Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#80923 - 12/23/04 10:33 AM Just got full exhaust (-headers) put on. So now the ? is. DHP or Intense pcm?
bryanp Offline
Loc: Omaha
As I've said before, this is the grand prix board I trust the most. So here is it short and sweet.

I just got my 3" in/out rt dp on, resonator delete, and super 40's mounted with slp tips. Needless to say, I love it.

A lot.

Anyway, I already have a 3.4" pulley, just not installed yet. Already have 180t stat and wizaired. I plan on getting colder spark plugs, and not a whole lot more. Not for a while at least. My next projects are pfyc air dam, gen 2 slp spoiler, and the 4 vent ascd hood, along with a nice set of wheels.

However, which PCM should I get. I hear real good things about DHP and lesser things about intense. Did I hear wrong?

I guess that wasn't as short as I thought. Thanks anyways guys.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/684818
#80924 - 12/23/04 11:33 AM Re: Just got full exhaust (-headers) put on. So now the ? is. DHP or Intense pcm?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Both PCMs are very good. As for the negetive comments of the intense pcm take a look at who is posting em. Most of them are affiliated with the DHP and are upset that Intense is selling their PCM for $100 less. I personally would go for the Intense. They can customize the PCM to your exact needs as you change mods. It all comes down to personal choice.
#80925 - 12/23/04 12:19 PM Re: Just got full exhaust (-headers) put on. So now the ? is. DHP or Intense pcm?
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
withstupid Intense in my opinion.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#80926 - 12/23/04 02:57 PM Re: Just got full exhaust (-headers) put on. So now the ? is. DHP or Intense pcm?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by framos242:
withstupid Intense in my opinion.
withstupid Ha Ha you funny guy.
#80927 - 12/23/04 03:36 PM Re: Just got full exhaust (-headers) put on. So now the ? is. DHP or Intense pcm?
Steve Offline
Loc: Akron, Ohio
Whoa - forget the PCM - get that pulley installed!! thumbsup I have a DHP and love it. The Intense wasn't available when I had to choose. Right now I'd go with the Intense unit because of the lesser cost and the multiple levels of programming available.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas!

SLP CAI, DHP, 3.4, 180° stat, Trans cooler, Random Tech DP, Borla cat back, KYB's, bitchin' paperclip mod.
#80928 - 12/23/04 06:01 PM Re: Just got full exhaust (-headers) put on. So now the ? is. DHP or Intense pcm?
hot2000gtp Offline
Loc: Cleveland Ohio
Intense all the way!!!1
#80929 - 12/23/04 07:01 PM Re: Just got full exhaust (-headers) put on. So now the ? is. DHP or Intense pcm?
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
I'd go with the Intense. I hate the guys at DHP. They're A-holes if they find out you don't have a DHP.
Screw DHP. mad

If not Intense, I'd get anything except DHP.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#80930 - 12/23/04 09:25 PM Re: Just got full exhaust (-headers) put on. So now the ? is. DHP or Intense pcm?
hot2000gtp Offline
Loc: Cleveland Ohio
Austin, you sure hate DHP mad

Thats ok thoguh, I do to

Mike cheers
#80931 - 12/24/04 01:26 AM Re: Just got full exhaust (-headers) put on. So now the ? is. DHP or Intense pcm?
bryanp Offline
Whoa. No kidding. That much?

I'll take your word for it. Intense all the way.

If I have a 180 t stat, exhaust w/ rt dp, wizaired, and a 3.4" pulley, should I order the "standard" intense chip? Not the stage 1 correct?

If I put in colder spark plugs or go to a 3.25" pulley can I still keep the standard chip?

Thanks.

EDIT - Oh my god, my sig says I have a DHP pcm. That is a typo if I ever saw it. Meant to say it was my next project. Anyhoo. crazy

#80932 - 12/24/04 09:24 AM Re: Just got full exhaust (-headers) put on. So now the ? is. DHP or Intense pcm?
AustinGTP Offline
Bryan, I'd stay with the standard. I think the stage 1 is for when you get into changing out rockers, cams, etc..., you know internal organs.

BTW...
I'm sure DHP produces a fine product. I have nothing against their product. It's with a certain top individual at DHP.
I was looking around over at clubgp and noticed someone had posted their problems with DHP on an open forum for discussion. I thought I would take the opportunity to reply with the statement "Should have bought an Intense crazy "
Next thing I know this A-hole starts slamming me about how bad Intense PCM's are. I kept trying to keep him on the subject of the lack of customer service this person was getting, but he kept swaying away from the issue and kept slamming me personally. I think the moderators had enough because I noticed that some of our replies were missing, so we both kinda cooled off and left it alone.
I thought maybe it was just me and the guy had a bad day, then later on I saw that he did it again to someone else... and what do you know, that someone else had an Intense listed in his sig.

ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#80933 - 12/24/04 11:00 AM Re: Just got full exhaust (-headers) put on. So now the ? is. DHP or Intense pcm?
bryanp Offline
Intense chips are only activated once you enable performance shift right?

Is there anything that the dhp chip changes that intense standard does not, or vice versa?

Also, that guy sounds like a real gentleman. It's so mature when someone bashes you for a product you own.

Its like back in the day when people would critisize you for having a genesis over a super nintendo. I'll take the genesis anyday motherf***er.

#80934 - 12/24/04 05:44 PM Re: Just got full exhaust (-headers) put on. So now the ? is. DHP or Intense pcm?
digital-d Offline
Loc: New York
I hear good things about both nothing really negative. Dhp's been around longer so more people have it.

I was im'ing with someone I know from clubgp earlier. He used to have the dhp pcm, but he sold it and now has the intense. From what he told me he's much happier with the intense.
#80935 - 12/24/04 11:28 PM Re: Just got full exhaust (-headers) put on. So now the ? is. DHP or Intense pcm?
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
They are both good units but the cheaper pric,better cutomer service,and the different level choices from intense gets my vote.
#80936 - 12/24/04 11:36 PM Re: Just got full exhaust (-headers) put on. So now the ? is. DHP or Intense pcm?
jvojr Offline
Loc: Catskills, NY
I had the DHP in my 03 and was very happy with it. After I modded, I was seeing 3-4 degrees of KR. After putting on the DHP, KR went to 0. I still have it for sale since I traded in the 03 for an 04 and will be getting one for my 04 soon.
Jack

Traded in. 2003 GTP. Every option but HUD. New Mods: Wizaired CAI, SLP Headers, Cat, U-bend and Downpipe, 3.2 Modular Pulley, Phase 3 rollers w/OR Pushrods, Larger Belt Tensioner Pulley, Gatorback, AL103's, 180 Degree Stat, DHP
#80937 - 12/25/04 01:17 AM Re: Just got full exhaust (-headers) put on. So now the ? is. DHP or Intense pcm?
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
Quote:
Originally posted by jvojr:
I had the DHP in my 03 and was very happy with it. After I modded, I was seeing 3-4 degrees of KR. After putting on the DHP, KR went to 0. I still have it for sale since I traded in the 03 for an 04 and will be getting one for my 04 soon.
Jack
hey jvojr, hoow much you want for that pcm that you said you still got 4 sale?

merry christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers cheers
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
#80938 - 12/25/04 10:10 AM Re: Just got full exhaust (-headers) put on. So now the ? is. DHP or Intense pcm?
bryanp Offline
How much of a chp (not whp) increase would you expect to see from both units?

#80939 - 12/26/04 03:54 AM Re: Just got full exhaust (-headers) put on. So now the ? is. DHP or Intense pcm?
jvojr Offline
Quote:
hey jvojr, hoow much you want for that pcm that you said you still got 4 sale?
$195.00. That includes shipping. No core charge.
Jack

Traded in. 2003 GTP. Every option but HUD. New Mods: Wizaired CAI, SLP Headers, Cat, U-bend and Downpipe, 3.2 Modular Pulley, Phase 3 rollers w/OR Pushrods, Larger Belt Tensioner Pulley, Gatorback, AL103's, 180 Degree Stat, DHP
#80940 - 12/26/04 04:21 AM Re: Just got full exhaust (-headers) put on. So now the ? is. DHP or Intense pcm?
jvojr Offline
Quote:
How much of a chp (not whp) increase would you expect to see from both units?
I would hate to get an answer like this, but, it depends on what other mods you have. If you have no mods at all, you might not see any. If you have all the mods in my sig, you might see 15 more on the DHP. I can't comment on the IPCM, but I would imagine something similar. It's really not the HP increase that makes these things worth it. The PCM lets you put more of the HP that you already have to the pavement, gives you better shift points, and helps to max out your mods.
Jack

#80941 - 12/26/04 07:33 AM Re: Just got full exhaust (-headers) put on. So now the ? is. DHP or Intense pcm?
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
That about sums it up,for instance you will need higher shift points to take full advantage a cam swap or higher lift rockers,a lot of mods are like this they work in conjuntion with other mods.
#80942 - 12/26/04 11:16 AM Re: Just got full exhaust (-headers) put on. So now the ? is. DHP or Intense pcm?
AustinGTP Offline
A PCM and 3.4 pulley will work very well together. If you want a PCM and you want to see/feel gains from it, and you have a GTP, get a 3.4 pulley to go along with the PCM. Do both, I'd suggest not doing one without the other.
I don't know what my car does with just the PCM, but I know when I put my pulley on with my stock PCM it would only pull off the line. As I would move closer to the top end it would start to fall off to not noticing any difference on the top end. When I got my PCM installed, WOW! It would pull all the way through the gears, not just at the bottom end.

#80943 - 12/26/04 03:45 PM Re: Just got full exhaust (-headers) put on. So now the ? is. DHP or Intense pcm?
InitialDGP Offline
Loc: Germantown, Maryland USA
Well I talked to both sets of guys at dhp and INTENSE and I gotta say INTENSE takes the cake. Spent about 2 weeks e-mailing back and forth (im very picky with my money) I gotta say, scott hooks it up. The PCM is great, even with my GT and minor mods I notice a big difference with anything over half throttle. As for the guy that was bashing people, I dunno if he works for DHP but they are a bit more professional than that, they just dont have the over the top customer service with a smile that INTENSE provides time and again. Every question or comment I had was efficiently and quickly anwsered to my satisfaction. Good stuff.
Modified 2001 Grand Prix GT 3800 Red/Orange Kills: Acura RSX type-S, Early 90's Rx-7, Mustang 5.0GT, Modded Cavalier, Assorted Civics, Assorted Integras, Sentra SE-R Spec-V, F-150, Early Modded Golf, Modded GP SE, Stock GP GT, Altima 2.5S, Maxima. Killed By: Modded RSX-S, Heavily Modded Older RX-7, 2005 Altima 3.5, VW Bora Modded, Modded Turbo'd Jetta. Now retired till further modification.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >