Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#88909 - 05/02/02 01:33 PM Engine Gods, please help
Edward De Iulio Offline
Loc: Fairfax Station VA
I have been battling this problem for weeks. Ever since the cam i have been getting a SES light (p0341-camshaft position sensor). I have had the sensor replaced, but still the light. Did the battery trick, it works for one trip.

What else could it be? Its either the PCM or the magnet the sensor reads from. I am going to get the DH pcm, but i don't want a band-aide fix. If there is a problem I want it fixed. Or will the pcm solve the problem?

Im so frustrated with the entire thing (and the shop ust be to--since i call all the time). Any help would be appreciated-- If someone needs to look at the car, I will travel (within reason).

ed confused
#88910 - 05/02/02 01:40 PM Re: Engine Gods, please help
MrQuija Offline
Loc: Derwood, MD
Ed,

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer directly? I have a feeling you have to live with the SES light because of your new cam.
#88911 - 05/02/02 01:46 PM Re: Engine Gods, please help
Edward De Iulio Offline
No I haven't... hadn't even thought about it. I know some people don't get the light (ross). I could care less about the light, but i think its hurting performance.

If im correct since the code is being thrown the car is guessing when it comes to fuel injection, so it could be using multi port, instead of what it should.

ed
#88912 - 05/02/02 01:48 PM Re: Engine Gods, please help
Shag Finger Offline
Loc: Born and raised in Baltimore, ...
OK I not all that positive here, but isnt there a ring on the cam that the sensor reads? Is it possible that the ring is not aligned right or defective in some way?
#88913 - 05/02/02 01:49 PM Re: Engine Gods, please help
Chew Offline
Loc: Washington, DC
Hey Ed,

I would have to agree with Quija, definitely talk to Comp or wherever you got the cam from.

BTW: I also just got word from my suspension guy ... and the coilovers are a go! So as soon as they are in (and installed) - I'll give you a holler. [Computer]

Chew

2007 Sly Silver Pontiac Solstice GXP
#88914 - 05/02/02 02:48 PM Re: Engine Gods, please help
crazyliver Offline
Loc: Canada
I'm confused. I have heard of a crankshaft position sensor, but not a camshaft one. I don't see any need for a camshaft one, because the cam and crank are connected by a timing chain. I would assume that they can get the camshaft position from the crankshaft position. Now, maybe you need a case learn if you removed or replaced the crankshaft position sensor. Correct me if I am wrong here.

Steve
#88915 - 05/02/02 03:52 PM Re: Engine Gods, please help
MrQuija Offline
Loc: Derwood, MD
Right, if you removed the crank position sensor, you need to get a CASE learn done. Is this the case?
#88916 - 05/02/02 06:34 PM Re: Engine Gods, please help
GPNetModerator Offline
Loc: www.grandprix.net
Quote:
Originally posted by MrQuija:
Right, if you removed the crank position sensor, you need to get a CASE learn done. Is this the case?
Yes, and also if you flash a PCM or put it into a different car.
#88917 - 05/02/02 07:02 PM Re: Engine Gods, please help
Edward De Iulio Offline
So do u think I need a case learn?

If both the crankshaft and camshaft sensors are on the same belt, and the cam sensor is pulled (or the code disabled) by a new PCM that would be okay? Just don't want band aid fix.

Quote:
OK I not all that positive here, but isnt there a ring on the cam that the sensor reads? Is it possible that the ring is not aligned right or defective in some way?
You are right.. I had the sensor replaced. Next step is to look at the magnet on the ring.

ed
#88918 - 05/03/02 01:16 PM Re: Engine Gods, please help
Ross St.Clair Offline
Loc: Gainesville, VA USA
Ed,

I believe your problem might be the magnet on the cam sprocket. Did your shop take the front cover off to get a look at everything? They should make sure everything is lined-up correctly under there (the dots on the sprockets and all that).

For those of you who are not sure what magnet we're talking about, here are some pictures:

Cam sprocket w/ magnet
Front of engine with cam sprocket installed

For the record, I have yet to get any cam-related SES lights. The only thing I'm dealing with right now is misfires, but I believe that's because of defective stock wires.
#88919 - 05/03/02 03:01 PM Re: Engine Gods, please help
Edward De Iulio Offline
Im taking the car in on Tuesday to get it looked at AGAIN. This time i will make sure they take it apart to look at thr magnet... they should have plenty of time since they are putting on headers as well.

Ross - Did u do a case learn?

ed
#88920 - 05/03/02 10:18 PM Re: Engine Gods, please help
Ross St.Clair Offline
Loc: Gainesville, VA USA
Ed,

I haven't gotten a CASE learn done yet. I'm trying to see if I can find a place to get it done cheap. I believe most dealers will charge you for an hour's worth of labor for the 5 minute procedure. I do plan on having it done, though.
#88921 - 05/03/02 10:42 PM Re: Engine Gods, please help
Edward De Iulio Offline
Im getting it done saturday going to cost 98 bucks.. first place wnated 130. Not to mention i had to explain to the first place what a case learn is.

The second place said, "oh, u want the computer reporgrammed". I said yes since its a stock computer... how would you tell them not to reprogram the entire thing if you had the HD pcm?

ed