Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#91646 - 02/19/08 08:04 PM Re: Dexron IV over III?
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
A shift kit will also save your clutches. its a pick your poison thing.
#91647 - 02/20/08 11:11 AM Re: Dexron IV over III?
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
Quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Chevman, that's not true with our cars. We change 2/3 of the fluid in a pan drop. These trannies hold around 12 total, and 8 flow out with a simple pan drop. It's not like the old Turbo 350s that only lose 4 quarts with a filter change.

Shift kits extend clutch pack life, they short driveline components: axles, input/output shaft, etc. I think anyone with a stock L67 to L36 would benefit. It's when you start working on modded cars and a stock tranny that you'll break things.

The question is, which kit? I know how the spacers work by suddenly stopping the accumulators movement and engaging the gear. But what are we missing not using the kits with springs like the TransGo kit?
well, Rook, actually it's more like 75-80% pours out on a pan drop, cause it takes 10 qts to top it off when you do a filter change. (learned that the hard way) I am running 100% Dexron VI in my tranny now and couldn't be happier. shifts are a little smoother and it isn't near as sluggish when I first put it into drive after sitting when it's cold. I would reccomend switching to VI cause once the III is off the shelves, that's all that will be available (pretty pointless to carry something that won't work in every AT that GM makes since VI is reverse compatable)
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
#91648 - 02/20/08 12:02 PM Re: Dexron IV over III?
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
10 quarts is way too much to put back into the transmission. it should be 8 for a simple pan drop.
#91649 - 02/20/08 02:17 PM Re: Dexron IV over III?
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Quote:
Originally posted by Dementeddj:
pretty pointless to carry something that won't work in every AT that GM makes since VI is reverse compatable
Define pointless. Dex/Merc mix is cheaper than Dex VI or Merc V, it can be used interchangeably between most Fords and GM products. Why would you get rid of one product that is cheap and can cover so many vehicles for a more expensive product with limited applications?

There is a reason all the tranny fluid manufacturers changed their labels and are still selling the Dex/Merc fluid despite GM and Ford ending their licensing contracts.

Also, the reason you notice less sluggishness in cold is because it's thinner and synthetic.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2