Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#95698 - 08/13/07 05:31 PM egr valve?
BLEWGTP Offline
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
what does it do, and is there any way to disable it? i hate the noise i get from the cai because of it
#95699 - 08/13/07 06:00 PM Re: egr valve?
Digitallyphoenix Offline
Loc: Daytona beach, Fl
the EGR shouldnt be making noise thru the egr. if its making noise then something is broken.

the egr sends small amounts of exhaust gas into the intake to offset the airfuel mix to lower the combustion temps.

the prob with disabling the EGR is that the car accounts for the reduction in AF and if you disable it you will run lean when the car thinks that is hould be on. running lean will cause the car to detonate and damage the motor. deff Not good.

96 Z34 (3.4L DOHC RIP PB 14.81@92.2): www.cardomain.com/id/z34phoenix
L36 swap SD header, 2.5" exhaust, HV3, PowrTuner, Wideband, topswap w/ ported heads to be installed
#95700 - 08/13/07 06:23 PM Re: egr valve?
D Offline
Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Well not really, when you have a CAI the loud sucking noise you hear at first is the EGR valve open letting the exhuast gas in to warm up the car faster. Also to disable it you just need to disconnect it and block it off with the EGR block off plate. It doesnt hurt the engine, b/c the PCM just re-adjusts the Air fuel misture makeing the car run more rich causeing the car to loose MPGs like one or two. I have EGR blocked of and no problems.

1997 Grand Prix GT: ZZP SS M90 Kit--P&P Blower and LIM--3.8" Modular pulley--36# injectors--ZZP Wizair CAI--8.5mm MSD Wires--Autolite 103s@ .052--180* drilled T-stat--Tune Time Performance Tune--ZZP 2.5" D/P w/o Cat--ZZP Stage 1 HV TB--ZZP Power Log & Rear PEM--ZZP Poly Motor & Tranny Mounts--Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow Mufflers--Auto Meter Z Series Boost & Oil Pressure Gauges--Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge

New York Metro Club Grand Prix
www.nymcgp.com
#95701 - 08/13/07 06:47 PM Re: egr valve?
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
The noise goes away when the car warms up, right? If it doesn't, there could be a problem there.

If it does go away, just do what Ray said. You'll lose a bit of MPG as stated, so if you're willing to sacrifice a bit of MPG for the comfort of having a less-noisy car, then go for it. It's not that big of a difference, anyway.

I believe ZZP carries a blockoff plate.
#95702 - 08/13/07 06:53 PM Re: egr valve?
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Just do the penny mod with it. there are block off plates, but im cheap!
#95703 - 08/13/07 08:50 PM Re: egr valve?
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
Quote:
Originally posted by D:
Well not really, when you have a CAI the loud sucking noise you hear at first is the EGR valve open letting the exhuast gas in to warm up the car faster.
I've been informed by 1 ASE mechanic and a mechanic in training in my local clubs that the only time the EGR opens is while cruising after the engine is up to operating temps. IIRC they both have said "If the EGR valve was open during warm up, you car would run like crap".
The sound you're hearing is the IAC allowing air to pass by it during warm up. If you are familiar with carberators, it's acting as "a choke" for lack of a better explanation. Err go the reason the sound goes away during the warm up process.

http://pdxcgp.com
#95704 - 08/13/07 08:51 PM Re: egr valve?
Tyrehan Offline
Loc: Gastonia, NC
If I hear air being pulled in a intake, could that be the egr valve? Also could that make me have a vacuum in my crank case?
#95705 - 08/13/07 09:15 PM Re: egr valve?
BLEWGTP Offline
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
it sounds like what arcxnus said...it goes away after the car warms up...it sounds kind of like a grinding noise (sounds terrible and almost embarrassing) and i took off my intake because of it...now i have the stock airbox and i want the cai back in...so what should i do?
#95706 - 08/13/07 11:40 PM Re: egr valve?
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
The EGR runs at warm-up to help the car reach operating temps faster. Crimpton, I hate to criticize people, but those mechanics need a head check. The IAC functions all the time and changes distance very little. If it made the sound, we'd hear it all the time.

I have my egr blocked off (penny mod) with a breather filter on the exhaust side so I don't throw codes. It still makes that sound at warm up, and the sound changes if you grip the breather filter because the egr IS open during warm-up.

Blocking off the exhaust side will not stop the sound. You'll have to remove the whole thing to do that. You can do that now and block off the intake as well, but you'll throw codes unless you delete them.
#95707 - 08/14/07 02:34 AM Re: egr valve?
crimpton Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
The EGR runs at warm-up to help the car reach operating temps faster. Crimpton, I hate to criticize people, but those mechanics need a head check.
Hey Rook,

I did about 5 minutes of searching and came up with this......

Quote:
The EGR valve is opened by the application of vacuum to its control diaphragm. Some also require a certain amount of exhaust back pressure before they'll open. On newer vehicles, the valve is electronic and uses one or more solenoids or a small stepper motor. The valve should remain closed while the engine is cold and at idle. It should only open once the engine has warmed up and is running at part-throttle.
Quote:
EGR stands for exhaust gas recycling valve. During cruising speeds, the valve opens allowing exhaust into the intake manifold. The purpose of this is to cool the temperature of the combustion inside the cylinder as the spark plug fires. This in turn, lowers emissions.
Quote:
If it is open when it is not supposed to be open, at idle for instance, It will act like one monster vacuum leak and the engine will not idle or will idle really roughly.
Referrences:

http://www.misterfixit.com/egrvalve.htm
http://autorepair.about.com/od/generalinfo/l/bldef165.htm

Don't remember where I got the 3rd quote.

Maybe you can find something to eliminate the "head check".... wink

#95708 - 08/14/07 10:13 AM Re: egr valve?
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
I can tell you is ours open at idle. That is what makes the grinding sound. The breather on my EGR does suck in air and I can change the grinding just by gripping the breather filter... Perhaps GM does open it at idle and somehow compensates for the extra intake of air.
#95709 - 08/14/07 10:22 AM Re: egr valve?
SlickGTP Offline
Loc: Houston, TX
Easy way to test the theories is to unplug the EGR for a couple of days and see if it changes. If it does, then it's the EGR, if not then it isn't. Simple enough...

You'll throw a code, but once you plug it back it'll clear itself.

Kinda sorta, yeah, no?

'02 Black GTP - RIP 03/03/08 ||| '06 Black G35 MT6 - Stock ||| '73 Chevy half ton(resurrected)
#95710 - 08/14/07 07:55 PM Re: egr valve?
crimpton Offline
No theory on my part..... I'm only going by what I've been told by a professional, a mechanic in training, and what I've read...... Other than the GP BB's, I've found nothing telling of the EGR opening during warm up, or at idle....... besides failure.

Go ahead, google it..... smile