Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#68978 - 06/05/09 09:06 PM Ruptured Brake Line
MCNE Offline
Loc: Chicago
Well can't get a break these days. New problem after pulling into the drive and pressing (hard) on the brakes before applying the emergency brake I heard a pop and then smoke. Apparently something ruptured with the brake line. Fluid on the ground under the car, but in the center not next to any of the brakes.

When pressed the brake travels to the floor and there is a leak just can’t see where from the engine compartment. I need to get under the car I guess.

Need to find a good repair manual to at least be able to trouble shoot it. I hope I can get the vette out so I can move the Pontiac inside (if the brakes work at all). Raining every darn day.

Any ideas on a repair manual for a 2000 GP GT?

MCNE
#68979 - 06/05/09 10:26 PM Re: Ruptured Brake Line
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
#68980 - 06/05/09 11:48 PM Re: Ruptured Brake Line
nyjets91 Offline
Loc: Wallingford/Hartford, CT
If the leaks in the engine compartment it could be the master cylinder itself, or any of the lines near it. Pop the hood and look around there first.
#68981 - 06/05/09 11:55 PM Re: Ruptured Brake Line
MCNE Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by nyjets91:
If the leaks in the engine compartment it could be the master cylinder itself, or any of the lines near it. Pop the hood and look around there first.
Yeah I did first thing and its not the master but further down where I could not see. I see the fuild though just do where its coming from and I need someone to press the brakes to track it down.

I'll need to get under the car in the morning. Not sure what it could be unless one of the line was damaged at some point.
#68982 - 06/06/09 01:46 AM Re: Ruptured Brake Line
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Be thankful it popped there.

In my last car, both my front lines popped when I was going 55mph. I blew through a red light and nearly had to change my pants.

Hands down the scariest thing I've done in my life.
#68983 - 06/06/09 01:51 AM Re: Ruptured Brake Line
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
Wow, I have no doubt about that...that would scare me too. frown

Two words though: Emergency Brake. I mean, that would still work, right?
#68984 - 06/06/09 07:53 AM Re: Ruptured Brake Line
nyjets91 Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Acefighter:
Wow, I have no doubt about that...that would scare me too. frown

Unfortunately though, the way they are set up on our cars, he would push it down and it would lock on and probably lock up the brakes, unless he did it lightly, but then it's not doing much.
#68985 - 06/06/09 09:10 AM Re: Ruptured Brake Line
Richard Candelario Offline
Quote:
Quote:
[b] Wow, I have no doubt about that...that would scare me too. frown

Unfortunately though, the way they are set up on our cars, he would push it down and it would lock on and probably lock up the brakes, unless he did it lightly, but then it's not doing much. [/b]
In an emergency like that...forget the tranny and throw it into reverse or park and start putting light pressure on the park brake. If one were to slam the park brake to the floor, yeah, you;d lock up. If you only put the brake in by one or two clicks, you'd never really get good stopping power.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#68986 - 06/06/09 10:51 AM Re: Ruptured Brake Line
MCNE Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by UMfan:
Be thankful it popped there.

In my last car, both my front lines popped when I was going 55mph. I blew through a red light and nearly had to change my pants.

Hands down the scariest thing I've done in my life.
Man am I ever! If I wasn't so cheap I might just get another car because I can't stand these problems on a car with only 75k on it. I any case yes we were lucky so I'm checking into the problem now.
#68987 - 06/06/09 11:15 AM Re: Ruptured Brake Line
MCNE Offline
I think I've found the problem. There is a line that runs between the front brakes. In the middle of that line there is some rust about 3 inces lnches long. I'm sure that's the site of the leak because it dead center.

validating now with someone pressing the brakes but that look difficult to change. Very long line.
#68988 - 06/06/09 11:26 AM Re: Ruptured Brake Line
MCNE Offline
Yep that's it. The passengers side brake line has a rust spot and that's where it's ruptured. That's a very long line that looks like it terminates into a master block on the other side of the car. Not sure I want to tackle this.
#68989 - 06/06/09 12:28 PM Re: Ruptured Brake Line
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
if you have a line bender its an easy job, but you need a 2nd person to bleed the brakes, or a vacuum pump.

I've driven my car to the shop with just my ebrake before, it's not too scary if your ebrake is in working order. Course I only have to drive 25mph to get there.
#68990 - 06/06/09 12:39 PM Re: Ruptured Brake Line
MCNE Offline
I'm removing the line now because I forgot home much of a pain it is to deal with these shops. If I need to get a bender I'll buy that as well..

Thanks for the reply. Wish me luck smile
#68991 - 06/06/09 02:00 PM Re: Ruptured Brake Line
nyjets91 Offline
you don't necessarily need a bender, just make sure your bends are smooth and kink-free. Good luck anyway though.
#68992 - 06/06/09 04:15 PM Re: Ruptured Brake Line
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Candelario:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b] Wow, I have no doubt about that...that would scare me too. frown

Unfortunately though, the way they are set up on our cars, he would push it down and it would lock on and probably lock up the brakes, unless he did it lightly, but then it's not doing much. [/b]
In an emergency like that...forget the tranny and throw it into reverse or park and start putting light pressure on the park brake. If one were to slam the park brake to the floor, yeah, you;d lock up. If you only put the brake in by one or two clicks, you'd never really get good stopping power. [/b]
There are some settings between all the way on or almost off. :rolleyes: lol I've used the e-brake to stop before, to see if I could, though I wasn't doing 55...