Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#87732 - 03/17/04 03:38 PM throttle body gasket
terapinn2000GTP Offline
Loc: Oklahoma city
I am replacing the throttle body gasket. Do i need any gasket sealer or anything like this or does it just bolt on? Is there anything I should be aware of removing the body. Is it as easy as it looks?

Also, I talked to a guy at a performance shop and he said that the stock PCM wouldnt adjust properly for the amount of boost a 3.4 pulley gives and that it would be really bad on the piston heads. He also said I would need to increase the fuel flow. He said with larger injectors. Another guy I talked to said I may or may not need a fuel pressure regulator. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? From reading alot of these posts it seems that a 3.4 pulley with the mods listed in my other post and nothing done with the PCM and not increasing the fuel intake I would be just fine? What do you all think?
#87733 - 03/17/04 04:23 PM Re: throttle body gasket
Marc Harbison Offline
Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
Ok... the first thing you need to do is stop talking with that guy at the performance shop.

A 3.4" pulley will not require:

- a adjustable fuel pressure regulator
- larger injectors (the stock ones are good up to around 400hp)
- will not have any effect on the pistons (unless there's some other unrelated pre-existing condition)

The only thing I would agree with (to a point) is that the stock PCM might not be able to fine tune the fuel trim values. However, with minimal mods. the stock PCM won't really hinder your performance that much. Tell you what... you slip on a 3.4" pulley, unplug the PCM for about 20 minutes to let it reset and then take your car out for a spin. I'm willing to bet it'll take about two hours for the grin to disappear.

The TB gasket comes with a bead of RTV on it so you don't need to purchase a tube of sealer. It's pretty easy to take off. Just unhook the throttle and cruise control lines, undo the bolts and pull. Make sure to clean off the mating surfaces prior to reinstalling and be sure there's no little bits of rag stuck to either surface. Also, before putting it all back together... you might want to trim the TB gasket to fit the inner diameter of the TB. There always a bit of over hang here and there that can slightly disturb the air flow. Just makes the air flow more fluid. Make sure you tighten the bolts to spec when reinstalling the TB. Nothing worse than getting a vacuum leak to make a nice install go bad.

Good luck,
Marc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RIP '97 GTP w/ 192K miles - Totaled when broadsided
#87734 - 03/17/04 04:41 PM Re: throttle body gasket
terapinn2000GTP Offline
Loc: Oklahoma city
Thank you very much. You have been most helpful. The only reason I will talk to the guy at the performance shop again is to tell him hes an idiot. Thank you!!!! laugh
#87735 - 03/17/04 05:14 PM Re: throttle body gasket
why2kmax Offline
Loc: Bel Air Maryland
Marc is right as usual.

Your performance guy might not be an idiot. what he is telling you is true when supercharging some NA motors, but not all and certainly not ours. Avoid him when asking about mods for the GTP.
#87736 - 03/18/04 01:49 PM Re: throttle body gasket
quark_man Offline
Loc: Alberta
Also, performace shop guys are always around the corner to sell you something. New injectors, requlated fule line.... pricey!!
#87737 - 03/18/04 03:01 PM Re: throttle body gasket
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
"you slip on a 3.4" pulley, unplug the PCM for about 20 minutes to let it reset and then take your car out for a spin."

Did not know resetting the PCM would do anything when going with a smaller pulley. I guess I'll be resetting mine tonight.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#87738 - 03/18/04 03:53 PM Re: throttle body gasket
Marc Harbison Offline
Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
Quote:
Originally posted by Austin GTP:
Did not know resetting the PCM would do anything when going with a smaller pulley. I guess I'll be resetting mine tonight.
It's always a good idea to reset the PCM after a drivetrain kind of mod. That allows the PCM to relearn your driving habits with the new equipment.

Marc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RIP '97 GTP w/ 192K miles - Totaled when broadsided
#87739 - 03/18/04 03:55 PM Re: throttle body gasket
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Thanks for the info Marc!

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.