Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#91366 - 02/13/07 12:22 AM ZZP PCM and addition questions about Modding
Jon Szarka Offline
Loc: Philly
Hello all,
I am trying to update my PCM to a ZZP PCM. Its only 80 dollars and I was wondering if you all could help me out. I am driving a 97 GT with stock everything. I’m looking to get a U-bend delete ASAP and a CAI but I am completely stuck on the CAI because there are a millions options for me to go. Right now the ZZP PCM sounds good but I figured I would run it by you guys and see your thoughts about it considering half of you have it. I read into the PCM and it sounds great. Most of all I am looking forward to the limiter coming off, as immature as that sounds. On a side note, if I get a U-bend delete and a CAI, will I need to reprogram my PCM? I may sound retarded but stick with me as I am not completely mechanically/Electronically knowledgeable with these motors. Here is the site to ZZP’s PCM.

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=182&catid=107

The next thing (after the PCM) I was thinking of upgrading on my car was a 3” DP along with the U-bend delete. Or should I just get a CAI. Also, another thing I noticed was that several people had PRJ wires and aftermarket plugs. My understanding was that the stock wires were the best, but I am pretty sure I am wrong there. And I want to do the plugs but I never looked around to see how difficult it was to access them. Will upgrading my plugs and wires really add some responsive performance or am I looking at reliability here.

I am sorry about all of the questions about this stuff but I swear to god that I cannot stop working on this car. I love it and I love watching me turn it into something it never was. I just want to know everything I possibly can know about this car and I can tell you that I don’t know much. But that is why I am asking you knowledgeable people here. Thanks for everything guys. -Jon
#91367 - 02/13/07 12:30 AM Re: ZZP PCM and addition questions about Modding
brown Offline
Loc: Belleville, MI
I thought about getting a performance PCM but I didnt want to have to pay for premium gas. Stupid reason, but I'm cheap like that. lol.

You shouldnt have to reprogram a PCM for a u-bent delete and CAI. Most people are running those with a stock PCM anyways.
#91368 - 02/13/07 12:40 AM Re: ZZP PCM and addition questions about Modding
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
i am like you i LOVE TO WORK ON MY GRAND PRIX they are great cars but i am going to get a new pcm but yes the one down fall is that you need 91 gas but you get diffrent shift points and yes the speed limiter removed .... now about the u bend deleat i wouldnt get it if you plan on getting a down pipe because once you get the down pipe they remove the ubend "i think" or that is my understanding i am pretty shure. and i have a thread saying "what do you think about his FWI" it talks about a cold air intake i was thinking about buying an intake kit but after listening to people i think that i am going to make my own intake but just take a look at the thread just let me know if you have any other questions thanks
#91369 - 02/13/07 07:22 AM Re: ZZP PCM and addition questions about Modding
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Ok

Get the PCM you won't have to worry about reprogramming until you start messin with the cam and such.

Ubend delete vs 3" DP. Personally I'd go with the DP because it comes with the whole kit and kaboodle for a decent price. But if you want gains now and your wallet can't afford the DP then by all means go cheap and get the Ubend delete. I've blown $60 on stuff more trivial.

As for a CAI build your own. With a little skill and patience you can build one that looks as good as any kits that are available.
#91370 - 02/13/07 08:16 AM Re: ZZP PCM and addition questions about Modding
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Stock wires are the best you can buy.
I had a set of MSD's and they only lasted about 9 months. I went back to AC Delco's and everything has been fine since.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#91371 - 02/13/07 10:20 AM Re: ZZP PCM and addition questions about Modding
D Offline
Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Go with the ZZP PCM, as for the D/P just save your money and go right to the D/P only becasue there is no need to spend money on a u-bend del. then spend money on the D/P. JUst save up and go for the D/P. The stock wires are great, no need to change them. The Plugs go with AL104s only because the 103s run to cold. The CAI If you are going to get a PCM and a D/P from ZZP call them and order it an when you are ordering it ask them about there FWI its basically there $10.50 intake tubeing and a K&N airfilter its only like $50 ,cheaper then what you can make it for and less the hassle.

1997 Grand Prix GT: ZZP SS M90 Kit--P&P Blower and LIM--3.8" Modular pulley--36# injectors--ZZP Wizair CAI--8.5mm MSD Wires--Autolite 103s@ .052--180* drilled T-stat--Tune Time Performance Tune--ZZP 2.5" D/P w/o Cat--ZZP Stage 1 HV TB--ZZP Power Log & Rear PEM--ZZP Poly Motor & Tranny Mounts--Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow Mufflers--Auto Meter Z Series Boost & Oil Pressure Gauges--Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge

New York Metro Club Grand Prix
www.nymcgp.com
#91372 - 02/13/07 09:48 PM Re: ZZP PCM and addition questions about Modding
Jon Szarka Offline
Ok so what i got out of you guys is that I should get the ZZP pcm and that it requiors 91 octane gas? Do i really have to get 91 octane? I didnt know reprogramming a PCM entailed that. Well i dont care ill do it. And next on the list, jsut go for the 3" DP, and build a CAI myself if i get the time. Thats what i will do if i have the time. Now i want to get the ZZP pcm but there are some options i am confused about on the web page so if someone could help me out that would be great. And thanks again for all of your help.
#91373 - 02/13/07 10:32 PM Re: ZZP PCM and addition questions about Modding
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Reprogrammed PCM's require a minimum of 91 octane.
I use 93 octane.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#91374 - 02/13/07 10:34 PM Re: ZZP PCM and addition questions about Modding
20gtp02 Offline
What are yo confused about? I was greatly confused too, but I got a ZZP PCM few months ago. Figured out the confusion and the crazy confusion installing it, was actual simpler than I made it out to be. Ask away...

#91375 - 02/13/07 10:38 PM Re: ZZP PCM and addition questions about Modding
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Yes, you need to run at least 91 octane. I use 93 octane.

Get the entire 3"DP and u-bend at the same time.

And as everyone has said, make your own CAI. If you arent inclined mechanically then buy one. I have the thrasher and love it
#91376 - 02/13/07 10:50 PM Re: ZZP PCM and addition questions about Modding
D Offline
Loc: Brooklyn, NY
If you don't use 91+ octane you will get knock trust me I found out the hard way.

1997 Grand Prix GT: ZZP SS M90 Kit--P&P Blower and LIM--3.8" Modular pulley--36# injectors--ZZP Wizair CAI--8.5mm MSD Wires--Autolite 103s@ .052--180* drilled T-stat--Tune Time Performance Tune--ZZP 2.5" D/P w/o Cat--ZZP Stage 1 HV TB--ZZP Power Log & Rear PEM--ZZP Poly Motor & Tranny Mounts--Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow Mufflers--Auto Meter Z Series Boost & Oil Pressure Gauges--Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge

New York Metro Club Grand Prix
www.nymcgp.com
#91377 - 02/14/07 08:27 AM Re: ZZP PCM and addition questions about Modding
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Besides your only spending about $3 more for a full tank when using 91 over 87 so go for it.
#91378 - 02/14/07 02:34 PM Re: ZZP PCM and addition questions about Modding
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
yep, the PCM is worth every penny in extra gasoline costs. but i would say do all three, CAI, D/P, and PCM.

Oh yea and PRJ wires are not needed for daily driving. Sure they are great wires but they are big time overkill for most people.

'97 SE with alot of mods
#91379 - 02/14/07 04:04 PM Re: ZZP PCM and addition questions about Modding
Jon Szarka Offline
You guys are awesome, you all solved all of my questions and concerns with what i need to do. Now all i need to do is go for the kill and buy it all, ill let you all know how it goes. Thanks again! -Jon
#91380 - 02/14/07 09:07 PM Re: ZZP PCM and addition questions about Modding
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Szarka:
You guys are awesome, you all solved all of my questions and concerns with what i need to do. Now all i need to do is go for the kill and buy it all, ill let you all know how it goes. Thanks again! -Jon
its what we do best!