Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#82807 - 05/08/02 04:24 PM Washer Fluid Leak,Battery Corroded/HELP!
Chrissy from MA Offline
Loc: Kingston, MA
My Windshield Washer fluid tank is leaking around the cap causing fluid to slosh (if thats a word) onto the battery contacts....then it corrodes, then the car dosnt start untill I clean off the corrosion. Replacing the cap didnt fix the problem...any one else this happen to??poor design?? Or is my car just demonic...lol
Any suggestions on how to fix, short of no longer having the luxury of washer fluid??(I kinda like the stuff in the yucky New England Winter)

Chrissy

Mods: Thrasher CAI w/ Relocated IAT Sensor, STB's, 180-Tstat, RT High flow CAT, SLP Loudmouth Exhaust, DHP PCM, MSD Coils,GM Tranny Cooler, Painted calipers w/ Grandprix decals,MSD Coils,PIAA superwhite headlights and Superwhite fogs,clear corners, and a whole lotta bass....
#82808 - 05/08/02 04:57 PM Re: Washer Fluid Leak,Battery Corroded/HELP!
Firebirdan Offline
Loc: Arvada, CO
Cant you just not fill the solvent tank up all the way to the neck??? Otherwise try replacing the actual tank, the might be a hairline crack in the neck of the tank that allows fluid tranfer to your battery
#82809 - 05/08/02 09:55 PM Re: Washer Fluid Leak,Battery Corroded/HELP!
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Hello,

A good "anti-corrosion" compound is axle grease. Try coating your terminals w/ it, or, I believe NAPA has a spray on alternative that resists corrosion. Obviously there's a problem with your washer bottle, and this is not a fix, but, until you can figure out a fix, this will help the battle, and, it will continue to resist corrosion after the fix.

http://pdxcgp.com
#82810 - 05/09/02 07:15 AM Re: Washer Fluid Leak,Battery Corroded/HELP!
Chris Jarrett Offline
Loc: Delaware County, PA
Check junk yard for W-Body fluid containers, it should be pretty easy to find one. Or if you ever see anyone that is junking there car on the forums ask them for it. I don't think there is that high of demand for washer fluid containers;) But until then use some duct tape. It may not look pretty, but you probally wont have to clean your connections everytime. If you cant duct it...f**k it... angel
Fully Loaded
Reflective Badges Everywhere, S.S. Grilles, Thrasher CAI,
Painted Calipers,
180 T-stat, titanium tint,Blazertech 3200's, ASP 3.4
Chinny's Rims
#82811 - 05/09/02 07:34 AM Re: Washer Fluid Leak,Battery Corroded/HELP!
Charles Weber Offline
Loc: Ankeny, Iowa, USA
Just a thought. Could the corrosion problem be the first sign of the infamous Delco battery terminal problem? It has happened to enough people that it might be worth checking.

Charles
#82812 - 05/09/02 09:40 AM Re: Washer Fluid Leak,Battery Corroded/HELP!
Chrissy from MA Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Charles Weber:
Could the corrosion problem be the first sign of the infamous Delco battery terminal problem? It has happened to enough people that it might be worth checking.

Charles
What exactly is that? Im pretty sure its cuz the washer fluid leaks onto it...cuz u can see dried washer fluid on the bottle....but what are you reffering to?? confused

Mods: Thrasher CAI w/ Relocated IAT Sensor, STB's, 180-Tstat, RT High flow CAT, SLP Loudmouth Exhaust, DHP PCM, MSD Coils,GM Tranny Cooler, Painted calipers w/ Grandprix decals,MSD Coils,PIAA superwhite headlights and Superwhite fogs,clear corners, and a whole lotta bass....
#82813 - 05/09/02 10:06 AM Re: Washer Fluid Leak,Battery Corroded/HELP!
Chew Offline
Loc: Washington, DC
Are you still running the stock battery?

If so the stock ACDelcos are notorious for having terminal problems. Apparently, they were over torqued from the factory or they used terminal bolts that were too long. This caused the terminal bolt to punch a hole into the battery itself and cause a fuild leak - hence corrosion around the side terminal bolt.

If that is your problem, then the only thing to do is to replace the battery.

As to fluid leaking from the washer resevoir - even though the lid is closed, try pulling up the resevoir and see if there is something wrong with the overflow tube - which comes out the bottom of the tank.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Chew

2007 Sly Silver Pontiac Solstice GXP
#82814 - 05/09/02 10:35 AM Re: Washer Fluid Leak,Battery Corroded/HELP!
crazyliver Offline
Loc: Canada
Hi Chrissy

I also have a 97. What I did was purchase a 98+ bottle, and relocated it in the fender. It cleans up the engine compartment nicely. But I do still have my old bottle, and it doesn't leak. email me privately at crazyliver@hotmail.com if you want it. I would only want enough money to cover the shipping. I assume a new bottle is in the $30 range, so that might be the better route.

Steve
#82815 - 05/10/02 09:32 AM Re: Washer Fluid Leak,Battery Corroded/HELP!
Chrissy from MA Offline
how did you relocate it to the fender the way the 98's are?? I moved the coolant bottle there for the CAI....and yes, I do still have the stock battery

#82816 - 05/10/02 10:00 AM Re: Washer Fluid Leak,Battery Corroded/HELP!
crazyliver Offline
Loc: Canada
I did it with the front bumper off, because I was doing a fenderwell intake at the same time.

Parts List:

1 lower fluid tank (98+)
1 level sensor (98+)
1 upper spout (98+)

You can reuse the wiper pump, but I had to cut some tape on the wiring harness to get enough wire to reach. (no cutting wires required, just tape)
People have done this, search on clubgp for it. It just bolts up to existing holes (well 2 out of 3 anyway, I only used 2 and it holds fine.)

email me if you have any other questions.
Steve