Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#83978 - 11/09/07 05:15 PM bad supercharger?
98 gtp girl Offline
Loc: dayton ohio
Ok so my car was making a noise in the front end when i first bought it they looked at it and said it wasnt anything with a warranty i bought it and now the noise has got louder so i took it in and after 2 days they have concluded that i have a broken sway bar and a "bad supercharger" as they said...$3100.00 my warranty is i pay half however the salesman remembers me saying there was a noise when i bought it and the service department wrote it down like they said they would so he thinks his manager is going to cover it..i just cant believe its the surpercharger and not sure how warrantys go and if i have to go through them or can i take it some place else?

#83979 - 11/09/07 05:21 PM Re: bad supercharger?
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
it may just be the coupler behind the nose drive thats bad...not the entire blower assembly...I think its time for a second opinion.
If you do have to wind up replacing the blower, Ed Morad can fix you up for less than they want for half your warranty cost...I really believe its most likely the coupler.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#83980 - 11/09/07 05:24 PM Re: bad supercharger?
98 gtp girl Offline
well if they cover it then they can put a new one on but if not then i am going to look at other options but for now he claims its the supercharger..they gave me a loaner 08 trailblazer omg what a gas hog!!

#83981 - 11/09/07 05:45 PM Re: bad supercharger?
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
A supercharger doesn't really go 'bad'.

The parts in it can get worn, but I don't see how it can possibly total up to over 3k. Definitely get a second opinion, that guy sounds like he's pulling crap out of the air. Besides, even if it is covered by warrant, I would never trust someone that doesn't seem like they know what they're talking about to replace my supercharger. No way.

From what you're describing, I have to agree with Tbat, it sounds like a worn coupler, which is a 40 dollar, do it yourself fix. That's weird that it would go bad with so little miles on it. They must not have ever changed the s/c fluid.
#83982 - 11/09/07 05:56 PM Re: bad supercharger?
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Sway bar, time for the Handleing kit...

S/C... Coupler

money saved by NOT going to the $tealer$hip: $2950.00
#83983 - 11/09/07 06:10 PM Re: bad supercharger?
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
If it's a rattling sound, it's most likely a worn coupler; here's a write-up on replacing it: How to replace an M90 snout coupler
#83984 - 11/09/07 09:20 PM Re: bad supercharger?
lonezergling Offline
Loc: Waterford, WI
You can get an M90 at any junkyard for around $300.

If I went to a place and they told me what they told you, I would have busted a gut and been rolling on the floor laughing.

Even if your ENTIRE blower is garbage, $300 for a new one + what a $30 gasket and 6 injector O-rings, you can fix it.

I'm not sure what $tealership pricing is on a sway bar but in ALL honesty, $3k is way way way too much.

Heck, you could do it yourself really. Simple socket set would suffice but it's a somewhat involved process and the blower is kind heavy.

But

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/venomman/
"If you are asking if you can do it, you can't. When you have learned enough to know that you can do it, you are able to." -me
#83985 - 11/09/07 10:57 PM Re: bad supercharger?
Baas140 Offline
Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
personally, i would talk to them again, and find out why they think the supercharger is bad. get all the information you can on what their reasoning is, and what they think is wrong. then let us know what they say so we can determine if theyre blowin smoke.

also, find out for sure what your warranty covers. if it will cover it, well then piss on it and let them replace whatever they want to.

i would find out as much as you can before you go in there and tell them "a bunch of guys on an online forum said your wrong". although most of the guys on here know probably as much if not more than the mechanics. let us know what they say so we can give you more help. a "bad supercharger" is pretty broad lol.
#83986 - 11/09/07 11:36 PM Re: bad supercharger?
Arcxnus Offline
Oh, you know what. Now that I think about it.

They may pull crap on you just because you're a girl. People have done it to me before, so watch out for that, too.

Some mechanics will assume that something with boobs couldn't possibly understand anything about a car, and some of them will try to fasttalk you.
#83987 - 11/09/07 11:40 PM Re: bad supercharger?
98 gtp girl Offline
yeah it sucks i have had the car for less then 2 months and this already. i really dont think its what they are saying i will know in the morning if they are covering it or what

#83988 - 11/09/07 11:41 PM Re: bad supercharger?
Richard Candelario Offline
that still happens, huh?

good thing I aint female. Id have a lot of prison time pending for me by now.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#83989 - 11/10/07 12:04 AM Re: bad supercharger?
lonezergling Offline
Loc: Waterford, WI
Chicks who dig cars = hot.

It does kind of suck that people still sterotype women in this specific area.

But then again, you gals can really pull a fast one on some of those guys that think girls don't know cars.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/venomman/
"If you are asking if you can do it, you can't. When you have learned enough to know that you can do it, you are able to." -me
#83990 - 11/10/07 03:15 AM Re: bad supercharger?
Acefighter Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by lonezergling:
Chicks who dig cars = hot.

It does kind of suck that people still sterotype women in this specific area.

But then again, you gals can really pull a fast one on some of those guys that think girls don't know cars.
Or know how to race... lol The thought of a guy getting smoked by a girl, expecting to win simply because she's a girl, amuses me. smile I know a couple friends like that, actually, and I can picture their faces after a loss.
#83991 - 11/10/07 05:20 AM Re: bad supercharger?
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
You have plenty of options and if you're SC IS BAD and they wo'nt warrenty it check out 3800 performance you can buy a fully ported SC for $695. or try e-bay I picked up a used SC for about $100 bucks .Chico(pops)
#83992 - 11/10/07 09:53 AM Re: bad supercharger?
Arcxnus Offline
Yeah, it still happens.

The last time I ever got lazy and had my oil changed for me, the guys there tried to tell me I needed a new fuel filter and that my oil was dirty so I needed some engine clean thing. The guy (read: guy) before me with a big dirty old truck got out of there without a word of that kind of stuff from them.

The fuel filter was brand new. Seriously. Slick knows, he was there, showing me how to change it THE DAY BEFORE. And of course my oil is dirty, it's been in the car for seven thousand miles. The guy talking to me started stumbling after that.

Unfortunately my mom is an easy victim for these people, so she's always asking me what to do when she has to have something done. It does happen, a lot. To the point where I don't have anything done to my car that myself, HACGP or Slick can do/help me with. Adding gender discrimination onto the usual DUR DUR DUR of most shops is just too much for me. I digress, however, every so often there will be a parts place or a random mech that will see things for what they are and give props and they're the ones that make it even the slightest bit worth it.

.. It's funny. I feel bad when any of them try to go into it with me, because odds are they're going to get ****ing owned. lol

I just wrote a book!
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >