Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#83640 - 12/20/02 12:00 PM 3.8 non-SC to 3.8 SC engine swap/ what all do i need to do it
Massa P Offline
Loc: Killen, AL
I am replacing my n/a 3.8 with a SC 3.8 and I was wondering if the wiring harness and the computer where the only two things that i needed to do this swap.

If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Massa P
#83641 - 12/20/02 12:46 PM Re: 3.8 non-SC to 3.8 SC engine swap/ what all do i need to do it
Ferb Offline
Loc: San Luis Obispo, CA
Uhm.. So you're wanting to replace an engine and haven't looked yourself to see what is involved.. Interesting..

Just off the top, you'll need a new harness, PCM, tranny (the 4T65E will not bolt up directly) or a new flexplate with the L67 crank holes on the L36 plate along with rebalancing.

Lessee... You'll need all the fuel lines. Different fuel pump to get the extra pressure while under boost (don't forget that resistor!).

No doubt there are odds-and-ends that i'm not thinking about, so keep those in mind.

This is going to probably cost more than you're wanting to spend.. I would HIGHLY suggest the centrifugal supercharger that ZZP is building. Easy bolt-on to the L36 and relatively inexpensive.

ferb!
#83642 - 12/23/02 07:22 PM Re: 3.8 non-SC to 3.8 SC engine swap/ what all do i need to do it
Lord Humongus Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Ferb:
Uhm.. So you're wanting to replace an engine and haven't looked yourself to see what is involved.. Interesting..

Just off the top, you'll need a new harness, PCM, tranny (the 4T65E will not bolt up directly) or a new flexplate with the L67 crank holes on the L36 plate along with rebalancing.

Lessee... You'll need all the fuel lines. Different fuel pump to get the extra pressure while under boost (don't forget that resistor!).

No doubt there are odds-and-ends that i'm not thinking about, so keep those in mind.

This is going to probably cost more than you're wanting to spend.. I would HIGHLY suggest the centrifugal supercharger that ZZP is building. Easy bolt-on to the L36 and relatively inexpensive.

ferb!
Wouldnt a Buick turbo or an M62 supercharger work better for him?
#83643 - 12/24/02 01:05 PM Re: 3.8 non-SC to 3.8 SC engine swap/ what all do i need to do it
Ferb Offline
Loc: San Luis Obispo, CA
Hm. Never really considered that, frankly. I didn't think the Series I L27 manifold was the same as the L36, so the M62 from an old SSEi never crossed my mind. And will the turbo fit in the engine bay in a currently designed W-body?

Those are both two interesting ideas, thanks for sharing them. That definately gives a lot more options of scrap-yard salvaging.

ferb!