Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#69410 - 10/10/02 02:05 AM wet carpet
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Well, the inevitable happened today.
The carpet on the front passenger side became swamp. I've seen this happen to many people in the past, and was familiar w/ the solution. I knew it was a condensate line plugged, I just couldn't remember where it was. I searched the archives, and got frustrated. I couldn't come up w/ the proper keywords. I finaly gave up, and delved into it myself.
I ripped down the felt cover under the glove box....Water was dripping from several places. The more I disturbed things, the more it dripped from the fan housing.
I looked from the engine compartment, nothing.
I jacked the car up....there was 3 drops of water on the ground...I traced the water to a small rubber elbow, above the axle in the firewall. I "massaged" it w/ my fingers, and all of a sudden had a, not so refreshing shower, to my surprise.
I had about a pint of water come out unto me, so, I'm assuming this was the source of the moisture in my carpet. I ran the car w/ the fan on high for 10 minutes or so, and the drips under the dash seemed to diminish. So, I will go under the impression that I have solved the "passenger side swamp" problem, allthough I will keep an eye on it to make sure.
BTW....after finding the tube I was looking for, I went back to the archives, and w/ the word, "condensation" I was able to find the clues I was looking for previously, to find the problem. Had I found this earlier, it would've saved me from "ripping" the felt panel under the glove box out. I took some pics of the tube from under the car, but, from 2 inches away, the pics aren't real useable.
Thanks to the list for the abundance of knowledge that I have aquired over the last 2+ years. It payed off today.
Later now,

http://pdxcgp.com