Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#94710 - 05/01/02 03:51 PM How many people like this new format better?
Redshift Offline
Loc: Raleigh, NC
Do you think this is better than Yahoo Groups?
#94711 - 05/01/02 04:11 PM Re: How many people like this new format better?
Shag Finger Offline
Loc: Born and raised in Baltimore, ...
The place is mega cool
#94712 - 05/01/02 04:19 PM Re: How many people like this new format better?
blugu Offline
Loc: San Antonio
Yes and no. I like the way Yahoo groups was a "mailing list" that arrived in outlook express every day. Where as the fourms are a tad more involved in reading up on, though the fourms are more capable to handle really large communities. Just my 2 cents...

ohh ya, here's 2 more cents. Would you think about a catagory for us 89-96 Grand Prix's? Right now http://www.clubgp.com is the only place I've found discussion about them. thanks in advance
Automatic
Quad 4
http://homepage.mac.com/blugu64
#94713 - 05/01/02 04:28 PM Re: How many people like this new format better?
Redshift Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by blugu:
Yes and no. I like the way Yahoo groups was a "mailing list" that arrived in outlook express every day. Where as the fourms are a tad more involved in reading up on, though the fourms are more capable to handle really large communities. Just my 2 cents...

ohh ya, here's 2 more cents. Would you think about a catagory for us 89-96 Grand Prix's? Right now http://www.clubgp.com is the only place I've found discussion about them. thanks in advance
If the interest is high enough I can surely do that. Why don't you post a new topic and get people to respond with their interest level, and we'll go from there?
#94714 - 05/01/02 04:43 PM Re: How many people like this new format better?
GTPBoost Offline
Loc: Kent, WA
I purposely have seldom participated on ClubGP for the simple reason that I hate web boards. It's much easier to get mail sent to me and have it filtered to it's own folder and read it when I want. If I was on dial-up, many still are, I'd not be able to hate web boards enough. They can be slow, the threads are no more difficult to follow and frankly I don't know what ads you were talking about Brian. Were there ads being attached some the email for some people? Hell if I know. But I think if the list is going to die I'd be happy to take it over if you're sick of it. Just for comparison, I see just as much useless or repetitive crap, if not more, posted on the ClubGP boards as was on the list. I haven't posted on the list lately because I'm just floating along and reading occastionally but I can't express my dislike for web boards enough, might as well be an AOL board the way I see it.

Another thing, I can archive for myself list posts but if the web board goes down and there's no backup then the posts are lost. This very thing happened on ClubGP recently.

R.C. Mitchell
#94715 - 05/01/02 06:33 PM Re: How many people like this new format better?
Paul Jerkatis Offline
Loc: Morristown, IN
I agree with R.C. I much prefer the Email List format. I'm bandwidth impaired at home, and, when out of town, often would read the email list on my SmartPhone.
#94716 - 05/01/02 06:59 PM Re: How many people like this new format better?
Chris Jarrett Offline
Loc: Delaware County, PA
I like it. I loved all of the information available through the emails, but I feel you can get just as much if not more throught the forum format. I also travel a lot and dont always have access to email, and when I would get home my email account would be frozen because of too many emails. Both have their advantages, both I like this way better. Just my $.02. [Computer]
Fully Loaded
Reflective Badges Everywhere, S.S. Grilles, Thrasher CAI,
Painted Calipers,
180 T-stat, titanium tint,Blazertech 3200's, ASP 3.4
Chinny's Rims
#94717 - 05/01/02 08:07 PM Re: How many people like this new format better?
Charley Bogwill Offline
Loc: West Des Moines, Iowa
As I stated in the email, web boards tend to get bogged down with extraneous topics. Sure you don't have to click them, but you still have to dig through them.

There is already a GP web board (www.clubgp.com), so this is a bit repetitive.

BTW, what problems did you have with Yahoo? I never got any ads from them (besides the tagline at the bottom of the mail, but who really notices that?)
#94718 - 05/01/02 10:15 PM Re: How many people like this new format better?
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
I never really go to ClubGP because of this type of format....Since I've become familiar with a lot of the people who post here, it may be different, but, I really like the posts going to my own mail box.........
Does this mean that it will be some time before anyone tells a newbie to "search the archives"? Since there really is no archives for this BB?

http://pdxcgp.com
#94719 - 05/01/02 10:30 PM Re: How many people like this new format better?
Redshift Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by GTPBoost:
I purposely have seldom participated on ClubGP for the simple reason that I hate web boards. It's much easier to get mail sent to me and have it filtered to it's own folder and read it when I want. If I was on dial-up, many still are, I'd not be able to hate web boards enough. They can be slow, the threads are no more difficult to follow and frankly I don't know what ads you were talking about Brian. Were there ads being attached some the email for some people? Hell if I know. But I think if the list is going to die I'd be happy to take it over if you're sick of it. Just for comparison, I see just as much useless or repetitive crap, if not more, posted on the ClubGP boards as was on the list. I haven't posted on the list lately because I'm just floating along and reading occastionally but I can't express my dislike for web boards enough, might as well be an AOL board the way I see it.

Another thing, I can archive for myself list posts but if the web board goes down and there's no backup then the posts are lost. This very thing happened on ClubGP recently.

R.C. Mitchell
Ads when trying to read posts, ads on top and bottom of each page, it was getting to be too much. I can't stand ads.

I realize having email is handy, but this board is not going down and is searchable. Its not that big of a deal IMO to just visit here and skim through the topics. If you find one that you like, use "UBB Friend" to email it to yourself for later reference. This has less clutter.
#94720 - 05/01/02 10:32 PM Re: How many people like this new format better?
Redshift Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by crimpton:
I never really go to ClubGP because of this type of format....Since I've become familiar with a lot of the people who post here, it may be different, but, I really like the posts going to my own mail box.........
Does this mean that it will be some time before anyone tells a newbie to "search the archives"? Since there really is no archives for this BB?
The board and all its topics from today through the end of time will always be available and easy to search through. Searching is easier and more meaningful here. You can search by author, words, dates, etc.
#94721 - 05/02/02 01:59 AM Re: How many people like this new format better?
GTPBoost Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian A. Marks:
Ads when trying to read posts, ads on top and bottom of each page, it was getting to be too much. I can't stand ads.

I realize having email is handy, but this board is not going down and is searchable. Its not that big of a deal IMO to just visit here and skim through the topics. If you find one that you like, use "UBB Friend" to email it to yourself for later reference. This has less clutter.
I guess you were using the web interface then Brian. I'd bet if we looked at all the membership on the Yahoo list and what format most people were using it would be email, whether individually or by digest.

Now how in the world can you guarantee that this web board won't go down? I've yet to run a server that hasn't gone down at some point and unless it's utilizing automated backups there will be threads lost. My email archive is certainly searchable too. When I know something is in the archives I don't get it from the ones online, I get it from my database and I never fail to hit on what I want to find. As for emailing an idividual item to myself... I may not find some item of great use right now but might later and I'll surely recall having read about something and then could search my whole archive.

I think it's unfortunate that you just decided for yourself that this was a better answer without any input from the people that actually use the list. Yahoo has a polling function, this would have been a good time to use it. Think about it, the last time you posted to the GPML was Jan 2001. Yes I had to look, but I knew it had been ages. Haven't even seen you get on someone for the flame crap that gets tossed about regularly. I'd hardly even have guessed you were even reading it anymore.

I'll admit this board seems to work nice, but then it's not even close to being overloaded yet.

Actually I think a UBB board would be great, IF you had an option as a subscriber to get it all in email. I haven't seen this option on any UBB board and the cost that is encountered to run a UBB board with the required bandwidth for it to run smoothly has to be many times that of a an email list.

R.C. Mitchell
#94722 - 05/02/02 02:00 AM Re: How many people like this new format better?
GTPBoost Offline
Quote:
The board and all its topics from today through the end of time will always be available and easy to search through. Searching is easier and more meaningful here. You can search by author, words, dates, etc.
I have no problem doing that now.

RC
#94723 - 05/02/02 02:17 AM Re: How many people like this new format better?
kcopegp Offline
Loc: Columbus, OH
I did like the e-mail format but can see benfits to this format as well. I have been a constent user of the clubgp forum for a while now. I just hope that this doesn't couse a conflict.
#94724 - 05/02/02 02:54 AM Re: How many people like this new format better?
GTPBoost Offline
To be clear Brian, I'm not saying that this sucks and Yahoo rules although I did vote that way on the poll here. The point is that for many the loss of email as their medium of choice for participating is a big problem.

As far as web based boards go, Yahoo sucked and yes UBB is better, way better. But I, and many like me, didn't use the web interface. I never saw ads except the one added as a footer to each email sent. And you know what I mean by that. wink In fact I see one right now at the top of the page. devilgrin

I don't know anything about managing UBB as I've never done it or needed to, but this could work great if it was tied into some list management software that would send each post in email to a subscriber. That was eGroups strong point, notice I didn't say Yahoo Groups because it's had it's problems lately and eGroups hasn't been the same since shortly after the Yahoo takeover. Hope everyone sold their Yahoo stock before it went in the dumper. eek

RC
#94725 - 05/02/02 07:46 AM Re: How many people like this new format better?
John Offline
Loc: Illinois
Hi,
I'm afraid that we will loose a lot of people and good discussions because of this new forum. Having to open a web browser instead of a simple email reader, turning on cookies and then having to login is a pain.
Having mail arrive in your mailbox is nice and simple. As for the ads I've never been bothered by them, nor know what you are talking about.
I have been on the list from the beginning and in my opinion this is a giant step backward.
I'm sorry that I will now be missing a lot of good information because of this new UBB as it it is just too time consuming and a hassle to use this web based UBB, this is one reason why I've never liked or participated in the ClubGP UBB.

IMHO this was a bad move. Why not let the users decide?

--John
#94726 - 05/02/02 07:58 AM Re: How many people like this new format better?
dbecicka Offline
Loc: Fairfax, IA
I agree with many of the others here, I enjoyed the mail list because I could read what I wanted when I wanted. I am not one who does a lot of talking on the baord but I do enjoy reading what everyone has to say. Also, with the e-mail list I was able to filter messages, here I can't do that.
I hope we will be able to have a choice again soon.
dbecicka
#94727 - 05/02/02 08:36 AM Re: How many people like this new format better?
Redshift Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by GTPBoost:
I guess you were using the web interface then Brian. I'd bet if we looked at all the membership on the Yahoo list and what format most people were using it would be email, whether individually or by digest.
I was using the web interface. Yes, lots of people were using email. I do believe the emails also had ads tacked on to them.

Quote:
Now how in the world can you guarantee that this web board won't go down? I've yet to run a server that hasn't gone down at some point and unless it's utilizing automated backups there will be threads lost. My email archive is certainly searchable too. When I know something is in the archives I don't get it from the ones online, I get it from my database and I never fail to hit on what I want to find. As for emailing an idividual item to myself... I may not find some item of great use right now but might later and I'll surely recall having read about something and then could search my whole archive.
I can't guarantee it, but our provider has an excellent record of never being down in several years and all systems are on redundant servers as well as redundant network connections. This is no small-time server sitting in my closet that is run off a cable modem line going into my house. Its a true, professionally run, dedicated server and downtime should honestly be minimal, if any, and speed will remain lightning fast. I can't guarantee no network problems between you and the server, but I can almost guarantee excellent server performance otherwise.

Quote:

I think it's unfortunate that you just decided for yourself that this was a better answer without any input from the people that actually use the list. Yahoo has a polling function, this would have been a good time to use it. Think about it, the last time you posted to the GPML was Jan 2001. Yes I had to look, but I knew it had been ages. Haven't even seen you get on someone for the flame crap that gets tossed about regularly. I'd hardly even have guessed you were even reading it anymore.
I didn't do it as a selfish "screw you all I'll do what I want" decision. Though not with you, I had discussed this with several people and everyone thought it was a smart way to go. So far most people seem to like it better, and we cater to a different crowd than the other message board out there, so its not like its a worthless effort. Frankly I was reading very little of the old list just because of the slow speed and advertising. Mail was not an option for me as I already get hundreds and hundreds per day that I barely have time for. This may allow me to be more involved (which some people may consider a bad thing wink ) but for the most part I still think this has advantages.

Quote:
I'll admit this board seems to work nice, but then it's not even close to being overloaded yet.
See above. We will stay ahead of the GHz and MB curve so that it does not become overloaded.

Quote:
Actually I think a UBB board would be great, IF you had an option as a subscriber to get it all in email. I haven't seen this option on any UBB board and the cost that is encountered to run a UBB board with the required bandwidth for it to run smoothly has to be many times that of a an email list.
I think those are all things that Infopop plans to build into UBB in the near future.
#94728 - 05/02/02 12:29 PM Re: How many people like this new format better?
John Offline
If you (Brian) prefered to use the web based reader why didi you not continue to do so and let the rest who wanted to receive email do so?
So far, the "heck yea's" only have 48%.
As for hundresd of emails daily, thats what filters are for.
#94729 - 05/02/02 01:21 PM Re: How many people like this new format better?
Charley Bogwill Offline
Loc: West Des Moines, Iowa
Quote:
Frankly I was reading very little of the old list just because of the slow speed and advertising. Mail was not an option for me as I already get hundreds and hundreds per day that I barely have time for.
So what is the difference between getting emails and using their 'slow' interface?

The email list also offered a digest format that would group many messages together.

Although I wish this board the best, and i'm sure you have positive expectations for this board, I'm not so sure it will work. ClubGP.com started out with good intensions also, and there is a lot of useless banter on there.

Since so many people want the list, why cancel it? You can still maintain your board here, and let the list run like it always has. There isn't any work letting the list run (no moderation, etc), and i don't believe there is a fee either.

Just my thoughts.
#94730 - 05/03/02 12:53 PM Re: How many people like this new format better?
Steve Walker Offline
Loc: Va. Beach VA
I personnally will miss the "digest" part. I too don't like the same format that Club-GP has. Now we have two. I don't see why?
#94731 - 05/03/02 01:04 PM Re: How many people like this new format better?
Doug Rogers Offline
Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
So far most people seem to like it better, and we cater to a different crowd than the other message board out there, so its not like its a worthless effort.
A different crowd? Please elaborate.
#94732 - 05/03/02 01:56 PM Re: How many people like this new format better?
Curt Rosenstengel Offline
Loc: Grand Rapids, Michigan
I had to login to check this new Board out. I probably won't login to it very much now as I don't have the time or bandwidth to be reading an online board. I would much rather have a choice to have an email instead. I think you will lose much of the bad content as well as the good content. Reading one or two digest's a day only took about 15 minutes day, this type of format will take much longer. Will it be easier to search than the old archives??
#94733 - 05/03/02 03:17 PM Re: How many people like this new format better?
DeMAN Offline
Loc: SE, TX.
Works for me. cheers Can you also include MSN IM icon as alot of members are now using it to communicate.

I'm surprised that you didn't use this format from the start.

"PERFORMANCE UPGRADES"

3.0 PB Pulley, 1.9 Intense Rockers, Aquatune Water Injection, GPstore PCM, NGK TR6 Plugs (gap .060), Casper's AFPR, & Fan Switch, MSP CAI, 160* Stat, 3/3 RTDC into Custom Exhaust 3"w/2-2.5" Dynomax Welded UF Mufflers W/ MSP Tips, BF Goodrich G-Force T/A 255-50-ZR17, adjustable spring spacers, MSP Poly MM's, 12" front brakes
#94734 - 05/03/02 03:44 PM Re: How many people like this new format better?
Redshift Offline
This is my last reply here on this topic.

I'm sorry to the people who don't like this format, but we made the decision that this is best for now. UBB may be supporting email digests and postings in the near future, and that will probably make you quit yer whining wink

Seriously, there are advantages to this over what we had before. And there are disadvantages. If you hate the new board that much, don't post here. I'm not trying to be mean, but something had to be done and we did it.

For now, this is the best we can do.

Enjoy what you can.
#94735 - 05/03/02 03:53 PM Re: How many people like this new format better?
Chrissy from MA Offline
Loc: Kingston, MA
I dont really like the new list as much. I prefered email each day as Im hardly home and alot of the time read my email from my Cell phone...and with the emails in digest form you could learn 'bout stuff and save it in email for future reference when YOU need it...This is to much like ClubGP which I dont care for. I guess im just confused as to why it was made,in my opinion, harder to learn and meet other GP fanatics. confused

Mods: Thrasher CAI w/ Relocated IAT Sensor, STB's, 180-Tstat, RT High flow CAT, SLP Loudmouth Exhaust, DHP PCM, MSD Coils,GM Tranny Cooler, Painted calipers w/ Grandprix decals,MSD Coils,PIAA superwhite headlights and Superwhite fogs,clear corners, and a whole lotta bass....
#94736 - 05/03/02 07:50 PM Re: How many people like this new format better?
Bob Morrison Offline
Loc: Parkville, MO
I actually prefer this format. I was receiving the digest and I was just about to unsub because of the fact that not many people seem to understand the cut&paste response. Instead, it was constant scrolling through multiple generations of the post and its many replies. I only received the digest home, so at the end of the day I read the topics of the day wading thru all the topics I had no interest in and trying to scroll quickly thru the previous posts attached to the new posts. It got tiresome and I couldn't quickly jump down the digest to the topic I was interested in.
I opted for the digest because I didn't want to come home at the end of the day to find hundreds of emails sitting in the inbox.

I find this format allows me to quickly scan the topics and jump to the ones of interest.

IMO a very good move Brian!

Thanks,

Bob Morrison
#94737 - 05/04/02 07:30 PM Re: How many people like this new format better?
John Offline
devilsad devilsad hammer
#94738 - 05/05/02 08:11 PM Re: How many people like this new format better?
Phil C. Offline
Loc: Louisville
Yea i like the way yahoo would get an email everyday with all the posts. it was much easier
my two cents worth also smile
#94739 - 05/06/02 12:56 AM Re: How many people like this new format better?
Mike Kessler Offline
Loc: South Dakota
It would be nice if an automatic email went out once a day that listed links to the new posts.
It would also save your bandwith because we would only use the web if new things were posted on topics that were a real interest to us.
#94740 - 05/08/02 05:25 AM Re: How many people like this new format better?
Matt Shaw Offline
Loc: San Bruno, CA
Quote:
Do you think this is better than Yahoo Groups?
The main problem I have with these web-based forums is that I am on several of them, and that means I have to do a lot of clicking and surfing to get around to them, whereas with mailing lists I could just get them all in my email client, filter them, and deal with everything at one time in one place. I could effortlessly jump between them or my other email and resume without any effort. Now I have to keep multiple browsers open if I want to do that, and try to remember that that was what I was doing.

But I'll live. Although I've been with Brian since he ran the list by hand and have always followed it, I haven't posted a huge amount so probably not much will change. I'm sure I won't read as much because it's simply not as convenient to do so.

You *could* get a copy of mailman or some other program and run your own mailing list, which would eliminate all the banner ads and stuff.
#94741 - 05/08/02 06:41 PM Re: How many people like this new format better?
BrentA Offline
Loc: Mission, KS
I'll definately miss the old list, I'm not sure if I'll stay on this web based board or not, but I'll try.
Brent I. Adams '98 Silvermist GTP Coupe Poly bushings, Thrasher airbox, tranny cooler, 3.4" pulley, U-bend replaced, F-bar, Blazertech 2200's, Crossover wrap, Rat heat shield, Borla tips, Taylor wires, NGK TR55's, stereo stuff
#94742 - 05/08/02 06:50 PM Re: How many people like this new format better?
BrentA Offline
Loc: Mission, KS
I don't know how many of you are aware, but there is a second GP list on yahoogroups. I can't remember who the moderator was, but it's listed as "gpowners". I'll send a test message to find out if it's still up.
Brent I. Adams '98 Silvermist GTP Coupe Poly bushings, Thrasher airbox, tranny cooler, 3.4" pulley, U-bend replaced, F-bar, Blazertech 2200's, Crossover wrap, Rat heat shield, Borla tips, Taylor wires, NGK TR55's, stereo stuff
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >