Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#77742 - 09/05/05 11:44 PM Re: Anyone else getting pinched by the high gas prices?
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I've been burning 89 in my GT since I got it and I simply refuse to soil the tank with that 87 stuff. my last fill up cost me $45...we went to Va Beach this past weekend for the rock n'roll half marathon...and even with some heavy traffic, alittle cruising on sunday evening and trunk full of luggage and running the a/c...the T-Bat still averaged between 26-27mpg...sometimes I just cant believe this car! This much comfort,room and power and still get this kind of mileage (and look good doin it)...man I love this car!...I got to thinkin on the way home tho...if my old man were still around to see how high gas has gone, I'm sure the poor fella would have heart failure...I can remember when he used to fill the family Dodge Polara sedan for 26 cents a gallon.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#77743 - 09/06/05 01:46 AM Re: Anyone else getting pinched by the high gas prices?
TimJL Offline
Loc: Sonoma CA
Well you Dad paid quite abit back then. The inflation rate for US gas is still below what it should be. Don't get me wrong I hate these prices like everyone eles.

But agallon of milk used to cost a few cents not almost 3 buck a gallon and mixed with water to make it 20% milk and as low as 10% milk.

I cup of coffee used to cost 5 cents, when I was younger 13 14 ish a pack of smokes cost 25 cents.

Gas if you really get down to it is so cheap, what we are paying is taxes. And remember it's not a gallon of gas it's 9/10ths of a gallon add the rst and we are paying a bit more as far as a gallon goes.

So gas is really cheap a small rise in price times the tax makes it higher, in Ca if you took out the tax you would be paying as much as 75 cents cheaper.

What I am getting pissed about if I can? is the fact the are going to reduce the air pollution factors for a while? how long I don't know but here in California our smog checks are a bitch to get older cars passed for smog. What the heck is the gas going to do smog wise for all of us that have to get our cars passed ?

I asked a smog tech at a test only station he only said good question your right your car will be harder to pass the emissions test if that happens. Crap I have an 89 Dodge Cargo Van that due for smog check 2 this Oct... Errrrrrrrr Think about the effects of less clean gas our gov is not thinking about the big picture! And I am not a tree hugger.
Northern California ( Sonoma )
Online User manuals are free join Pontiac.com and get a MYGM Link ACCT. EXP:https://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2content/manual/US/en/pontiac/2001grandprix.pdf You need a Free GM account to get there.
#77744 - 09/07/05 04:45 PM Re: Anyone else getting pinched by the high gas prices?
GillysGTPSS Offline
Loc: Gananoque, ON, Canada
My honda usually takes about 33.00 to fill from fumes, I just filled it yesterday and it cost 51.00 mad goodthing it gets 40+ mpg

CAI, Flowmaster 40s, Magnaflow cat, u-bend delete, Eibach springs, 16" American Racing rims way more to come
#77745 - 09/07/05 06:39 PM Re: Anyone else getting pinched by the high gas prices?
agreedy1 Offline
Loc: Nassau County Long Island
I filled up the day they said it would go up:
2.99 for 93

I filled up at 3.49 for 87 5 days later here in LI NY! $48

I had a 4 cyl ALtima..got same gas mileage!

I drive like Grandpa now...Civics fly by me...looking for that 29 mpg on my original sticker?
#77746 - 09/07/05 08:12 PM Re: Anyone else getting pinched by the high gas prices?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Some helpful ideas to help increase MPG.

1. Don't warm up your car longer then needed to get the oil flowing.

2. Check your tire pressures.

3. Ensure air flilter is clean

4. Use the A/C vice keeping the windows down on the highway. Just opposite in stop and go traffic.

5. Remove any unessary weight (similar to race prep)

6. Keep car in good tune. IE plugs, wires, O2 sensors etc.

7. Avoid jack-rabbit starts

8. Keep highway speeds below 70

9. When accellerating keep the rpms below 2500 (you might be passed by grandma/grand am but your wallet will appreciate it)

10. Don't leave engine running if your going to be away from it (sounds silly but I see it all the time around here)

Anybody else have any ideas post them as well.
#77747 - 09/07/05 09:02 PM Re: Anyone else getting pinched by the high gas prices?
Evolution Offline
Loc: Southington CT
I have mainly found that if I stay out of boost, I can keep the MPGs above 19. I used to get around 15, this coming from a kid who races anything that accelerates too fast. I dropped that habit quickly after gas went above $3.00/gallon for premium. I still have my occasional high-boost moments, although I try to keep them to a minimum. Your boost gauge on your DIC actually works, whether you want to believe me or not. when you stay under 2500ish rpm and less then 1/4 pedal depression, youre usually in a vacuum between 20psi (at idle) and 0psi (1/3 pedal depression) After that, your gas pressure and flow is upped for the increase in air (to recompensate for the lean mixture the boost causes). I cant stress enough to stay out of boost if you want to save gas. You can easily get 21mpg around town if you live in the flats(down south, texas, etc.) On the highway, I can get around 34mpg if I am cautious with the happy pedal.

'97 GTP
Devils Own Progressive Alcohol Injection, TB Spacer, MSD Ignition, TR55s, IPCM, 2.5" Exhaust (no cat) with Borla Muffs, FWI, 2 Pod A-Pillar, 3.4", 160* T-Stat, PowerSlots,
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3