Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#91183 - 07/27/05 03:05 PM benefit of higher idle speed?
seveland Offline
Loc: PA
sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm looking to order a PCM from intense and one of the options it has for an additional $10 is to increase the idle speed by 100. What would that do for me?
#91184 - 07/27/05 03:32 PM Re: benefit of higher idle speed?
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
I'm just guessing here, so someone will have to correct me:

I would think a higher idle speed gives you a speed advantage because you'd be launching in a higher RPM than normal.

The downside is that the higher idle speed would consume slightly more gas.

I would think the downside is negligible, but I don't know if the advantage is substantial.
#91185 - 07/27/05 04:34 PM Re: benefit of higher idle speed?
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by UMfan:

I would think a higher idle speed gives you a speed advantage because you'd be launching in a higher RPM than normal.

You shouldn't be at idle when getting ready. You should be around 2k rpm negating the increased idle speed.

I think it's more for those with a more aggresive cam grind and they need the rpm to keep enough vacuum for the power brakes.
#91186 - 07/27/05 05:26 PM Re: benefit of higher idle speed?
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
Quote:
Originally posted by UMfan:
[b]

You shouldn't be at idle when getting ready. You should be around 2k rpm negating the increased idle speed.

I think it's more for those with a more aggresive cam grind and they need the rpm to keep enough vacuum for the power brakes. [/b]
Yup. Helps a little with winter starts too.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#91187 - 07/29/05 09:47 PM Re: benefit of higher idle speed?
KungFuFighter Offline
Loc: Baltimore, Maryland
you can stay still on a bigger incline without using the brakes!!! yay! lol... I have no idea why someone would want this option, unless its what herc suggested.

Clear Corners, Silver Star turning lights, Silver Star headlights, Diamond Series foglights, Megan Racing muffler, Interior pulseing blue lights, Borla MPG mod. Much more to come.