Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#88560 - 06/16/07 04:51 AM E-Brake question
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
OK, I need to experiment some to see if I really have a problem or not, but I figured I'd ask and see what y'all think, since I don't know when I'll be able to experiment.

I took a friend home tonight, and after I pulled in her driveway, we talked for a couple minutes, so I put the car in neutral, put the E-Brake on, and turned it off. (Don't ask when I put it in neutral instead of park, that's just what I do when I don't plan on having it off very long.) Anyway, when I took my foot off the brake pedal, we started slowly rolling backwards (her drive is at a slant, obviously) and the brakes were squealing. I re-applied the brake, disengaged the E-Brake, and then shoved back down on it with all my might, to make sure it engaged all the way. When I took my foot off the brake, we didn't move.

Is something not working right, or could the E-Brake pedal have just been maybe 90% down or so? I'm not sure if I didn't engage it quite all the way or not. It's rare that I park someplace that has a slant, that's why I'm not sure when I'll be able to experiment. Like I said, the brakes were squealing, and since we were moving back pretty slow, I'm assuming the brakes were partly engaged.

Do you think everything is ok, or should it be checked out?
#88561 - 06/16/07 06:29 AM Re: E-Brake question
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Sounds like you need a minor adjustment.
#88562 - 06/16/07 07:18 AM Re: E-Brake question
johnnywholenote Offline
Loc: MA
how do you tighten the E-brake on our cars?
#88563 - 06/16/07 10:05 AM Re: E-Brake question
Richard Candelario Offline
look for ym write-up on replacing rear hubs. when you get the disc off, at the bottom, you will find a knurled wheel. turn that to push the piston out a little more. reinstall everything, test. repeat until e-brake works or you can get the disc back on.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#88564 - 06/16/07 04:02 PM Re: E-Brake question
Acefighter Offline
This?
http://www.grandprix.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007648

And I know my front wheel hubs need replacing, or at least one does, but I can't find the write-up for that anywhere. Should your write up for the rear hubs work the same on the front?

And I really do need to experiment some and see if there is a problem before I try any work on it. I've parked in her driveway before when he mom wasn't home, and I've never had my car roll before. And like I said, when I reapplied the E-brake, it worked fine. I'm hoping I just didn't apply it quite all the way.
#88565 - 06/16/07 05:07 PM Re: E-Brake question
20gtp02 Offline
Were you nervous? ROFL. For your experiement, I would say put it in Park and Put in the E-Brake as far down as you can put it. You don't want that car rolling away on you, _______ had this problem and his car went bye bye.

#88566 - 06/16/07 05:14 PM Re: E-Brake question
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
lol @ bryant...AGAIN!
#88567 - 06/16/07 06:43 PM Re: E-Brake question
Acefighter, thats the one

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#88568 - 06/17/07 02:51 AM Re: E-Brake question
Acefighter Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by 20gtp02:
Were you nervous? ROFL. For your experiement, I would say put it in Park and Put in the E-Brake as far down as you can put it. You don't want that car rolling away on you, _______ had this problem and his car went bye bye.
What are you getting at?

Let me put it this way: no lol If you are hinting at what I think you are, allow me to grimace and then hit you. wink

Yea, I remember the topic someone posted about losing their car to it rolling down their drive...that's partly why I'm worried (although I usually park in the street when I go to friend's houses).

Thanks for the write-up, Richard. Do you know if it would work the same on the front hubs?
#88569 - 06/17/07 01:40 PM Re: E-Brake question
no. Herc has a front-hub write up on his website. The fronts are just the disc brakes and hubs. There is no secondary system up there. Actually, dont let me lie to you: there is the ABS/Trac/TCS sensor. Otherwise, the hub replacement up front is REAL easy. What you will need up front is a 36mm air ratchet and a torque wrench that is capable of 92 FT/LBS (hub mounting bolts) and 136 ft/lbs (for the hub nut) and 150 ft/lbs (for the lug nuts). Dont forget the Loc-Tite.

DONT FORGET THE LOC-TITE!!!

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#88570 - 06/18/07 02:51 AM Re: E-Brake question
Acefighter Offline
Thanks. The reason I ask is I know I need a new hub because of the constant ABC/TCS lights. I'm just not sure which one. I think maybe both of them...lol
#88571 - 06/18/07 10:06 PM Re: E-Brake question
Acefighter Offline
Hey, little bit of an update (although it could be completely unrelated). I was out driving today, and at one point let off the brake to idle forwards. I started to move, then felt some rubbing slowing me down for a couple seconds, and then it went away and I could idle normally. I think I've noticed this rubbing before, but I've never been sure because it's always been when I press on the gas and it doesn't last long.

Brake related, wheel hub related, what?
#88572 - 06/18/07 10:28 PM Re: E-Brake question
My thought is brake related. Most likely warpage.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#88573 - 06/18/07 11:45 PM Re: E-Brake question
Acefighter Offline
Crap...well, I did want to upgrade to big *** brakes, maybe I should do that before I get performance mods. laugh