Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#76629 - 08/17/02 01:09 AM Rubbing sound behind dash, what do you think it is???
adam Offline
Loc: Port Huron , MI
hi there,

i'm brand new here, so i'll say thanx in advance to everyone for any help they can offer. its so good to know that there is a place to talk about my GTP.

Anyways, on to the good stuff. i have a 99 GTP
and all of the sudden the dash makes the repeated rubbing sound, its sounds like its comming right behind A/C vents in the center of the dashboard. The thing i'm worried about is that its not random. its almost like a morse code. but i don't know what it is. it really sounds like a plastic door rubbing on another peice of plastic. It happens all the time, except when the car is off.

what do you think this is. mad

K&N ,Trans cooler!!

(this is my company car smile )
#76630 - 08/17/02 11:18 PM Re: Rubbing sound behind dash, what do you think it is???
adam Offline
Loc: Port Huron , MI
ttt

K&N ,Trans cooler!!

(this is my company car smile )
#76631 - 08/20/02 10:13 AM Re: Rubbing sound behind dash, what do you think it is???
Littleman Offline
Loc: Alabama
Ductwork. Dependant upon your model, some air diverter ducts are pnumatic (air) and some are motorized. Does the sound change during idle? The pnumatic types are the noisiest and tend to change when idling. The vacuum is regualted (to and extent) but when idling, sometimes doesn't get enough vacuum (and some problems) causing the diaphram running the diverter to squak or make a plastic rubbing sound. Play around with the heat/aC controls and see how it affects the noise. Let us know if this is the right direction and the results please.
#76632 - 08/20/02 05:38 PM Re: Rubbing sound behind dash, what do you think it is???
Steve Offline
Loc: Akron, Ohio
I have a 99 GTP that had the same problem. I took the car under warranty to the dealer and they repaired it. I thought I had a mouse in the dash with all the weird sounds I was hearing! eek Evidently the sound is a vacuum actuator that was rubbing. To fix it the entire dash has to come off. The repairmen had to improvise some sort of shim to keep the rubbing from occurring. Hope this helps!
~Steve

SLP CAI, DHP, 3.4, 180° stat, Trans cooler, Random Tech DP, Borla cat back, KYB's, bitchin' paperclip mod.
#76633 - 08/21/02 08:51 AM Re: Rubbing sound behind dash, what do you think it is???
vortec4200 Offline
Loc: Sterling Heights, MI
I have a noise that sounds like it is coming from the middle a/c vent, and only when the fan is on. It sounds like someone put a baseball card in the spokes of the fan. Should I take it in? I have a feeling that them taking apart the whole dash will only create more noise problems. frown