Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#73823 - 01/10/09 10:09 AM Re: OK, Stupid Question
Richard Candelario Offline
those quick fixes are rarely good for your car in the long run. Try to keep an eye on the fluid, have a shop look at the system and give you an idea on what it would cost, worst case, and save up to fix that. Please dont use a quick fix.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#73824 - 01/11/09 02:25 AM Re: OK, Stupid Question
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
That's exactly what I needed to know. lol Thanks
#73825 - 01/11/09 02:36 AM Re: OK, Stupid Question
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
I think there might have been a recall or service bulletin on certain steering racks. My buddy's steering on his 97 went funky and he took it to the dealer and they replaced the rack for free (last year).
Not that it would fix the leak if it were the hoses or connections...
#73826 - 01/11/09 12:04 PM Re: OK, Stupid Question
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Acefighter:
It was definitely low. I refilled it today, and I saw fluid spots on the ground where I parked at work. Gotta keep an eye on it, because it looks like I have a leak.

I know you can get fluid that is supposed to stop the leak - has anyone used it? What kind of results did you see?
i had that same issue... about 6 months later my rack and pinion seals blew out... might wanna find that leak to make sure its not ur rack and pinion going out...
#73827 - 01/11/09 09:49 PM Re: OK, Stupid Question
Acefighter Offline
I don't think there was a recall. I took it in to get the recall for the engine fires done, and they told me they checked and that was the only recall work my car needed. I will get it checked out though.

It seems to be leaving spots, but not big ones, and my power steering tank is still just about full, so it's not leaking fast.
#73828 - 01/12/09 07:58 AM Re: OK, Stupid Question
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Early model GPs had a stearing rack recall.
#73829 - 01/12/09 08:27 AM Re: OK, Stupid Question
Acefighter Offline
Let me rephrase. I don't think there was a recall that I am under, at least.
#216203 - 10/01/11 09:08 PM Re: OK, Stupid Question [Re: HercMan(Rob)]
grandprix38 Offline
Loc: Seattle Wa
Originally Posted By: HercMan(Rob)

Late reply: Hey this morning I took car to the store and my first right turn it really got hard, left turns are fine, thought I was going to have to have it towed, but I made it home, jacked it up after work engine running and it seemed fine, right and left, lowered little at a time and turned wheel left and right and worked fine, wheels had a little movement top to bottom and side to side, test drive, little sloppy, sound like rack and pinion going, did hear clicking noise when turning wheel while in air but not while driving.

Thanks for editing my sig Blackarrow98gp great Job!
Now to get this babe back together!

1997 Grand Prix SE 3800 series 2
#216412 - 10/18/11 01:11 PM Re: OK, Stupid Question [Re: grandprix38]
grandprix38 Offline
Loc: Seattle Wa
Originally Posted By: grandprix38
Originally Posted By: HercMan(Rob)

Late reply: Hey this morning I took car to the store and my first right turn it really got hard, left turns are fine, thought I was going to have to have it towed, but I made it home, jacked it up after work engine running and it seemed fine, right and left, lowered little at a time and turned wheel left and right and worked fine, wheels had a little movement top to bottom and side to side, test drive, little sloppy, sound like rack and pinion going, did hear clicking noise when turning wheel while in air but not while driving.

No responses, does that mean there is enough info out there, and all I have to do is search? Time is not on my side.
and how do you feel about this? would you buy it?
Say's lifetime warranty, so may as well give it a shot.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=330557920938

Edited by grandprix38 (10/18/11 01:12 PM)

Thanks for editing my sig Blackarrow98gp great Job!
Now to get this babe back together!

1997 Grand Prix SE 3800 series 2
#217348 - 02/25/12 05:13 AM Re: OK, Stupid Question [Re: Acefighter]
BrokeMEundergrad Offline
HAHAHA! I had that same problem trying to find the power steering reservoir on my sister's Bonneville. It's definitely hidden! Lucky for me, that was before I got my GTP, so I knew where it was when I had to replace my steering rack outside on a cold day in the rain. I didn't need anything extra to piss me off that day...