Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#90762 - 10/17/05 03:52 PM zzp tranny update
4rsssfed_grandprix98 Offline
Loc: South Bend
So I picked the car up friday night and it felt like a whole new automobile. When I first started it up and put it in revers the shifter was very stiff, and had that "brand new" feeling too it. I drove it really light down fulton, and up lane st. to 196. The whole way it was shifting really hard into gear. Not banging or anything, just grabing very quickly. They said it would do this for about 2-3 hundred miles. Got onto 196 and didnt get into it at all, I felt like a grandparent. I drove for about 100 miles and I stopped to get some gas and something to eat. After I was done filling up I got back on the highway and an I got into it a little bit on the on ramp. I was right around 50mph when I mashed it and it was in second so no downshift, just a little bit more pull that I am used to. I thought, ok, no big deal, so as I'm driving along at about 65mph I decide to mash it once just to see how it felt. I reached up and grabbed the steering wheel with both hands at 10 and 2 and then as fast as I could jammed the gas pedal all the way to the floor. In the next 2 seconds the car sounded almost as if it took a short but very deep breath and then exhaled the loudest scream I have ever heard from it. When the car downshifted into 2nd it grabbed so hard that my head literally hit my head rest, and as soon as my blurred vision cleard up I felt each corner of my mouth nearing my ear lobes. I promised myself I would only beat on it that once until I had it broken in, and about 5 more pulls and 2 races later, its finally all the way broke in with around 650 miles on it.

I love everything about the tranny, especially the gears. Now that its broken in it shifts just as a stock tranny would with perf. shift disengaged, with the exception of a noticably harder downshift into first all of the time, which is expected from a built transmission. With perf. shift engaged it shifts like a beast, and literally slams every gear. I pretty much lose traction all the way up to about 40 if I punch it and it downshifts really hard into first. Its not by anymeans I complete lost of traction, but it will definately break them loose. All in all I say that every penny spent was worth it and I would highly recomend this tranny.

VS Cam,CompCams lifters,ZZPpushrods,Rollmaster double,4"intake,PLog headers,3"exhaust,IntensePCM,3.3"mps,ZZPHDTrans,3.29gears,2500 stall,GMPP adjustable suspension,TB spacer,160*tstat
#90763 - 10/17/05 04:07 PM Re: zzp tranny update
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Cool beans. Glad to see your enjoying it.
#90764 - 10/17/05 05:01 PM Re: zzp tranny update
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
That's great news! cheers
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#90765 - 10/17/05 05:53 PM Re: zzp tranny update
bryanp Offline
Loc: Omaha
Quote:
Originally posted by 4rsssfed_grandprix98:
So I picked the car up friday night and it felt like a whole new automobile. When I first started it up and put it in revers the shifter was very stiff, and had that "brand new" feeling too it. I drove it really light down fulton, and up lane st. to 196. The whole way it was shifting really hard into gear. Not banging or anything, just grabing very quickly. They said it would do this for about 2-3 hundred miles. Got onto 196 and didnt get into it at all, I felt like a grandparent. I drove for about 100 miles and I stopped to get some gas and something to eat. After I was done filling up I got back on the highway and an I got into it a little bit on the on ramp. I was right around 50mph when I mashed it and it was in second so no downshift, just a little bit more pull that I am used to. I thought, ok, no big deal, so as I'm driving along at about 65mph I decide to mash it once just to see how it felt. I reached up and grabbed the steering wheel with both hands at 10 and 2 and then as fast as I could jammed the gas pedal all the way to the floor. In the next 2 seconds the car sounded almost as if it took a short but very deep breath and then exhaled the loudest scream I have ever heard from it. When the car downshifted into 2nd it grabbed so hard that my head literally hit my head rest, and as soon as my blurred vision cleard up I felt each corner of my mouth nearing my ear lobes. I promised myself I would only beat on it that once until I had it broken in, and about 5 more pulls and 2 races later, its finally all the way broke in with around 650 miles on it.

I love everything about the tranny, especially the gears. Now that its broken in it shifts just as a stock tranny would with perf. shift disengaged, with the exception of a noticably harder downshift into first all of the time, which is expected from a built transmission. With perf. shift engaged it shifts like a beast, and literally slams every gear. I pretty much lose traction all the way up to about 40 if I punch it and it downshifts really hard into first. Its not by anymeans I complete lost of traction, but it will definately break them loose. All in all I say that every penny spent was worth it and I would highly recomend this tranny.
God I hate you. cheers

Total cost? How was ZZP as a business, in person? How long was your car out of your hands for?

Thanks. And sweet jesus man, go stomp some stangs. Have fun.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/684818
#90766 - 10/17/05 06:06 PM Re: zzp tranny update
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
Get to the track.
#90767 - 10/17/05 08:28 PM Re: zzp tranny update
2fast4u Offline
Loc: Livonia, MI
thats sweet, what was involved, was it just a stock tranny or did you buy other stuff with it?

Mods: 11.87@115 strictly stock
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/98-GTP-burnout_207724.htm
#90768 - 10/18/05 04:20 PM Re: zzp tranny update
The total cost when everything was said and done was round $3250. this included

HD Rebuild
245mm Torque
Larger Flexplate
2500 Stall
Single Chain
3.29 Gears
ZZP Input Shaft
Reluctor Gear (speedo Calibrator)

ZZP as a company was great. I dropped my car of around 10:00pm on a Wednesday and it was ready Friday before noon. They did slip up a little and forget to call me to tell me my diff was shot, but they rebuilt it and saved my case and it only cost me an extra $250 and it was already replaced when they told me so I wasnt to upset about that...

Oh, and I got to rape a 99-03 GT Stang on the highway on my way home, it was Greeeeeeaaaaaat!

VS Cam,CompCams lifters,ZZPpushrods,Rollmaster double,4"intake,PLog headers,3"exhaust,IntensePCM,3.3"mps,ZZPHDTrans,3.29gears,2500 stall,GMPP adjustable suspension,TB spacer,160*tstat
#90769 - 10/19/05 10:05 AM Re: zzp tranny update
parablazer Offline
Loc: Texas
Damn that sounds like a nice tranny to me.
#90770 - 10/19/05 04:36 PM Re: zzp tranny update
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
I'm curious how the MPG is with that 3.29 gear.
#90771 - 10/19/05 04:46 PM Re: zzp tranny update
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
I'm curious how the MPG is with that 3.29 gear.
it actually has gone up since I had it installed, its not too bad, and my final drive gear is pretty much the same (if not exactly). I do mostly highway driving so I guess I dont really see a big difference from the shorter gears

#90772 - 10/19/05 05:59 PM Re: zzp tranny update
bryanp Offline
Loc: Omaha
Quote:
Quote:
[b] I'm curious how the MPG is with that 3.29 gear.
it actually has gone up since I had it installed, its not too bad, and my final drive gear is pretty much the same (if not exactly). I do mostly highway driving so I guess I dont really see a big difference from the shorter gears [/b]
Yeah right. I'll bet you're smashin' it on those on ramps. hammer

Just for curiousitys (curiousities?) sake, did you do this because your old tranny blew or just felt sooner the better?

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/684818
#90773 - 10/19/05 10:59 PM Re: zzp tranny update
Evolution Offline
Loc: Southington CT
I just bought a shift kit, hopefully my transmission with new fluid and the stiffer springs will shift like yours does =). Except that I paid 90$+shipping, woo.

'97 GTP
Devils Own Progressive Alcohol Injection, TB Spacer, MSD Ignition, TR55s, IPCM, 2.5" Exhaust (no cat) with Borla Muffs, FWI, 2 Pod A-Pillar, 3.4", 160* T-Stat, PowerSlots,
#90774 - 10/20/05 03:54 PM Re: zzp tranny update
Quote:
Originally posted by bryanp:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b] I'm curious how the MPG is with that 3.29 gear.
it actually has gone up since I had it installed, its not too bad, and my final drive gear is pretty much the same (if not exactly). I do mostly highway driving so I guess I dont really see a big difference from the shorter gears [/b]
Yeah right. I'll bet you're smashin' it on those on ramps. hammer

Just for curiousitys (curiousities?) sake, did you do this because your old tranny blew or just felt sooner the better? [/b]
I mostly replaced the tranny because my next mod is going to be a cam, and then intercooler, I figured with those two mods alone I would be making enough HP to blow my tranny to bits, not to mention it had about 130,000 on it when I took it in. As I found out though my diff was shot so I dont think it would have held up too much longer

Quote:
Originally posted by Evolution:
I just bought a shift kit, hopefully my transmission with new fluid and the stiffer springs will shift like yours does =). Except that I paid 90$+shipping, woo.
Somehow I dont think it will shift quite like mine does, or last nearly as long... just a hung though