Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#73963 - 11/23/07 03:22 AM Re: Arc's SuperCool Guide to Detailing [56k LAWL no]
spillway47 Offline
Loc: East Tennessee
Great reading so far!! I've used polish and wax on all 3 of my cars, even my ex-wife's BF (before divorce) with excellent results.

But I'd never used a clay bar because I never knew what the heck it was for, or how to use it. Where do you get the detailing spray that you use with the clay bar?

#73964 - 11/23/07 03:40 AM Re: Arc's SuperCool Guide to Detailing [56k LAWL no]
spillway47 Offline
Also never used a cleaner. I honestly didn't know there was a difference in a cleaner and polish, thought it was the same stuff named different by different manufacturers.

So it's:
1. Wash
2. Clay bar
3. Wash
4. Clean
5. Polish, get all the swirl marks out.
6. Wax and wax, and then more wax.

Right so far?

#73965 - 11/23/07 11:27 AM Re: Arc's SuperCool Guide to Detailing [56k LAWL no]
98greenGT Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
The detailing spray usually comes in a kit with the claybar. I know the Mother's clay bar kit which I've used is only like $15 at WalMart.

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
WizAired CAI, Impala 12" Brake Upgrade, ZZP Alternator Rewire and Voltage Booster, Rotated Dogbone Mounts, Kicker KS690 6x9s, JBL GTO427 4s, JBL P652S 6.5s
2001 Ford F150 XLT SuperCab
Stock, LineX, 212K
#73966 - 11/23/07 11:32 AM Re: Arc's SuperCool Guide to Detailing [56k LAWL no]
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
Yeah, it comes with it, and they also sell it seperately. You can probably find it at most auto stores like AutoZone, OReillys and the like. Can't guarantee places like Walmart or anywhere else, because it depends on their size and their stock as to whether your local one will carry it, but they may.

You process is correct, also. laugh .. Of course, if you wanted to wash it more, or do more than one claybar, it's not wrong to do so! Depending on how dirty your car is, it might be a good idea. lol

About the black paint. There are cleaners, polishes, waxes, etc, made specifically for black, yes. I haven't had cause to use them yet, so I can't advocate one way or the other, for which I apologize. My mother has a black truck, so I should know, but I don't. lol .. I can see cleaners and polishes working with black paint specifically, but wax I'm unsure of, since it normally only works with the clearcoat layer of paint and not the actual color. Dunno.

But just answering the question, yep, there are things specifically for black, just like there are for metallic.

You may have to look for stuff to use online, though, depending on what the stock at your local stores looks like. Since what you're looking for is so specialized, they might not carry it.
#73967 - 11/23/07 08:11 PM Re: Arc's SuperCool Guide to Detailing [56k LAWL no]
spillway47 Offline
I'm just knocked out by the quality of your writing, how much detail you've gone into (no pun intended) and the pictures you have posted!

I can't wait to get started on my car, because when my sister had it I polished it once a year and waxed it twice a year, and that was it.

I did use high quality polish and wax, however, and the wax seemed to stay on for a good 5 months or longer.

Would you run by me one more time, when you get a chance, the difference between the cleaner and the polish?

I have a great big old power buffer that I used to restore the paint gloss on my old Ford truck. It looks great now. Is there anywhere in this process I can use it on the Grand Prix, or should I stick with a goodly supply of 10w30 elbow grease.

And another thing, that was the pen you used. Can you tell me what it's actually called and where I might obtain one?

Last but not least, there are some small corrosion pits in my original honeycomb '97 GT wheels along the outside of the bead. Is there anything I can do to either stop that from spreading, or correct it entirely. Not unsightly, but I know it's there and it's driving me nuts. I haven't tried anything more abrasive on it than regular McGuire's car wax.

Thank you SO much for taking the time to share all of this information with those like me that thought a twice yearly coat of wax would keep the car looking nice. Well, my car looks nice, and all that, but after seeing what you've acccomplished on the car for this write-up, I'm stunned to think my car might have a showroom finish on it again.

Now, I'm off to the body shop to see what it'll take to fix the crack in the lower chin from where I smacked the opossum at around 70 mph.

Oh, and the spoiler thing was scary, too. I'm almost afraid to take mine off... frown

#73968 - 11/23/07 10:42 PM Re: Arc's SuperCool Guide to Detailing [56k LAWL no]
GP GT GUY Offline
Loc: Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by spillway47:
Oh and the spoiler thing was scary, too. I'm almost afraid to take mine off... frown
Oh man i'm so scared to take off my spoiler... i dont think im going to unless i dont get this trans am im looking at...

2000 GP GT 20's, altezzas, clears, F/M super 44's, some little blue L.E.D.s

#73969 - 05/07/09 08:01 PM Re: Arc's SuperCool Guide to Detailing [56k LAWL no]
Arcxnus Offline
Hm, it's been awhile since I wrote this and I apologize if any of it is incorrect or misleading, I was still learnin' at the time.

But anyway, if you guys need any further evidence that all that hard effing work pays off, check this crap out.

I have not washed my car since Fall TMS in October (?) of 2007. DON'T JUDGE ME. The last thing I did was a full detail as usual, after a history of just giving it a full detail everytime it got dirty enough. It has never seen an automated carwash in the time that I have owned it. Anyway, this is how it sat after I came home from work today.

Avert your eyes if you're sensitive, it's not pretty.

Pretty bad huh?

Well since previous to that I had worked my tail off keeping this thing pristine, a simple soap + water + bucket + twenty minutes + halfassing it = resulted in this. I haven't even touched a claybar or a wax yet. I haven't done anything tire-wise so just disregard that part.

Even I was surprised. I expected to have to spend hours out there. Hard work pays off, dudes. If you bust your tail keeping things in shape, it'll make it easier the next time around.

Even if the next time is a year and a half later, haha.
#73970 - 05/07/09 08:08 PM Re: Arc's SuperCool Guide to Detailing [56k LAWL no]
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
holy crap... it makes my eyes hurt looking at that first picture
#73971 - 05/07/09 08:13 PM Re: Arc's SuperCool Guide to Detailing [56k LAWL no]
Arcxnus Offline
I know, I'm sorry you had to see that. frown
#73972 - 05/07/09 08:44 PM Re: Arc's SuperCool Guide to Detailing [56k LAWL no]
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
i think i just cryed a little, but hey @ least you washed it now
#73973 - 05/07/09 10:50 PM Re: Arc's SuperCool Guide to Detailing [56k LAWL no]
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
It's time to start modding that thing.
#73974 - 05/08/09 12:12 AM Re: Arc's SuperCool Guide to Detailing [56k LAWL no]
Letha Offline
Loc: TN
This is a great write up! Big prop's to you!
#73975 - 05/08/09 11:02 AM Re: Arc's SuperCool Guide to Detailing [56k LAWL no]
palsut Offline
Loc: Batavia, Ohio
Not bad write up. In 5 years of own this car. I never claybar it but I always wash it often if need. Maybe I will have to try claybar to make it more shiny. Maybe this weekend depend on weather. laugh
#73976 - 05/08/09 01:57 PM Re: Arc's SuperCool Guide to Detailing [56k LAWL no]
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
I think if Palsut's car ever got that dirty, we should all just give up hope.
#73977 - 05/08/09 03:30 PM Re: Arc's SuperCool Guide to Detailing [56k LAWL no]
Arcxnus Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by ordonez1307:
It's time to start modding that thing.
D: More?

To be honest, I have a ton of stuff sitting in a closet in the garage. It's just stuff like I can't do at my house by myself, either because it's too complicated for one person or it needs specialized stuff like a spring compressor.

That and money. Always the root of the issue, that money.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >