Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#94948 - 09/24/02 12:22 PM Polishing abraded headlight lenses
Adrien Offline
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Over time, the headlight lenses on my '99 GTP have become abraded and are covered with small pits. Would it be possible to polish out the abrasion with an aircraft windshield (plexiglass) polishing kit. I believe the headlight lenses are polycarbonate. Does anyone have any idea if this would work?
#94949 - 09/24/02 02:07 PM Re: Polishing abraded headlight lenses
Neo GTP Offline
Loc: Niagara Falls
Had the same problem. Looked for a good product but did not find one. So I just bought the new headlight pots for around $60 each came with a spare bulb too.
#94950 - 09/25/02 10:45 AM Re: Polishing abraded headlight lenses
Dave1963 Offline
Loc: Flanders, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by Adrien:
Over time, the headlight lenses on my '99 GTP have become abraded and are covered with small pits. Would it be possible to polish out the abrasion with an aircraft windshield (plexiglass) polishing kit. I believe the headlight lenses are polycarbonate. Does anyone have any idea if this would work?
It should work fine, try on small area first.
#94951 - 09/26/02 10:32 AM Re: Polishing abraded headlight lenses
cap Offline
Loc: Canada
Well, hello from the Great White North. smile Since I'm a professional pilot of 36 years, I just may be able to help. Firstly, depending on the amount of abrasion, you may/may not have success with the polish(s) you mentioned. If not, try something call 'Jewellers Rouge'. It's used on aircraft windows(plexiglass) to remove score marks and abrasions of all sorts. Where can you get this stuff? Try jewellery stores where they have a jeweller. laugh Comes as a red clay bar and requires some 'strong arm' to put it on and take it off, but it works. Similar to the clay bar used to take off 'hairline scratches' on your clear coat. They sell that product on the GP Store also, I believe. Haven't tried that but I do know the Rouge works fine and lasts a long time. I have/have had the same problem with my headlights and I would like to know what 'high forehead' came up with that idea for the headlights. I'm hoping that the 2004 will have changed that problem. I ain't holding my breath on that one though. laugh