Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#87071 - 02/08/04 05:56 PM Electric Window Motor Replacement
gary Offline
Loc: San Diego
My right rear electric window motor seems to have crapped out. Fortunately, it did so with the window in the up position.

When I rock the window switch, I hear a faint clicking from within the back door, plus another, slightly louder clunk from somewhere in the left front area of the car. Window doesn't do anything.

I conclude from the faint clicking in the back door that power is getting to the motor. I have no idea what to make of the slightly louder clunk from further forward. Comments?????

Has anyone ever replaced a window motor, and if so, how hard is it to do.

Regards, Gary in Sandy Eggo
#87072 - 02/08/04 07:40 PM Re: Electric Window Motor Replacement
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
I almost replaced my window motor but didn't at the last minute. My father said to first hit it up with some silicon lubricant. I sprayed the front and back of the windows slot while I rolled the window up and it took care of it. It was just friction. With the noises you're hearing, it might be the actual motor. But try grabbing the window and push toward the front of the car while rolling the window up. On mine there was too much friction on the back of the window.

Give it a shot. Worse case, you're right back where you started at thinking you need a new motor.

Here's a link:
http://rmcgp.clubgp.com/windowmotor.html
#87073 - 02/08/04 10:30 PM Re: Electric Window Motor Replacement
gary Offline
Thanks for the insight. I'll fiddle with it a little before trying to tear into it. Mine window is up at this time.

Regards, Gary
#87074 - 02/09/04 08:25 PM Re: Electric Window Motor Replacement
gary Offline
Wull, go figger. Tried the window this morning, and it works just fine. Ran it up and down a couple times to work it, then left it up.

My car's been like that. I get wierd dash lights, and they go out by themselves. It started with the radio which goes crazy sometimes, but left alone it fixes itself. I've decided to just let it fix itself from now on.

#87075 - 02/09/04 11:56 PM Re: Electric Window Motor Replacement
snowcrash Offline
Loc: charlotte, nc
Quote:
Originally posted by gary:
Wull, go figger. Tried the window this morning, and it works just fine. Ran it up and down a couple times to work it, then left it up.

My car's been like that. I get wierd dash lights, and they go out by themselves. It started with the radio which goes crazy sometimes, but left alone it fixes itself. I've decided to just let it fix itself from now on.

hey gary, my windows in the rear use to act up all the time it seemed like. they would just quit working at weird times after they'd been used a lot. turns out, i ripped the left rear door panel(pia) and started messing with it the switch to up and down, started working fine. they never did mess up while down. i knew the switch was working, cause the lights would dim while trying to work them.

here's what i'm concluding, i believe it has something on mine to do with the lock out switch for the windows. the last couple times it happened, i guess i pushed the switch in and out, and tried them and they worked fine.
dhp 1.0
#87076 - 02/10/04 08:13 PM Re: Electric Window Motor Replacement
gary Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by snowcrash: here's what i'm concluding, i believe it has something on mine to do with the lock out switch for the windows. the last couple times it happened, i guess i pushed the switch in and out, and tried them and they worked fine.
Hmmmmmmmmm!!!! Good dicktective work. Turns out I fiddle-dicked with the lock-out switch the evening before too. It IS an additional switch between the rear window and the switches.

OTOH, my right rear window was working during this same time. I would suspect if that were the culprit, both rear windows would be affected.

Never mind. I'll just let the thing go squirrely then fix itself without getting too concerned. Just as long as it continues to run.

#87077 - 02/15/04 10:52 PM Re: Electric Window Motor Replacement
Isotrip Offline
Loc: SWFLA
Don't discount the fact that it may be the window "felts" or "rubbers" as it were. Some areas of the country know them as felts others know them as Rubbers but they are the lil rubber liners at the bottom of the window and when they get old they will hold up the window as the window motors do not have high torque at all. the rubber acts like a brake if they are old. This is a common condition among older GM's -and- fords.

HTH
#87078 - 02/19/04 12:06 PM Re: Electric Window Motor Replacement
Rich's Explicit Prix Offline
Loc: Houston
Same thing happened to me but a little different. My window would roll down but not up so i ended up the night with the window down. it turns out that the plastic messed up and the switch would not be pushed down so the window would not roll out. i can't fix it b/c its plastic i have to get new switches. any ideas?
http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/545341