Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#72874 - 01/27/08 12:28 PM Just changed hub/ now ABS & Traction lights on
Nateball Offline
Loc: Columbia MO
Ok, I just changed my front passenger side hub. I have been trying to track down a wheel speed related sound that I posted about a while back. I bought a new hub about 3 weeks ago and switched out the driver side, but it didn't help anything. I just took my old driver side hub (which should be good, it worked just fine when I pulled it off.) and put it on the passenger side. The sound is gone, so thats fine, but now my ABS and traction control lights are on. I reckon its just a problem with the connector. I already tried reseating the ABS sensor but the light is still on. I am going to get some of that conductive jazz to squirt in and see if that helps. My big question is, if I am succesful in getting a good connection, will the lights go off, or once they are tripped do you need to get them turned of by clearing a code at the stealership?
#72875 - 01/27/08 12:52 PM Re: Just changed hub/ now ABS & Traction lights on
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
You need to either have the dealer clear the code(s) with a scan tool, or cycle the ignition switch, and drive the car above 4 mph without hitting the brake pedal, 100 times. If the ABS computer doesn't see the code(s) again in 100 ignition cycles, it clears the code(s) and resets the ignition counter to zero. Disconnecting the battery cables or the ABS computer won't clear the code(s). So says the shop manual.. smile
#72876 - 01/27/08 12:55 PM Re: Just changed hub/ now ABS & Traction lights on
Nateball Offline
Wow, 100 times. That could take a few months. I guess I'll go tomorrow and see about clearing the code. Man I can't wait to get my hands on the shop manuals. I won't even have questions to ask on here anymore. LOL
#72877 - 01/27/08 04:24 PM Re: Just changed hub/ now ABS & Traction lights on
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
You managed to get the old hub out without damaging the sensor? Both my hubs were destroyed trying to get them out.
#72878 - 01/27/08 06:16 PM Re: Just changed hub/ now ABS & Traction lights on
Nateball Offline
Both of my front hubs came out pretty easily because I replaced them about a year ago. One of them slid right off the splines nice and easy, I didn't even need to use a puller on it. I'd say they probably had 15k on them. Anyhow, now I have one brand new and one a year old. Hopefully I can clear this code tomorrow and get rid of the light. I'd hate to have to buy another hub. 4 in a year would be a bit much.
#72879 - 01/27/08 09:37 PM Re: Just changed hub/ now ABS & Traction lights on
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
The plastic housing over the ABS sensors were destroyed because they had become part of the hub mount.
#72880 - 01/27/08 09:47 PM Re: Just changed hub/ now ABS & Traction lights on
Nateball Offline
Herc: Sorry for a minute there I thought you were telling me what was wrong with my car. It took me a bit to figure out that you were talking about how you destroyed your hubs. Yeah, I feel pretty lucky that mine came out so easily, I read a lot of horror stories.