issue because of the hood scoop that I am having done. The only problem would be mounting another rad somewhere.
#68345 - 12/23/08 10:41 PM Re: W2A or A2A for my turbo?
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
gosh i coulda had that hood done for you allready lol
#68346 - 12/23/08 11:06 PM Re: W2A or A2A for my turbo?
r.s.hutchinson Offline
haha, yep, you coulda.

i'll let you buy me another fullsize core to make up for it wink
#68347 - 12/23/08 11:08 PM Re: W2A or A2A for my turbo?
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
ok deal
#68348 - 12/23/08 11:17 PM Re: W2A or A2A for my turbo?
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >