Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#90944 - 07/23/05 10:17 AM 100k Maintenance
BonnevilleLover Offline
Loc: Kuwait/Iraq
Ok everyone,

I'd like to get some input.

Trish has a GTP as you all know and it is going to hit 100k soon. She and I will be deciding what needs to be done. So far we have this list:

1) Change oil & filter - converting to synthetic
2) Change supercharger oil
3) Change fuel filter
4) Change plugs
5) Change plug wires
6) Change tranny oil & filter

Any other things we should do? Can anyone recommend brands for the wires, plugs, and fuel filter?

Thanks Everyone! thumbsup
#90945 - 07/23/05 10:29 AM Re: 100k Maintenance
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Plugs and wires OEM. Filter anything but Fram.
#90946 - 07/23/05 11:10 AM Re: 100k Maintenance
bryanp Offline
Loc: Omaha
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
Plugs and wires OEM. Filter anything but Fram.
What do you got against Fram?

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/684818
#90947 - 07/23/05 11:44 AM Re: 100k Maintenance
ReDgie the WeDgie Offline
Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada
Since the sale of the parent company , Fram filters have suffered in overall quality. Once an industry leader the company has been criticised for the use of second rate filter mediums. KN now offers high medium filtration mediums in their oil filters. Many other companies also offer high performance filters, FRAM still exceeds OEM requirements but seem to have lost their edge. Just an opinion offered by my mechanic.
#90948 - 07/23/05 01:13 PM Re: 100k Maintenance
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Wouldn't hurt to change the front O2 sensor while you're going to be back there changing the plugs.
I'm starting to get a bad lag when I first take off. I'm sure it's due to an original front O2 sensor.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#90949 - 07/23/05 01:32 PM Re: 100k Maintenance
Stock97GTP Offline
Loc: Michigan
It's true. If you go to any of the web pages devoted to engine motor oil and filters, none of them like the orange Frams. I recommend that you check it out for yourself. Google it.
#90950 - 07/23/05 03:44 PM Re: 100k Maintenance
GillysGTPSS Offline
Loc: Gananoque, ON, Canada
notontopic I have run synthetic oil in previous cars, and I know everyone says itis better, but what is the real advantage at running that over regular oil?

CAI, Flowmaster 40s, Magnaflow cat, u-bend delete, Eibach springs, 16" American Racing rims way more to come
#90951 - 07/24/05 05:24 AM Re: 100k Maintenance
BonnevilleLover Offline
Loc: Kuwait/Iraq
you know... I heard it doesnt break down like the regualar oil. Any input from the ones "in the know"?
#90952 - 07/24/05 10:38 AM Re: 100k Maintenance
JPGTP Offline
Loc: Colorado Springs
I didn't know fram oil filters were bad. Been using them since I bought the car in 2002....
#90953 - 07/24/05 11:55 AM Re: 100k Maintenance
fire90bird Offline
Loc: Wisconsin
I'd replace the PCV valve too, and instead of just changing the tranny fluid I would take it in and have it flushed. Synthetic oil doesn't break down as fast but you have to remember it still gets dirty.. I've never liked the idea so stuck with regular.
#90954 - 07/25/05 11:29 AM Re: 100k Maintenance
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
I don’t like FRAM filters solely based on oil filter studies.

Here is an example of one. Its hard to find a legitimate one as many are sponsored by the companies. Amsoil is a perfect example.
http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilters.html#recommended

Here is the more detailed version written by the same person but just mirrored.
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#90955 - 07/25/05 11:47 PM Re: 100k Maintenance
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
my family has been using FRAM filters n all their cars for as long as I can remember, and we have never once had an engine problem due to poor filtration of anything. I don't understand that they have 96% thumbsup thumbsup single pass efficieny and yet everybody says that they suck frown , and they are the worst brand to use? exactly why is that? confused confused
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
#90956 - 07/26/05 02:14 AM Re: 100k Maintenance
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
Its just there are better ones out there. An engine can last a long time with a bad filter. It will just get dirty and slugish. But it can last a VERY long time with a better one. They were good at one time.

Quote:
I don't understand that they have 96% [Thumbs Up!] [Thumbs Up!] single pass efficieny and yet everybody says that they suck [Frown] , and they are the worst brand to use? exactly why is that? [Confused] [Confused]
The "96% single pass efficiency" saying is from FRAM itself. Do they show what independent study they got it from? No. Its just some figure from marketing.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#90957 - 07/26/05 03:43 AM Re: 100k Maintenance
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
I'm no lawyer, but if a company states that their product does something to a certain extent, and publishes it on their product then if it isn't true, and it is proven to be not true, isn't that just asking for a major lawsuit for false advertising? I'm not saying that the tests are wrong, or that Fram is the best, just trying to understand the logic based on the tests and the fram box. (I am aware that companies use "marketing ploys" to help sell the product, but everybody is guilty of that) I'm not partial to fram, just have always used it since I started driving and have never had a problem one, and my cars have never seen any major "sluggish-ness" even with well over 150k miles on them.

Like I said I am not trying to start anything, nor am I saying that one is better than the other, just kinda got me stumped on this whole issue, looking at the numbers
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
#90958 - 07/26/05 04:15 AM Re: 100k Maintenance
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I can tell you from experience...the company I work for now used to be AlliedSignal and they were the parent company that owned Fram. The plant I work at used to make some of the materials that went into their filter media. A few years ago AlliedSignal merged with Honeywell International. Since that time Honeywell has made no secret of their intent to sell off anything in the chemical or specialty materials industries. Bendix brakes went on the chop block a long time ago and if Fram is still part of that division then it is being run with limited resources, which always hurts the quality of the product produced. When virtually everything is sacrificed for the almighty profit then things arent going to get better. They are probably still producing filters the same way they did 10-15 years ago...which was a frontrunner back then, but I'm thinking better technology has passed them by.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >