Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#83283 - 08/24/09 02:17 PM Cooling Elbow Pictures remove / install walkthrough
notladstyle Offline
Loc: Tampa FL
Although there are already a couple walk through available, here is one more with lots of pictures.

Make sure you have gasket prep, 1 gallon of coolant, and the two coolant elbows. A breaker bar REALLY helps in tight spaces like this.

Engine block to the idler coolant elbow is GM Part 24503423 and idler to the water pump is 12565082

1.Remove the coolant tank. Remove the serpentine belt by turning the idler pulley counter clockwise.

2. Remove alternator. No need to unhook wires.

2. Remove idler. Pull the idle directly towards the passenger wheel well. Note the direction of the elbows and the end of the lower elbow that goes into the idler.

Coolant will pour all over if you don't drain the radiator beforehand (I didn't).

3. Remove elbows from idler. They might break off in the piping be careful to remove all traces of them so they don't cause problems later. also inspect the engine block to ensure the elbows didn't break off inside there as well.

Broken elbow end stuck in idler:

4. Rather than disconnecting the heater pipes and alternator wiring, I just put them on top of rags off to the side of the engine.

5. I used gasket prep on the ends of the new elbows.

6. Install the elbows facing towards the engine exactly as the old ones were facing.

7. line up the idler with the elbow holes on the engine, push directly towards drivers side wheel well. Once you have the elbows mated, thread all three bolts by hand. Tighten the center most bolt and then the other two.

8. Reinstall alternator and replace serpentine belt.

9. Open the bleed valve located over the thermostat on the drivers side of the engine.

10. Open Radiator cap, fill radiator.

11. Close the radiator cap but leave the bleed valve open and raise the coolant tank as high as you can then tip it towards the hose. This will bleed most of the air out of the system.

12. Once you see coolant spraying out of the bleed valve and no air, close it and reinstall the coolant tank.

13. Refill the coolant tank if needed.
#83284 - 08/24/09 03:01 PM Re: Cooling Elbow Pictures remove / install walkthrough
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Quote:
Originally posted by notladstyle:
Quote:
Originally posted by Blackarrow98gp:
[b] Looks like you need to remove the belt tensioner and replace the coolant elbows Here's a write up: Main Drive Belt Tensioner Removal Procedure and Bypass Elbows \'99-\'03 They are also available in the Dorman (Help!) line, part# 47065 at most auto parts stores.
If this is what it is, I owe you a beer. I'll know tomorrow when I get get a camera down to see where exactly the leak is coming from. [/b]
Glad it's fixed, and since you're buying, make it a Guinness.. wink
#83285 - 08/24/09 03:53 PM Re: Cooling Elbow Pictures remove / install walkthrough
notladstyle Offline
Yes I definitely owe you a beer... or a keg - If you are in Tampa feel free to hit me up.

Now that I'm done I wish I would have replaced the water pump too since it was only $40 more:p
#83286 - 08/24/09 04:00 PM Re: Cooling Elbow Pictures remove / install walkthrough
GTPCompG Offline
Loc: Ames, Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by notladstyle:
Yes I definitely owe you a beer... or a keg - If you are in Tampa feel free to hit me up.

Now that I'm done I wish I would have replaced the water pump too since it was only $40 more:p
Don't forget me too. laugh

Inferno Package/CAI/180tstat/3" DP/AL 104 XP's/3.8 MPS/Tuned
#83287 - 08/24/09 04:26 PM Re: Cooling Elbow Pictures remove / install walkthrough
notladstyle Offline
Everyone who helped is welcome to a beer and a game of halo at my place laugh
#83288 - 08/28/09 12:39 PM Re: Cooling Elbow Pictures remove / install walkthrough
stoveguy Offline
Loc: minnesota
yes, i just did the elbows also and could feel the wp bearing was not right. if you can feel looseness or any wobble, than change it out. my engine compartment was also messy from the coolant leak. washed everything but still smells a bit like coolant. level is fine now, no leaks.