Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#7523 - 06/05/05 02:19 PM Quick question about fog lights OEM and aftermarket.
bryanp Offline
Loc: Omaha
My fogs always go out after a month or so using the silverstars with my oem housing.

However, I heard that upgrading to say the blaztertech lights eliminatetes that problem.

My question is, is there anyway I could just buy the blaztertech housing, or the Limited Edition '03 blue housing, and just stick the good ol' silverstar bulbs in it, without having to rewire anything, and have it work, and last?

I hope that makes sense. Thanks a lot guys. cheers

I'm gonna go check out my mounting tabs and try and fix my shaky headlights now.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/684818
#7524 - 06/05/05 03:05 PM Re: Quick question about fog lights OEM and aftermarket.
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Toss the S'stars if you plan on using your fogs everytime you use your headlights. S'star fogs will not last. They're rated to last about 100 hours, which is not a lot.
I recently went back to S'stars in my fogs, but I don't use them near as much as I did in the past.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#7525 - 06/05/05 04:00 PM Re: Quick question about fog lights OEM and aftermarket.
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Housing has no play in the Silverstar fog light life. Spend the money and upgrade to some Blazer tech lights. Also do not repeat do not use any bulb over 27 watts in the OEM housing. You will melt the lense. Repeat do not use 885 bulbs only the 880s.
#7526 - 06/05/05 08:17 PM Re: Quick question about fog lights OEM and aftermarket.
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
.....Repeat do not use 885 bulbs only the 880s.
Amen to that one!!!! I have yet to get new lenses, i guess I'm just lazy
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
#7527 - 06/05/05 08:34 PM Re: Quick question about fog lights OEM and aftermarket.
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Headlights Wholesale is where I got my OEM fogs, not a bad price either.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#7528 - 06/06/05 01:06 PM Re: Quick question about fog lights OEM and aftermarket.
KungFuFighter Offline
Loc: Baltimore, Maryland
I had the same problem with the Fogs. My Corners and Headlamps are Silver Stars, I've had no problems with them yet, and they look great!

Fogs were a different story. The didn't last at all. broke like every week. Blazer Tech makes a nice long lasting fog. I got the Diamond Series made by them and it is awesome. Has a nice bright white with a hint of blue look. Tricky to install, but worth it. Requires splitting a few wires. But I am very happy smile .

EDIT: Added a pic

Clear Corners, Silver Star turning lights, Silver Star headlights, Diamond Series foglights, Megan Racing muffler, Interior pulseing blue lights, Borla MPG mod. Much more to come.
#7529 - 06/06/05 01:25 PM Re: Quick question about fog lights OEM and aftermarket.
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Agree about S'stars!

If you better fogs, then aftermarket is definately the way to go.

I haven't looked for a replacement on fogs as of yet. Think I may stick with stock fogs, even though the I don't like the difference in color.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#7530 - 06/08/05 03:45 AM Re: Quick question about fog lights OEM and aftermarket.
KyleGT Offline
Loc: Madison, WI
anyone know of any aftermarket fogs that have about the same brightness of silverstars, but last longer?

Galaxy Silver Metallic 2001 GT ~ 70k miles Eclipse CD5425 deck, Eclipse & Kenwood speakers, Silverstars, rear bumper inlays, debadged, Flowmaster Super 40s and Gibson tips
#7531 - 06/08/05 06:47 AM Re: Quick question about fog lights OEM and aftermarket.
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
There are no replacement bulbs that equal the SSs. But Blazertechs or Angel Eyes are quite bright.