Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#83363 - 01/14/03 04:16 PM Misc problems and questions
AlphaWolf Offline
Loc: Utica, NY
First off, I'd like to say hi to everyone on this list. I just bought my first american made car back in spetember after having Honda's for the past 6 years. I'm loving my '99 Grand Prix GT, but just have a few questions for the experts here.

First off, my drivers side window goes up and down normally in warm weather, but when the temp drops below freezing, it goes down fine, but is extreamly slow going up. From what I've read here, does the track just need lubrication? Seems strange that it goes down fine but won't go up at the same speed.

Second, how in the heck do you reset the Change Oil Soon light? I read that you turn the key to On, press the accelerator 3 times, then turn it off and it should reset, but it's not.

Third, what should be the normal range for the remote door openers? I'm getting around 20 feet at most. I'm used to my Honda that would open up to 150' away. I already changed the battery thinking it was just dying but that didn't help.

Forth, the drivers side door seems to close a lot louder and squeek a bit when you open it compared to the passenger side door. Does this have to do with the alignment problems I keep reading about? Strange coincidence that it's also my drivers side window that's acting up. Any ideas?

Fifth, anyone know the audio system? I keep reading that the GP has 6 speakers, but I think that ended with the '98? My rear deck only has 2 speakers that I can see. I'm trying to figure out why the GP has such a great audio system. It's got by far the best stock audio system I've ever heard.

Sixth, this list is getting longer than I thought. Does anyone have a rough estimate to repaint the entire car? It has a bunch of chips on the hood and multiple scraches and a rather nasty gouge along the PS rear fender pannel. I'm pretty sure that the last owner didn't take good care of it and just keep waxing over the chips.

I think that's it for now. If anyone has any answers it's be helpful. Especially if you have any cost estimates since it's out of warranty.

Thanks for all your help.
High Powered Gaming Computers
AlphaWolf@RomulusWeb.com
#83364 - 01/15/03 01:09 PM Re: Misc problems and questions
Marc Harbison Offline
Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
- Windows notoriously go up slower than down. Try squirting some WD40 or other lubricant in the window guides and that should help.

- You can reset the Oil life by holding down the reset button for something like 5 - 10 seconds.

- Our key fobs generally suck regarding range. Always have...

- The driver door is going to get a better work out than the passenger door so it will need more attention. Use a little lithium grease on the moveable parts.

- I don't know dick about our stereos. They don't make my car go any faster, so I don't mess them.

- Cost of repainting your car is going to depend on who does it. You get what you pay for. All I can say is, don't take it MACCO. They absolutely suck! The reason they're so cheap is because they do very little prep work. They simply clean the car and spray over the existing paint. With in a year, you'll have your new paint cracking and peeling.

Marc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RIP '97 GTP w/ 192K miles - Totaled when broadsided
#83365 - 01/15/03 08:12 PM Re: Misc problems and questions
stick Offline
Loc: Canada
I can help with a couple of things.

If you 99 GT is like mine with the low-tech driver information center, there is no reset oil life button. That's on the step up from ours. To reset mine, I have to turn the key on to "run" (with the engine off) and press and hold the accelerator 3 times within about 6 seconds or so. Make sure to hold the pedal down for about 1 full second. I found it takes a delicate touch to get the timing right. Have to try a bunch of times before the light finally the light does the "quick flash" to let you know it has got your message.

On your key fob range, some folks suggest touching the fob to your chin. Strange, but it seems to help. 20 feet is actually pretty good range frown

Speakers - two in the rear deck, two in the lower doors, and two mini-tweeters on the door near the A pillar.

My rear doors rattle when I shut them. I spent a couple of hours with the inner panels off trying to locate the source. I found that the lock actuator rod was the culprit. That cured it for then - but now a year later - they are starting again.

That's all I can help with, other than to feel your pain of paint chips. I have more chips in my hood that I want to admit to. I look at that as my excuse to get a RAM air hood someday. It has to be painted then anyways....
#83366 - 01/16/03 12:57 AM Re: Misc problems and questions
AlphaWolf Offline
Loc: Utica, NY
Thanks for the info.

As far as my window goes, i'm just trying to figure out why it's only slow in the winter. Durring the warmer weather, it works perfectly.
High Powered Gaming Computers
AlphaWolf@RomulusWeb.com
#83367 - 01/16/03 01:57 PM Re: Misc problems and questions
vortec4200 Offline
Loc: Sterling Heights, MI
I'll bet it's because the cold weather makes the grease 'thicker'. Kind of like molasses in January. smile
#83368 - 01/18/03 01:31 PM Re: Misc problems and questions
Littleman Offline
Loc: Alabama
Ragarding lubrication, NEVER I mean NEVER squirt WD40 on anything unless it is a frozen bolt or rusty nut or something like that.
WD40 is a penatrant and EATS almost all materials. Hey it eats rust, what do ya think it will do to rubber and vynal?
Use lithium spray or silicon spray.
#83369 - 01/18/03 01:35 PM Re: Misc problems and questions
Littleman Offline
Loc: Alabama
...also regarding cold weather and windows, this is common through out many makes and models. I've seen this in every car company. Some models better and some worse. It is due to several things. 1 Being the expansion of some of the rubber material. It is suppose to shrink in cold and expand in heat, but not always. Second is the power structure in pontiacs are odd. There isn't enough juice that gets to the windows in the first place. Expecially in winter the heater is on and the seat heater (IF you got it). You may notice it going a little faster if you turn other power items off. Not a whole heck of a lot.

I'm glad you've gone American. My job is not automotive, but it is an American made product, and I can speak for all those of us that make a product, thank you for buying American.

CR