Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92613 - 03/25/04 11:31 AM 1997 Grnad Prix running hot
bronco sport Offline
Loc: Portland, Or
I have replaced the water pump, thermostat 195, and had the rad tanked. It runs normal around town, but in heavy stop and go it gets very close to the red. I even changed the temp sending unit. My question is, no the fans turn on from the sending unit or is there a seperate sending unit for them? They do turn on but seem to turn on to late on do not seem to run very fast. Any help on this would be great. I'm about ready to replace the water pump again and give that a try before I just take the thing into Pontiac. The anitifreeze also in normal and has nver had anything in it except the red stuff.

Thanks! banghead
#92614 - 03/25/04 11:44 AM Re: 1997 Grnad Prix running hot
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
Your fan work? Sounds like when the car is moving, the air flow cools it down, but it heats back up when that goes away. That's all I can think of right now.
#92615 - 03/25/04 11:47 AM Re: 1997 Grnad Prix running hot
bronco sport Offline
Could it be the temp control module? The fans do work as I said before but seem to come on too late.
#92616 - 03/25/04 12:40 PM Re: 1997 Grnad Prix running hot
Adam S. Offline
Loc: Milwaukee, Wi
What are you using to check your engine's temperature. If you're using the gage on the dash, it's possible that it could be off. They aren't always totally accurate. I would check the temperature of the engine right at the engine itself; or look at the live data to see what the computer is seeing. Also, have you maintained your antifreeze? DEXCOOL vehicles are more prone to the coolant getting thick, and possibly plugging passages. Even though it hasn't been a huge problem for the 3.8L's, it may be something to check into. If you do, remember to have the system flushed completely, and not just changed. Also, at what temperature do the fans turn on?
#92617 - 03/25/04 12:44 PM Re: 1997 Grnad Prix running hot
Marc Harbison Offline
Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
I don't have anything else to offer that hasn't already been suggested... other than asking about the airdam. Is it in place? Is it dangling or flopping around? It needs to be there in order to direct air up to the radiator.

One day, after not being able to avoid a retread tire in the road, my airdam was knocked around to the point where it wasn't directing air up to my radiator. I got off at the next exit 2 miles down the interstate (I40 in Greensboro, NC... late June timeframe), but my water temp climbed very quickly toward the red. It might have gone higher had I not pulled over. I ended up jury-rigging back in place with some bailing wire. Got back on the road and temps went back down to normal.

Good luck,
Marc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RIP '97 GTP w/ 192K miles - Totaled when broadsided
#92618 - 03/25/04 12:44 PM Re: 1997 Grnad Prix running hot
bronco sport Offline
I have had the coolant completly flushed and replaced with Dexcool. It really never got thick, but it did get a little goopy on the rad cap. The fans do come on around 180 and then on and off after that.
#92619 - 03/25/04 12:46 PM Re: 1997 Grnad Prix running hot
bronco sport Offline
Also when it get's hot I can smell it, that's it's very hot. The air dam is in place and it only gets hot sitting in traffic or climbing a hill.
#92620 - 03/25/04 03:44 PM Re: 1997 Grnad Prix running hot
why2kmax Offline
Loc: Bel Air Maryland
speaking of temps, I installed a 180 thermo and finally got to run LS1M on it. Though the temp gauge is reading about 2 notches lower, On the highway at about 75mph on a 50-60 deg day I was running about 190-200 deg and around town stop and go about 205-210 deg. Is that normal? I dont know what it was Before the thermo change so I have little to compare it to.
#92621 - 04/22/05 02:17 PM Re: 1997 Grnad Prix running hot
neeps Offline
Loc: CT
I've got a 98 GT and have the same engine temp problem as bronco sport. I got my car new and it ran rock steady at 180-185 for a few years then all of a sudden the temp needle goes up and down like an elevator. changed the t-sat and had a flush and fill, nothing. have a water pump ready to go for the next try.

If I'm not moving I have to turn on the ac to get the fans running and sometimes it keeps the temp down, sometimes not. I also can smell it when it starts "cooking". doesn't matter what temp it is outside for this to happen.

I'm very interested to see if you find or have found the problem bronco.
#92622 - 04/22/05 02:24 PM Re: 1997 Grnad Prix running hot
GtCombination Offline
Loc: New York
I ran into that problem with my 97 gt a couple of times, flush fill thermo etc on and on.I hate Dex. At last i had enough and switched over to a new electric fan/rad. That solved my problem. For the extra step i even lept to an electric pump. what a difference..

" A true REAL mod takes longer than 1 hour to install"
" Dont like it then smile like a donut "
#92623 - 04/22/05 02:56 PM Re: 1997 Grnad Prix running hot
neeps Offline
Loc: CT
thanks for the quick reply gtcombo...can you give me a little more info on the elec. fan/rad? manufacturer, model, etc. and electric pump while your at it...thanks!
#92624 - 04/22/05 03:52 PM Re: 1997 Grnad Prix running hot
GtCombination Offline
Let me scronge along my records and i'll see what i cn pull up. I know i got my radiator from RadiatorBarn.com and it was really cheap, but any thing works for that. I'll post when i find everything. Must hit up the bar real quick, my day needs some pep.

#92625 - 04/22/05 04:05 PM Re: 1997 Grnad Prix running hot
GtCombination Offline
The pump im using is a billet MEZIERE electric water pump w/reserve. built in expansion tank, usuable as fill point and air separator, eliminating air locking/cavitation. Designed for the 3.8 and can handle up to 500hp. flow of 35 gpm. runs about $280-$290. i cant find any information on my rad though. But im running a 27" electric puller fan by Flex-a-lite. Twin 13 1/2" fans fulling 4600cfm with a max draw of 28 amp. Built in variable speed control with adjustable thermostat, a/c realy and manual switch connection. Came with universal mounting bracket and simple as hell. Though its over kill but perfect for advancement. Ran about $369. There are excelent selections from Flexalite if you want something smaller, and cheaper.

#92626 - 04/22/05 04:27 PM Re: 1997 Grnad Prix running hot
bronco sport Offline
So here the deal with my cars problem. I replaced the following below
-Water pump
-Temp sending unit (Napa)
-Thermostat
-Flushed the system
-Pulled radiator and had it rodded out and cleaned

This all still did not fix the problem. I then took it to Pontiac and they tested everything. The temp test they did said the car was running at normal temp. (180-185). So it was either the gauge or the temp sending unit. they also said that I needed to buy a Pontiac sending unit and that the ones after market are junk. So I bought the sending unit, put it in and it has been fine every since. Crazy!!!

Good luck to the reast of you! I still think the Dexcool coolant is junk too!!!

Bronco Sport
#92627 - 04/22/05 08:47 PM Re: 1997 Grnad Prix running hot
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
When it comes to sensors it's usually best to get OEM.

Here's a good way to ensure your fan comes on

http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.mv?Sc...ry_Code=GPUNDER