Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#82125 - 07/18/05 06:22 PM Some help is greatly needed. Downpipe gasket from hell.
bryanp Offline
Loc: Omaha
So yeah. Long story short. I bought the r/t downpipe and super 40's. I thought my father would freak out, so I did it all on my own. I found a shop, I had them install it.

Terrible idea, I'm 18, they farted it off. Terrible job. Ruined original gasket that r/t gave me.

Sounded/looked bad enough to where my dad has pity on me and helped me out with a new exhaust.

I special ordered 2 gaskets from random tech, and all the bolts and springs to mount the downpipe on.

I brought the gasket into the exhaust shop, and they told me that basically the gasket works but barely.

They say the diameter of the downpipe is too big, for the stock header manifold pipe. They say that basically a gasket that works for the headers is too small for the dp, and vice versa.

He says he wants to weld on the original flange gasket from the original downpipe onto my r/t downpipe, so they will come together properly.

All I know is my car sounds like a beater buick, and I want to get that gasket fixed. Is he lying, telling the truth, whats the best way to get this gasket fixed?

I apologize for so many questions. I have put more money into this exhaust than I ever imagined. I could have bought a Borla 2 times over just about.

Please guys, if you can help me, send out some ideas. I don't know what to do. I don't even want to drive this thing.

cheers

Thanks guys.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/684818
#82126 - 07/18/05 07:06 PM Re: Some help is greatly needed. Downpipe gasket from hell.
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Have em weld it on. And by the way the borla system is a catback where as your DP is the cat forward. I just read the GP store write up on the RT dp. They claim the DP is a direct bolt for TOGs headers not stock manifolds frown So it doesn't surprise me that it won't bolt up cleanly.
#82127 - 07/18/05 07:43 PM Re: Some help is greatly needed. Downpipe gasket from hell.
JPGTP Offline
Loc: Colorado Springs
So in other words, u have to get the OTG headers and the Dp to make them fit properly........
#82128 - 07/20/05 12:40 AM Re: Some help is greatly needed. Downpipe gasket from hell.
Steve Offline
Loc: Akron, Ohio
I have the RT DP, bolted to the stock exhaust manifolds, and a Borla exhaust. Not one problem with the manifold gasket for the past year. I did however notice that the DP made a 'ticking' noise under hard acceleration. It's because the RT DP is single walled, it's not as quiet. The stock pipe is double-walled to be quieter. I bought some exhaust wrap and put it on the RT DP and now I'm a happy driver!
thumbsup

SLP CAI, DHP, 3.4, 180° stat, Trans cooler, Random Tech DP, Borla cat back, KYB's, bitchin' paperclip mod.