Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#87561 - 02/12/09 07:55 PM One more try on the 15s
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I spoke with a rep at SummitRacing today and he said I could order one wheel and do another dry fit for clearance. If it doesnt fit then it can be returned with no restocking fee.
Summit makes a series of wheels under their own brand name that are basically Weld knock-offs. One looks like the Prostar, one like the Draglite and the other like the Halibrand 5 spoke gasser rim. The big exception being Summit's wheels are cast aluminum and use a standard conical lugnut.

I ordered one Summit Sport (Draglite style) in 15x8,5.5 backspace, +25mm offset, polished finish (only way it comes). So I should have the wheel early next week and I'll see what kind of issues there may be with caliper clearance. Holding my breath on this one.

Looks like I'll have huge weekend lined up very soon. New lower control arms w/bushing and ball joints, GMPP handling kit, Monroe Quik struts and maybe new wheels...busy busy.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#87562 - 02/12/09 09:45 PM Re: One more try on the 15s
20gtp02 Offline
Yah that sounds like a fun projec, especially if that rim fits!!! Watch the knuckles!
We love pics!!!

#87563 - 02/13/09 12:46 AM Re: One more try on the 15s
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Good Luck!
#87564 - 02/13/09 05:27 PM Re: One more try on the 15s
GP GT GUY Offline
Loc: Indianapolis
good luck... do you have any different brakes or anything? i don't see why it doesn't work...

i thought they offered one 15" rim for the GP's

what size is the steelie?

2000 GP GT 20's, altezzas, clears, F/M super 44's, some little blue L.E.D.s

#87565 - 02/13/09 05:44 PM Re: One more try on the 15s
ordonez1307 Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by GP GT GUY:
good luck... do you have any different brakes or anything? i don't see why it doesn't work...

Diameter is far from the only thing to take into account when putting on wheels.
#87566 - 02/13/09 06:07 PM Re: One more try on the 15s
ThunderBat Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by ordonez1307:
Quote:
Originally posted by GP GT GUY:
[b] good luck... do you have any different brakes or anything? i don't see why it doesn't work...

Diameter is far from the only thing to take into account when putting on wheels. [/b]
Aint that the truth banghead I have found a huge set of circumstance involving spoke design and radial clearance inside the wheel itself. The stock steel wheel for my 2001 is a 15in but its offset and backspace provide clearance for the brake caliper both on the top and the side. If these wheels from Summit dont clear the brakes then its back to the AR Santa Cruz wheels, mostlikely in black w/polished lip. I KNOW those will fit but I just was hoping for wheel with a little more dish on the front side...as well as something with bit of a "racing" feel.

#87567 - 02/14/09 04:31 PM Re: One more try on the 15s
ordonez1307 Offline
I wish I could offer advice, or help, but I really think that it has all boiled down to luck. lol.

It is the car gods telling you to keep the sexiness of the bullitts.
#87568 - 02/14/09 07:36 PM Re: One more try on the 15s
ThunderBat Offline
If the car gods were to magically lighten the Bullitts or shrink them down to use the taller sidewall tires then we would be in business.

However until such time as Moses or the like drops by the garage, I'll exercise some faith based iniative and try the new wheel on for size lol

I really wish one of those Greg Weld styles would have worked because they looked boss as hell on the car. I've been reading some horror stories online by F-body and Mustang Cobra owners who have been grinding their brake calipers like mad trying to get clearance for those wheels to fit with no success. Greg Weld Enterprises isnow saying they intend to redesign the wheel for proper clearance per application. It seems they simply borrowed someone elses specs to build the wheels and missed the mark.

I know for a fact the Santa Cruz wheels will fit, Ijust didnt like the look of the chrome wheel on the car with so little dish on the front side. I might as well put hi-po torque stars on the car. It really is amazing how much different a 1/2 inch more wheel lip looks.