Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#80707 - 09/10/03 02:18 AM Just bought 99 GP GT with 16,000 miles .....
hpiguy Offline
Loc: Mosinee, WI
Hello,

As of Thursday the 11th of September I will be the owner of a 1999 Grand Prix GT 2dr with only 16,000 miles on it. It has all the toys. Power everything, CD, bright red with graphite interior, and the aluminum mesh 16" wheels. I paid $8,000 for it as this was all the Pontiac dealership was going to give them for trade. They bought a 2004 GP GTP Comp G, and from what they said the dealership REALLY wanted the '99 as a trade.

Since I know the original owners I can verify the miles on this car since it was new. This car is almost showroom condition. I bought their last "used" car when they bought the GP new. It was a 89 Cutlass Supreme with only 50,000 miles on it after ten years. Obviously they drive a lot. (feel the sarcasm?)

It even has the extended warranty still in effect!

I want to ask what minor things I can do to this car to improve it's already tough looks. And what if any effect they will have on warranty. I'm not so much into performance (I have my 69 Charger for that) but I want to make it unique in the looks dept.

Thanks in advance and I plan on playing with my GP as often as possible.

All opinions will be considered equally.

BTW, how do I turn off those annoying daytime running lamps??????
#80708 - 09/10/03 08:50 AM Re: Just bought 99 GP GT with 16,000 miles .....
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Congrats on your purchase!
I pulled the fuse to disconect my DRL's. This will also disable the automatic headlights (which I also hate). I think there may be a way to disconect the DRL's, while leaving the auto's functional. There has been a couple of previous post about this subject.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#80709 - 09/10/03 09:15 AM Re: Just bought 99 GP GT with 16,000 miles .....
quark_man Offline
Loc: Alberta
to disable DRL's searcu on this site. There is a lot of info on many of the clubs' sites concerning this procedure. It is simple, reversible and takes 5 minutes. But use a flashlight as after the removal of the little pannel to the left of the driver, it is very difficult to work with two hands. all that is involved it removal of a connection from a heat sink.
#80710 - 09/10/03 09:55 AM Re: Just bought 99 GP GT with 16,000 miles .....
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
Sweet purchase, only 16k miles?

That sounds fishy but not if you know who you bought it from and all. Congrats.

For a custom appearance:

Ram Air Hood
Exhaust Tips
Racing Stripes
Badge Overlays
Wheels

If you look around the web, there are some good combinations of hoods and racings stripes that go together to make a nice looking package.

There's a post from a couple days ago that has a list of all the aftermarket links.
#80711 - 09/10/03 12:13 PM Re: Just bought 99 GP GT with 16,000 miles .....
Marc Harbison Offline
Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
Congrats! If you looking for performance and appearance mods... look toward the top of this page and locate the "GP STORE" link. Click on it and start purchasing stuff.

WARNING!!!

Credit cards have limits... if you're not careful, you'll find out what it is real fast. thumbsup

Marc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RIP '97 GTP w/ 192K miles - Totaled when broadsided
#80712 - 09/10/03 12:22 PM Re: Just bought 99 GP GT with 16,000 miles .....
BryantGTP Offline
Quote:
WARNING!!!

Credit cards have limits... if you're not careful, you'll find out what it is real fast.
You're not supposed to say that. GO Grand Prix!
#80713 - 09/11/03 02:48 AM Re: Just bought 99 GP GT with 16,000 miles .....
hpiguy Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by BryantGTP:
Sweet purchase, only 16k miles?

That sounds fishy but not if you know who you bought it from and all. Congrats.

I should have said who I bought it from. My parents. So I can guarantee the mileage is accurate.

I'm 26 and this is the third car I bought from them. I live about 10 miles away so when they go to buy cars they always give me first dibs on their used cars. They always want new cars when their "old" stuff is good as new.

This has been my Mom's car and she drives 2 miles to work and back and that's it. They are real homebodies.

But don't worry, nobody else believes it either. The most popular quote is "You got hosed, they MUSt have rolled back the odometer." When I explain it was owned by my 54 year old mother for work commuting then they understand.

cool
#80714 - 09/11/03 09:40 AM Re: Just bought 99 GP GT with 16,000 miles .....
BryantGTP Offline
When I hear of a car like that with such low miles I always think of a lease or rental car. Some people buy these cars that were previously rental cars and have the crap beat out of them, same thing with the leases. They aren't taken care of and they aren't maintenanced right.
My g/f bought of '99 Saturn with 30k miles and I did a lot of research with previous owners cause there was no way that I was gonna let her get screwed like that. My car wasn't a former lease, but you'd guess it was.
I'm not saying this is the case for all people who lease cars (it would be if I did). Some people really luck out and you can get a good deal from a car with a background like that. Hell, my 1992 Honda CBR600F2 is a salvage title that was rebuilt and it's still running strong after 20k miles. It's the luck of the draw.

Basically, enjoy the hell of a deal you got! devileek
#80715 - 09/12/03 02:07 AM Re: Just bought 99 GP GT with 16,000 miles .....
hpiguy Offline
I added my first items.

Headlight covers "smoke" color (look bad ass on the red car)

Red and black rubber floormats that have the tread of a tire on them.

And "titanium look" brake and gas pedals.
#80716 - 09/12/03 07:55 AM Re: Just bought 99 GP GT with 16,000 miles .....
BryantGTP Offline
Quote:
Red and black rubber floormats that have the tread of a tire on them.
I;ve never heard of them. You wanna post the link to the website?