Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#88933 - 10/20/10 10:58 AM Scary find this morning- injector issue
FordMan77 Offline
Loc: St. Louis
After finally getting my GP running again after the motor/trans swap, all seemed well. Been driving it for about a week now with no issues.

This morning as I was coming to work, I had to use defrost and was greeted w/ the smell of 87 octane gas. Great...

Stopped at a gas station close to work and popped the hood. Much to my horror I found the injector for #3 cylinder pooling gas up in my LIM, just sitting there boiling away.

I made it to work and shut it down. Have to go back out and soak up the gas and wipe it all down before I can determine what happened.

I assume that the top of the injector is leaking where it meets the rail as the top of the injector body was wet as well as the part of the rail where the injector sits. I just find it odd that after being dry for a week and having been replaced within the last month ( I replaced all the o-rings when I installed my last UIM) that it picks now to leak. I gave it a twist and pulled up on it at the same time at the gas station but haven't re-checked for leaks yet. Will have to have someone cycle the key 4 or 5 times to see if its still leaking.

How is it possible to get just one injector to leak like this? The only thing I can think of is that with all the removal/reinstall that it has endured over the last month that the top o-ring didn't quite seat in the rail for some reason.

Assuming it resealed and doesn't leak, should I just leave well enough alone, or should I go through the process of removing/replacing all the upper o-rings on ALL inectors? I really don't want to disturb all the others if I don't have to, but then again I don't want to burn my car/house to the ground because I was too lazy to replace 6 o-rings, lol...
#88934 - 10/20/10 11:13 AM Re: Scary find this morning- injector issue
ChrisGT Offline
Loc: Cranston, RI
Honestly I think it probably just didn't seat right.

Me personally its a couple bolts to take the rail off make sure the o-ring is tight on all of em.

Its your call bro.

04 GTO M6 | HE SS Clutch | Kooks LT's | SLP LM2 | K&N
Soon: APS TT kit wink

SOLD \/
01 GT | STr5 cam | PT-67 | 18-22psi

#88935 - 10/20/10 04:31 PM Re: Scary find this morning- injector issue
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisGT:

Me personally its a couple bolts to take the rail off make sure the o-ring is tight on all of em.
x2
#88936 - 10/20/10 06:16 PM Re: Scary find this morning- injector issue
20gtp02 Offline
It doesn't take much for those things to not be seated right.
Just had that issue installing my new 42#s, took 3 times to get one to seat right, mine is a PITA because some custom stuff going on by the s/c though.

#88937 - 10/21/10 01:39 PM Re: Scary find this morning- injector issue
FordMan77 Offline
Loc: St. Louis
Took it apart again and checked the o-rings. They looked fine w/ no cuts or whatnot so I just reassembled and tried again. Seems this time it's fine. Wierd how after driving for a week since the new motor went in that it just now decided to leak.

The only thing I can think of is that when I installed the new o-rings last time, that this one had a slight twist/roll in it and it finally flattened out pushing the injector down ever so slightly. Either way the extinguisher WILL be riding around w/ me for a while just to be sure.
#88938 - 10/21/10 02:44 PM Re: Scary find this morning- injector issue
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Glad to hear you caught the problem in time, and avoided an engine fire. I always keep a fire extinguisher in both of my cars, just in case.
Keep a close eye on those nylon fuel lines as well, as they can get pinholes in them..happened to me.