Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#83076 - 03/09/07 07:43 PM Re: those of you with drilled/slotted brakes
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Actually less unsprung weight improves suspension response and increases handling.

What's so great about 12" rotors? Much larger friction area reducing stopping distance.
#83077 - 03/09/07 07:47 PM Re: those of you with drilled/slotted brakes
xXAbercrombie05 Offline
Loc: Ann Arbor, Michigan
ahhh i think ill stick to stock :-P sounds like too much work to make the other brackets work =\
-----------------------------------
#83078 - 03/09/07 07:50 PM Re: those of you with drilled/slotted brakes
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
Quote:
Originally posted by r1concepts:
Dementeddj, glad to hear that you're interested in our rotors. Did you end up purchasing them?
no, not as of yet, but I think that I will give them a shot, and possibly next year ugrade to the Baer package for the whole car, depending on how I like them. right now I need new brakes. how long you think it will take to get a set from CA to KS if I order any?
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
#83079 - 03/09/07 09:19 PM Re: those of you with drilled/slotted brakes
20gtp02 Offline
Depends, I think I ordered from same place, don't remember, mine got screwed up in the process because when the place did there coating or what not they messed it up and had to wait on new ones before they shipped them out. Good Luck. When mine came, the UPS driver waddled to my drive way, so I ran down and grabbed the heavy thing from him, thought he was gonna pass out.

#83080 - 03/09/07 10:03 PM Re: those of you with drilled/slotted brakes
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
[QB] Actually less unsprung weight improves suspension response and increases handling.

True, it will improve handling too. Just as much as removing 12 pounds from anywhere else in the car

-fiberglass hood
-removing spare tire
-etc etc.

I was under the impression he was saying that removing 12pounds from the brakes was helping it stop better.
#83081 - 03/10/07 03:40 PM Re: those of you with drilled/slotted brakes
DenverGT Offline
Loc: Denver, CO
No, the reduced caliper weight is different than other weight reduction you mentioned. It is unsprung weight. It has a much more direct impact on handling. Reducing unsprung weight makes the suspension more responsive. The larger rotors increase the unsprung weight, the aluminum calipers reduce it.

No, the lighter calipers won't improve stopping distance. But going to 12" rotors improve stopping distance (better leverage), going to F-body brakes improves it, and the lighter weight calipers keep the handling from suffering from the heavier rotors.

Quote:
Originally posted by UMfan:
True, it will improve handling too. Just as much as removing 12 pounds from anywhere else in the car

-fiberglass hood
-removing spare tire
-etc etc.

I was under the impression he was saying that removing 12pounds from the brakes was helping it stop better. [/QB]
#83082 - 03/10/07 04:46 PM Re: those of you with drilled/slotted brakes
quark_man Offline
Loc: Alberta
my only two cents are pad wear. Rotors with perforations will reduce the life of the pad faster then rotors without. Also "drilled" is a misnomer. They are not drilled. The holes are part of the fabrication process. Drilling would induce cracking of the rotor. I would also buy slotted only as they are the best of both worlds.
#83083 - 03/10/07 05:29 PM Re: those of you with drilled/slotted brakes
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Quote:
Originally posted by quark_man:
"drilled" is a misnomer. They are not drilled. The holes are part of the fabrication process.
I believe the rotors we buy are drilled....
I've heard of high end rotors having cast holes, but I'm unsure if there are any available for our cars. Maybe Baer, or Brembo.... Might be something to look into if you're interested in "the best".

http://pdxcgp.com
#83084 - 03/10/07 10:48 PM Re: those of you with drilled/slotted brakes
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Yup, ours are true drilled slots. Drilled on a CNC machine.

I think I heard once that it was either Porsche or Ferarri that has the only rotors that are cast w/holes.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#219469 - 08/24/18 07:05 AM Re: those of you with drilled/slotted brakes [Re: Dementeddj]
stevelarsc Offline
Loc: California
If you are looking for brakes and rotors, filter engine oil and brake pads, standard brakes, performance brake rotor, brake accessories, brake shoes, brake rotors, brake pads, brake drums, brake kit you can be in touch with Brake Time USA.
BRAKETIMEUSA, https://www.braketimeusa.com/ takes pride in supplying AMERICA with the best AMERICAN Automotive Parts. Whether those parts are for Economy reasons or Performance reasons is totally up to our customers. This company is the leading retailer in the US market, with over 50 years of automotive brake knowledge & experience.
You can reach them on 8184452389 Or info@braketimeusa.com"