Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#94195 - 01/13/06 10:38 PM Reminder for racers.
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Hello,

Just a heads up, or reminder for those that knew it was coming.......

Quote:
Effective Jan. 1, 2006, where a Snell-rated helmet is required in NHRA competition, the Snell 90 helmets will no longer be allowed. In the General Regulations section of the 2006 NHRA Rulebook under Helmet and Goggles are expiration dates for all Snell and SFI-tagged helmets, including the Snell 2005 and SFI Spec 31.1/2005, 41.1/2005, and 24.1/2005 guidelines.
Also, for those that have never been to the track if you plan on racing this season, remember....

1. No shorts allowed while racing. You must have something covering your legs.
2. No open toed shoes.
3. A helmet is required if you run 13.99 or faster.
4. Battery must be held down.
5. Radiator is required to have a recovery tank.

These are just the basics. If you are a beginner racer in a Grand Prix, these should cover your needs.

Later now,
Clint

http://pdxcgp.com
#94196 - 01/13/06 11:45 PM Re: Reminder for racers.
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Thanks for posting, Clint.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#94197 - 01/14/06 06:49 AM Re: Reminder for racers.
DoberManJT Offline
Loc: North Carolina - Raleigh/Cary
I've been to the local 1/8 and 1/4 mile tracks plenty of times as a spectator, but never as a driver. Very good info for "noobs"!

Can you clarify on the battery rule? Is the stock tray for the battery not considered safe enough so you have to somehow tie it down or restrain it?

04 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, LPE intake system, headers, dyno tune from "RPM"

http://photobucket.com/albums/v221/Dobermanjt/GrandPrix/
#94198 - 01/14/06 09:44 AM Re: Reminder for racers.
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Stock battery placement should already be secured in place.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#94199 - 01/14/06 11:58 AM Re: Reminder for racers.
crimpton Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by DoberManJT:
Can you clarify on the battery rule? Is the stock tray for the battery not considered safe enough so you have to somehow tie it down or restrain it?
Stock setup is fine.
They only stipulate that your battery be secure. If you have installed the wrong sized battery, and the stock tray doesn't hold it secure than you will need to provide other means to secure it.

#94200 - 01/14/06 02:10 PM Re: Reminder for racers.
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
You would be surprised how many people are running around without the battery being secured. It should be secured for everyday use as well not just at the track. I believe all motorsports events from drag racing to off road events require the battery to be secured.
#94201 - 01/14/06 05:51 PM Re: Reminder for racers.
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Thanks for the info crimpton!
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#94202 - 01/20/06 10:06 AM Re: Reminder for racers.
crimpton Offline
Hello,

Heads up for sprayers, and Turbo people, I recently found this out......

Quote:
10.00 and slower cars with non OEM supercharger, non OEM turbocharger or nitrous oxide equipped and a full OEM firewall or .024 steel firewall.
Jacket meeting SFI spec 3.2A/1 is mandatory.
This means if you have either, and, or Nitrous, a Turbo, a Non OEM Supercharger, you need a fire rated jacket in the tech lane. You may get through without it, pending on the knowledge of the techs, and how well the track follows the rules. Just a heads up.

#94203 - 01/20/06 11:26 AM Re: Reminder for racers.
4rsssfed_grandprix98 Offline
Loc: South Bend
Quote:
Originally posted by crimpton:
3. A helmet is required if you run 13.99 or faster.
Got kicked out last time I was at the track, its kinda fun to hear them talking to you after you finish your 1/4 and them saying you cant enter the staging lanes again without a helmet :p hammer

Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
You would be surprised how many people are running around without the battery being secured. It should be secured for everyday use as well not just at the track. I believe all motorsports events from drag racing to off road events require the battery to be secured.
Yeah, I was out cruisin with a group of friends last summer and this guy in a talon didnt have his battery fastened securely, we were all messing around, and we all started to get on it, well the guy in the talon shifted hard into second and it threw his battery out of the tray and it shorted out the car. Lost power to everything and almost rear ended me because his breaks werent functioning due to the power loss

MAKE SURE YOUR BATTERY IS SAFE!!!!

VS Cam,CompCams lifters,ZZPpushrods,Rollmaster double,4"intake,PLog headers,3"exhaust,IntensePCM,3.3"mps,ZZPHDTrans,3.29gears,2500 stall,GMPP adjustable suspension,TB spacer,160*tstat