Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#77727 - 09/03/05 09:44 AM Re: Anyone else getting pinched by the high gas prices?
fire90bird Offline
Loc: Wisconsin
My owners manual of my 99 grand prix GT states specifically that the car is built for regular gas and that premium is not good for the engine??
#77728 - 09/03/05 10:09 AM Re: Anyone else getting pinched by the high gas prices?
boosnark1 Offline
Loc: Cartersville, GA
If filled up on Thursday for 3.14/gal. It has come back down some. Someone in Atlanta posted 5.87/gal for regular, but that was one person and they are in jail now. I got my GTP in March and I knew that it would cost me (I drive 80-100 miles a day), but I didn't care. I guess thet if it gets bad enough I can drive my wife's expedition, but I would have to get new tires for my gtp when my wife gets done with it smile
Mods: Pulley Boys 3.4" pulley, JimmyC downpipe /w cat, MSD 8.5mm plug wires, Taylor plug boots(Red), NGK TR-55 IX plugs, Thasher CAI, MAP Throttle Body Spacer, MAP Exhaust heat shield, GMPP handling upgrade kit, Energy Suspension Poly bushings, 97-02 Lotek A-pillar(3 gauge), Autometer Sport-Comp guages (boost, oil pressure, transmission temp), SilverStars Halogen bulbs, Blazertech 2200 foglights, Hawk HPS pads, F-body brakes, and rebuilt tranny....
#77729 - 09/03/05 11:50 AM Re: Anyone else getting pinched by the high gas prices?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Today 87 Octane is 3.55 premium is 3.89. Good thing I ride the bike every day smile
#77730 - 09/03/05 02:07 PM Re: Anyone else getting pinched by the high gas prices?
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Evolution:
You have a GTP and you only use 87? Imagine the KR you get.. poor car!
laugh GT.

I should have probably made that text in my sig bigger ..

I don't have to worry about KR as much. Bwahaha!
#77731 - 09/03/05 03:59 PM Re: Anyone else getting pinched by the high gas prices?
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
I pulled up to a station. Someone already paid 47.00 for 15 gallons of premium gas.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#77732 - 09/03/05 04:02 PM Re: Anyone else getting pinched by the high gas prices?
TastyBake Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by fire90bird:
My owners manual of my 99 grand prix GT states specifically that the car is built for regular gas and that premium is not good for the engine??
You can put premium in there but it won't do anything. The computer may adjust timing but you won't get a power increase or better MPG. It may feel like its driving smoother but thats it. All you would be doing is intentionally paying extra for gas.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#77733 - 09/03/05 05:31 PM Re: Anyone else getting pinched by the high gas prices?
digital-d Offline
Loc: New York
Quote:
Not good? I guess those of us with DHP's are ****ed devileek

We don't drive Saturn's, it won't hurt.
#77734 - 09/03/05 05:54 PM Re: Anyone else getting pinched by the high gas prices?
Golden Glider Offline
Loc: Germantown, MD
Yesterday I filled up in Winchester, VA for 3.39/gal. Today I'm in D.C. (80 mile trip 1 way) and all Shell stations are closed, they have run out of gas!!!! How does this happen???

2000 Bronzemist Mettalic 4door GTP rollin on Enkei LM1 18" wheels, Powerslot Front and Rear Brake Rotors, Red Brake Calipers, Automate AM 9 Auto Start. Looks WILD HOT!!
#77735 - 09/03/05 11:35 PM Re: Anyone else getting pinched by the high gas prices?
northtnguy Offline
Loc: Nashville, TN
I filled up this afternoon. It was $3.16 for 93 octane. Cost me $45 to fill up ... and to think, this time last year, it took about $20 to fill the tank.

You think we should start to think about running propane?? devileek
#77736 - 09/04/05 07:47 AM Re: Anyone else getting pinched by the high gas prices?
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by Golden Glider:
Yesterday I filled up in Winchester, VA for 3.39/gal. Today I'm in D.C. (80 mile trip 1 way) and all Shell stations are closed, they have run out of gas!!!! How does this happen???
My parents ran out of gas everyday because people are panic buying. Basically, everyone has come in and filled their tank. Some people are even out at the pumps with several 5-gallon tanks and filling those. The problem with us in New England, is that our gas trucks are being sent South. A lot of the delivery trucks from the Guld of Mexico area have not moved in days, so the surrounding areas are pushing gas into the area. Hence the dramatically higher gas prices in the South and the slightly higher gas prices everywhere else.
#77737 - 09/04/05 08:02 PM Re: Anyone else getting pinched by the high gas prices?
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Quote:
Originally posted by digital-d:
Quote:
Hello,

Filling a stock car with premium fuel when the manufacturer recommends regular fuel can be detrimental to performance, and MPG. A higher octane fuel requires certain factors in order to burn efficiently. If those factors are absent, the fuel will not burn as efficiently as a lower octane fuel.
If you would like to know more about this, search the internet.... It's been some time since I did my research, so I can't tell you where to look. If you would like to continue this as a conversation, please start a new topic. I would be happy to search the internet for you.

Later now,
Clint

http://pdxcgp.com
#77738 - 09/04/05 10:44 PM Re: Anyone else getting pinched by the high gas prices?
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
Well I got back down to Waco today, and it's mostly 2.99 all over the place, save where I went down H-77 today. It's 2.79-2.89 there. Understandably, that's where I got my gas. laugh

There weren't any lines or rushes or anything, so I can only assume that that price has been and will be the same.
#77739 - 09/05/05 05:39 PM Re: Anyone else getting pinched by the high gas prices?
TastyBake Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by crimpton:
Quote:
Originally posted by digital-d:
[b]
Quote:
Hello,

Filling a stock car with premium fuel when the manufacturer recommends regular fuel can be detrimental to performance, and MPG. A higher octane fuel requires certain factors in order to burn efficiently. If those factors are absent, the fuel will not burn as efficiently as a lower octane fuel.
If you would like to know more about this, search the internet.... It's been some time since I did my research, so I can't tell you where to look. If you would like to continue this as a conversation, please start a new topic. I would be happy to search the internet for you.

Later now,
Clint [/b]
100% agree. This is from a google search of "octane better".
Here's some info about high octane. http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/octane.htm

Here is a link about showing what will happen if you use a higher octane. This explains why my mother's old car cat when out early because my brother didn't want to put in the cheapo gas (87) in our mother's car. frown
http://theserviceadvisor.com/octane.htm

[GONE]
#77740 - 09/05/05 07:41 PM Re: Anyone else getting pinched by the high gas prices?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Nice find Tasty.
#77741 - 09/05/05 10:48 PM Re: Anyone else getting pinched by the high gas prices?
ReDgie the WeDgie Offline
Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada
Im driving my winter car already....92 Mazda Protege..(YAWN)....Only using the GP for recreational use...Cost me $50.00 to fill the Mazda!!!!!!!!!