Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#94059 - 01/31/03 11:23 AM 97 GP won't shift out of park!
dshipley Offline
Loc: Middletown, OH, USA
A week or so ago I got in the car, started the engine, and tried to take it out of park. The shifter wouldn't budge. I could hear the click of something in the dash as I push the switch on the shifter as always. The shifter is in the console of course. I tried pushing down on the button beside the shifter but that doesn't help. I took out the little plastic cup in front of the shifter and stuck my hand down the hole as far as I could. I can feel a piece of plastic that feels like it's shaped like an "L" and if I push down on the horizontal surface or toward the driver on the vertical part the shifter will come out of park. Can someone tell me what to do to fix it??
TIA!
#94060 - 02/01/03 01:28 AM Re: 97 GP won't shift out of park!
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Hello,

I don't know if this is the case but, the only thing I can think of is....
Check to see if the fuse, or switch to your brake lights are working. I believe the release is operated by the same current as your brake lights, if they are not lighting up, that would be the problem. I may be way off base here, but, It's something to start with.
Later now,

http://pdxcgp.com
#94061 - 02/05/03 02:39 PM Re: 97 GP won't shift out of park!
Erwin Offline
Loc: Canada
The system is called BTSI or Brake Transmission Shift Interlock.

There is a solenoid type unit that needs to pull in so that the shift selector will move. It is powered via the brake light switch, but it also has wires that go through the transmission position switch so that the system is only activated when in park and the brake is on. Otherwise it would do its thing everytime you are on the brake and that would wear it out and or be anoying to the driver. I would suggest checking for power on the BTSI solenoid when in park and the brake is on. If you have power, I would go on to check for binding before replacing the solenoid. If no power, I would check for power at pin C of the 7 pin connector C1 at the transmission switch. The transmission range switch is near where the Select cable comes to the transmission.
#94062 - 02/09/03 11:51 AM Re: 97 GP won't shift out of park!
dshipley Offline
Loc: Middletown, OH, USA
Thank you for the reply about my GP not shifting out of park. I guess I'm going to have to take the console apart to get to the problem. It's a little cold here for working outside nowso I guess I'll wait till it warms up a little. I wish I had a schematic for it. I have a book that I bought at Autozone but it only has a few of the main circuits.