Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#81220 - 08/13/03 10:16 AM Beefing up the suspension
Wyld Angel Offline
Loc: NC
Hello all. I have a 2000 GTP. I bought it new. Ok, so it took me a while to get brave enough to start wanting to tweak it a bit (well that and I just paid it off, so it is allll mine now). I have loved this model since it hit the roads. I have had a few issues along the way, but overall I have been rather more than a little pleased with my black beauty.

I am a newbie so bear with me please. I do have an above average knowledge of cars, but haven't really kept my 'feet wet' for many years so I am very rusty!

We are going to hit 42,000 today. I would love to get some coaching on many issues including the extra horsepower tweaks. I know it can be done, just not sure what, where, etc. I have always been rather anal about maintanence so the car, although not babied angel . So I would like to do this right. Although I once again won't be doing it myself, I would like to come from a point of knowledge while I am shopping around.

The car was bought originally as a family car that would be FUN for me commuting to work or whatever. It isn't so much a family car now though that is part of the problems I am having. When everyone gets in the car for an outing, the car can't handle the load. Please HELP. I do NOT want to have to trade her for an SUV!! I want to get my 'driving excitement' back yet it must be tough enough for that occasional load. I live in an area of land mines...er potholes and rough pavement. As well as a place that doesn't seem to believe a car should even be this low (to which the front spoiler can attest!). So lowering it further is out of the question.

I appreciate all your help.

Faith
#81221 - 08/13/03 05:59 PM Re: Beefing up the suspension
kwiksilver Offline
Loc: Annapolis, MD
This is what I posted in th first post thread:

posted August 12, 2003 07:54 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ram air is really just for looks on the GTP's. All it might help with is a little cooler air but even then it's negligble. I got one because it does look sweet on the car.

First things to do for engine:

Exhaust- Minimum remove the ubend and replace the down pipe with a freer flowing one.

Intake - Remove the airbox and install a CAI. If money's tight or you just one to save money go with a fenderwell intake.

S/C Pulley - put a 3.4 on there. Preferably a modular system one.

Computer - Once you have the above 3 drop in a DHP PCM. Firms up the shifts nicly also.

These mods combined will put you into the high 13's in the 1/4 mile all for less than $1000.

Things for the twisties:

Brakes - Go with the larger powerslot rotors or Baer brake kits.

Sway Bars - bigger is better.

Strut Tower Braces - Has a minimum get the front one. You can get either the buick bar from the dealership (<$10) but you have to drill holes for it or just pay the money and get the nice one from PFYC.com.

Strut/Springs - Replace em with the ones from PFYC.com.

96 Ebony Satin nitrous powered SHO
(sold)