Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92150 - 06/30/05 12:09 AM aux tranny cooler beneficial? Also, supercharger belt lost entire column of grips...
bryanp Offline
Loc: Omaha
First of all, is it worth it to get the aux tranny cooler from pfyc.com? Or is the other cooler, that looks more like a radiator better?

Also, when I was changing my spark plugs, I noticed my supercharger belt was missing an entire column of grips. Its a gatorback, and its on a quick change 3.4" pulley.

What could that problem be?

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/684818
#92151 - 06/30/05 12:59 AM Re: aux tranny cooler beneficial? Also, supercharger belt lost entire column of grips...
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
man, you have the longest thread subjects EVER.

i've heard tranny coolers are not worth their risk. check out the transmission coolers section of this tech article from ZZP:
http://www.zzperformance.com/articles1.php?id=23

that article definetly steers me away from them.

bill
#92152 - 06/30/05 02:56 AM Re: aux tranny cooler beneficial? Also, supercharger belt lost entire column of grips...
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Quote:
Originally posted by bryanp:
First of all, is it worth it to get the aux tranny cooler from pfyc.com? Or is the other cooler, that looks more like a radiator better?

Also, when I was changing my spark plugs, I noticed my supercharger belt was missing an entire column of grips. Its a gatorback, and its on a quick change 3.4" pulley.

What could that problem be?
Hello,

Tranny coolers are good if you are abusing your tranny. If you think your overheating your transmission, you should install a cooler.

I had a used gatorback do the same thing to me. I lost a whole groove. I replaced the belt with a new one. The new belt has several thousand miles on it with no signs of wear. The only thing I can come up with is the fact that it was used. Maybe I put it on backwards, or maybe it just found a groove on my buddies car, that wasn't there on my car.

Later now,
Clint

http://pdxcgp.com
#92153 - 06/30/05 05:34 AM Re: aux tranny cooler beneficial? Also, supercharger belt lost entire column of grips...
Dementeddj Offline
Loc: Kansas (Redneck Country)
it seems like everybody has a different opinion on the cooler issue... I agree with crimpton, and herc from a while back when he said if you are frequently putting abnormal strain on the tranny, then a cooler is probably a good idea... just make sure that everything is installed to the exact specs (tq, etc) I am having a reputable shop put mine in, so that way if something happens, I can know that it wasn't my fault due to under/over torque of connections, etc. just my thoughts on everything
98 GTP GMPP handling kit, HomemadeFWI, MSD coils, Taylor wires, 180 drilled tstat, TR6IX plugs, Intense STD PCM, JimmyC DP, Thrasher shift kit (mild setting), AGX/Intrigue spring setup, drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Hopefully more to come
#92154 - 06/30/05 06:21 AM Re: aux tranny cooler beneficial? Also, supercharger belt lost entire column of grips...
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Normal every day driving and the occasional track use a tranny cooler is a waste of money. Use your money on other mods. As for the belt you might want to check the alignment of your pulleys.
#92155 - 06/30/05 08:38 AM Re: aux tranny cooler beneficial? Also, supercharger belt lost entire column of grips...
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
It'll be a good time to check your idler and tensioner pulleys too. Make sure they're spinning smooth.
I'm still pissed about shredding my perfectly good G-back. banghead

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#92156 - 06/30/05 10:19 AM Re: aux tranny cooler beneficial? Also, supercharger belt lost entire column of grips...
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
i'd definetly take intense's advice

Quote:
We have dissected more of these trannies than anyone else in the performance after-market, and we have yet to see a single heat-related failure. Hard parts break in these trannies, and these failures will not be prevented by a tranny cooler.
#92157 - 06/30/05 10:39 AM Re: aux tranny cooler beneficial? Also, supercharger belt lost entire column of grips...
snowcrash Offline
Loc: charlotte, nc
i'd probably look at replacing the belt in the near future. at least buy one and throw it in the trunk with a wrench to take the pressure off the pulley to put the new one on if you ever need to.
dhp 1.0
#92158 - 06/30/05 10:42 AM Re: aux tranny cooler beneficial? Also, supercharger belt lost entire column of grips...
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
quote:
Originally posted by Austin G T P:
I'm still pissed about shredding my perfectly good G-back. devilgrin
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#92159 - 06/30/05 04:25 PM Re: aux tranny cooler beneficial? Also, supercharger belt lost entire column of grips...
bryanp Offline
Loc: Omaha
Quote:
Originally posted by zuulmusic:
man, you have the longest thread subjects EVER.
laugh I just looked at all my posts on the main page, and sure enough. Any that extend beyond half the screen are mine. square

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/684818