Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#78657 - 09/04/08 10:26 PM melted wires
hannah Offline
Loc: Sault Ontario
okay, tonight left work, and instantly floored my gtp until I was at 70mph and had to slow down. After making a complete stop and starting off again, I noticed the car was not accelerating, yet reving at 5000 going 40mph. Pulled car over to side of road and popped hood and had fire. After smoke cleared and fire extinguised via a juice box the wires were melted right at coil pack. wires melted towards towards plugs about six inches were on fire. removed 1 completely burnt wire and another is down to bare wire and restarted car. Car started, but will not move when in drive, engine revs but car doesn't move..WHAT DID I DO?????
#78658 - 09/04/08 10:32 PM Re: melted wires
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
check your fuses... and what caused the fire that would be the first thing ... check your plugs ... anything that might have gotten 2 hot ... maybe coils ?
#78659 - 09/04/08 10:43 PM Re: melted wires
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
juice box... nice!!!!

are you talking about the spark plug wires?
#78660 - 09/04/08 10:56 PM Re: melted wires
hannah Offline
yes spark plug wires...lol But why did it start over reving and not moving. Too dark right now to check too far into it, but jeez! what the heck happened?
#78661 - 09/04/08 10:57 PM Re: melted wires
Richard Candelario Offline
I would start looking for any bad ground points. Fuses, relays, connections. Good luck.

Sorry I mised your arrival. Welcome aboard.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#78662 - 09/04/08 11:24 PM Re: melted wires
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Quote:
Originally posted by hannah:
yes spark plug wires...lol But why did it start over reving and not moving. Too dark right now to check too far into it, but jeez! what the heck happened?
Just a guess, but it's possible the shifter cable was damaged, or maybe the engine wiring harness.
#78663 - 09/04/08 11:37 PM Re: melted wires
20gtp02 Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by hannah:
okay, tonight left work, and instantly floored my gtp until I was at 70mph
Issue ^ there!

You fried something else, most likely.

#78664 - 09/05/08 12:15 AM Re: melted wires
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Recall.

GM had a recall describing your situation focused on the VC gasket leaking in a manner that starts fires after driving exactly as you described.

Maybe I'm wrong, but even if I am please don't ignore an oil leak on your car. It is well known that an oil leak in the right location will set the engine bay ablaze.

http://pdxcgp.com
#78665 - 09/05/08 12:18 AM Re: melted wires
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by crimpton:
Recall.

GM had a recall describing your situation focused on the VC gasket leaking in a manner that starts fires after driving exactly as you described.

Maybe I'm wrong, but even if I am please don't ignore an oil leak on your car. It is well known that an oil leak in the right location will set the engine bay ablaze.
i thought about this, but if the wire is melted right at the coil, then it wouldnt have come in contact with oil. If it was burned down towards the spark plug that would be the leaky VC gasket... right?
#78666 - 09/05/08 01:39 AM Re: melted wires
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by ordonez1307:
Quote:
Originally posted by crimpton:
[b] Recall.

i thought about this, but if the wire is melted right at the coil, then it wouldnt have come in contact with oil. If it was burned down towards the spark plug that would be the leaky VC gasket... right? [/b]
x3

Same thing popped in my mind after I seen that you had a fire. I say take it to gm and see they would do since there is a recall on that and maybe they will replace the burnt wires and etc.
#78667 - 09/05/08 10:00 PM Re: melted wires
hannah Offline
Last time I went to GM they said there was a recall for VC gasket and they replaced it, so I don't think that was the cause, however the fire was indeed close to, or at coil pack. Melted a lot of plastic and the cover for some other wired and the supercharged cover was melted as well. I am getting new free wires tomorrow from parts store, they are covering the cost, but I am a little worried this was something a little deeper..although one bad wires can cause some problems.
#78668 - 09/05/08 10:27 PM Re: melted wires
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
do you have any pictures of all of this ?? maybe we could help you out a little better then